PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A quick McCourty statistic....

Status
Not open for further replies.

BritPat

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
From the always excellent Doug Kyed and the superb NE Pats Draft folks, originally picked up from the less reliable PFF.

Devin McCourty took 307 snaps at Safety last year........and allowed just 5 receptions, whilst picking off 3 passes.

Using statistics is a really bad way to evaluate individual DB play.

Except, apparently, when it's used to indicate a player stinks.

Seriously, though, they have to be taken in context. Sometimes no passes go in one direction because another player is an easier target (see: Smith, Anthony in 2007—"The safety play at that position was pretty inviting").

But, still, you can't say that those numbers are bad.

PFF is useless.

Except clearly the tape indicates a similar story - that story being McCourty excelling as a centre-fielder.

I'm not sure how accurate the stats are, I've no doubt the number of snaps will be correct, but how he lined up is open to question.

I can't see how that's a bad thing though.

PFF is useless.

There are certain things it has it's uses for, but they way they grade, from what I understand, is highly debatable. I would never use it for subjectively analysing a player - I let my own eyes do that.

There are certain things it has it's uses for, but they way they grade, from what I understand, is highly debatable. I would never use it for subjectively analysing a player - I let my own eyes do that.

It can count snaps. Any quality stops there.
It is particularly horrendous in analyzing plays, who is responsible, who isnt, etc, which is what this stat is about.
You have people who don't understand football charting plays off the TV feed. There is no way they can judge how many catches to consider allowed by McCourty.

Aside from the fact that PFF is a very controversial site that can produce absolute garbage at times, and that we really don't know whether McCourty only gave up 5 receptions playing safety or not (as much I credit the secondary's turnaround to McCourty rather than Talib, I find that awe inspiring number hard to believe) I think that McCourty is indeed a stud DB.

Judging by nothing more than the eye test alone, I would probably give him the following ratings on a scale of 10, which are obviously open for debate:

2010 season--9

2011 season--5 for the most part, jumping up to 6--6.5 by the end of the year playing FS. I also believe that a lot of his failure that year was due to very, very poor safety play

2012 season--8

I think these ratings are fair, and I think that 2/3 seasons he has played very well. In the 2010 and 2012 seasons he has definitely lived up to a 1st round draft status in my mind. I just think that there was more in play for the 2011 season that some are realizing, but all in all I think he is a very valuable addition to the secondary.

So, he's a C player:)

These stats need to be combined with tackles made , assisted or missed, and yardage and points allowed. That might show a little better picture of his effectiveness.

The issue with McCourty is initially an inexperienced backfield and then he changed positions... he looks more comfortable at Safety.

At one point this season the combined NFL experience for this secondary was less than 5 years... compare that to any of the other premier teams in the NFL.. the Ravens totaled 28 years experience.. while we finished with combined experience total of 17 years.. Dennard was a rookie and Talib joined us half way through.

One thing about D backfields, experience and time together are helpful..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots