PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Americans Catch Up With World In Winter

It's interesting that for some bizarre reason you've locked on to the winter Olympics. We're talking summer and winter games here mate, not winter anymore.

What part of summer olympics did you not grasp? Australia is an absolute lightweight when it comes to Winter Olympics and fund them accordingly. Summer olympics, well that's a different kettle of fish all together. Don't begin to start me on our funding issues leading into London 2012, as it's been topical discussion amongst Olympic programs here since Beijing.

As for the drug testing, you would do well to research the cover up jobs your Olympic committee has been doing for quite some time and the lack of transparency in your systems. One of your most famous track and field athletes is one of the greatest drug cheats of all time and that's widely known through track and field circles. It's amazing when a few strings are pulled what can be accomplished.

There's no grudge on my behalf. I amaze at what athletes do, especially the US ones. I don't condone PED's, I just believe the field of accusations is unfairly directed at other nations and that a deflective "head in the sand" mentality is simply not good enough.

The rest of your post makes little sense and I have no idea what you are trying to say being blatantly honest.

My post and every point I made was clear as crystal. Sorry if you could not comprehend the point that I made and sorry if it does not fit your claims.

Don't believe any of the stats I claimed, look them up yourself online.
table of countries by population: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Most_populous_countries
Medal table: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-time_Olympic_Games_medal_table
Caught PED users list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_of_performance_enhancing_drugs_at_the_Olympic_Games

Last edited:
Isn't that what America is based on? Winning at all costs....

Actually, no. I am going to go out on a limb here and assume you've never lived in the States. America is not based on winning at all costs. It is/was based on working your ass off and doing the best you can, leaving nothing on the table. That's why our press is proud of Ohno's silver and bronze medals. He didn't win gold you say? Well, we know he put all of his effort into it and came out with a damned good result, but most importantly, he didn't leave anything out there on the ice. Contrast that to the Canadian and Russian media I've been reading over the last couple weeks, where non-Gold winners were called "tourists" and otherwise diminished for their efforts.

Winning at all costs? That's not necessarily an American value, though that value permeates any endeavor in sport, business or politics, to our detriment. Clawing and scratching to do your best is an American value, and I know that the difference between that and winning at all costs is subtle. I'll be the first to admit that we do better as underdogs for this reason. Take our men's hockey team for example. Everyone, including myself, picked a Canada-Russia match for the gold and maybe a Swedish-Finnish-Czech race for the bronze. No one picked our boys, but they fought hard and while the sting of losing the gold medal game sucks, they won that silver when everyone expected them to be packing their bags by Wednesday.

You imply that we should be ashamed our athletes that don't bring home the gold, but I'll tell you that I'm impressed as hell with our boys and girls who won any medal, especially when no one picked them to do it. I'm just as impressed with the people who had no chance, did their best, and still wound up out of the medals. You also stated that someone who doesn't win gold is likely disappointed, but I would counter by saying that Johnny Spillane would beg to differ. I would bet you good money that he is over the moon with his silver in nordic combined, an event in which the Americans hadn't won a medal in over 80 years. Perhaps other nations will frown on efforts that don't result in the gold medal, but ours isn't one of them.

Actually, no. I am going to go out on a limb here and assume you've never lived in the States. America is not based on winning at all costs. It is/was based on working your ass off and doing the best you can, leaving nothing on the table. That's why our press is proud of Ohno's silver and bronze medals. He didn't win gold you say? Well, we know he put all of his effort into it and came out with a damned good result, but most importantly, he didn't leave anything out there on the ice. Contrast that to the Canadian and Russian media I've been reading over the last couple weeks, where non-Gold winners were called "tourists" and otherwise diminished for their efforts.

Winning at all costs? That's not necessarily an American value, though that value permeates any endeavor in sport, business or politics, to our detriment. Clawing and scratching to do your best is an American value, and I know that the difference between that and winning at all costs is subtle. I'll be the first to admit that we do better as underdogs for this reason. Take our men's hockey team for example. Everyone, including myself, picked a Canada-Russia match for the gold and maybe a Swedish-Finnish-Czech race for the bronze. No one picked our boys, but they fought hard and while the sting of losing the gold medal game sucks, they won that silver when everyone expected them to be packing their bags by Wednesday.

You imply that we should be ashamed our athletes that don't bring home the gold, but I'll tell you that I'm impressed as hell with our boys and girls who won any medal, especially when no one picked them to do it. I'm just as impressed with the people who had no chance, did their best, and still wound up out of the medals. You also stated that someone who doesn't win gold is likely disappointed, but I would counter by saying that Johnny Spillane would beg to differ. I would bet you good money that he is over the moon with his silver in nordic combined, an event in which the Americans hadn't won a medal in over 80 years. Perhaps other nations will frown on efforts that don't result in the gold medal, but ours isn't one of them.

I agree. Also its not like Hockey is a big game here. The fact that we did so well is amazing.

My post and every point I made was clear as crystal. Sorry if you could not comprehend the point that I made and sorry if it does not fit your claims.

Don't believe any of the stats I claimed, look them up yourself online.
table of countries by population: List of countries by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Medal table: All-time Olympic Games medal table - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Caught PED users list: Use of performance-enhancing drugs in the Olympic Games - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
What an utterly embarrassing post. Not only does your argument not flow logically, but you're resting laurels on populous nations where the spread of wealth is so utterly staggered to wealthy society, that the large majority of the population are near the poverty line. That's an immediate failed point as America has infrastructure, system establishment and a spread of wealth, especially through your collegiate system which gives athletes a start.

You've also failed to grasp the concept of your Olympic programs lack of transparency in drug testing and cover ups for people who have tested positive historically by providing me with a wiki page of people who were caught. Notice the problem with this?

So not only have you shown me nothing, but you've also tried to connect points that don't connect.

Quite frankly, do some proper research and present it to me accordingly.

Absolutely not! I never intimated that and you'd do well to remove such inferences. Getting to the Olympic Games is a major achievement, but as most competitive athletes would know, once you are there, the competitive beast rules and the Gold medal is all that matters. Silver and bronze are niceties and accomplishments in their own rights.

The athletes are going to be proud of medaling, but once more, ask them if they would prefer to gold or the silver? The answer will be glaringly obvious.

America is an elitist society, you idolize celebrity and sporting stars and I love it. You treat your "best" with the accolade they deserve. Don't confuse an opinion with the fact that it's well known around the world that the US strives to be the best.. or atleast tell the world you are ;).

Last edited:
just don't bust my neighbor's chops...the guy that broke your heart in the final...:)

I am one of those 'cute' Canadians that happens to think Americans are ok.

Your medal count is an accomplishment that you should be proud of, we did ok too.

And as far as hockey is concerned, both games could have gone either way. Both programs are developed at the same pace.

Congratulations to North America, and to Vancouver. It was a great Olympics.

Cheers...

Well done and well said ... :eat3:

The athletes are going to be proud of medaling, but once more, ask them if they would prefer to gold or the silver? The answer will be glaringly obvious.

The better question is whether an athlete would rather have one gold medal and three finishes out of the medals, or four medals of silver and bronze. I think you'd get a more diffusive response.

America is an elitist society, you idolize celebrity and sporting stars and I love it. You treat your "best" with the accolade they deserve. Don't confuse an opinion with the fact that it's well known around the world that the US strives to be the best.. or atleast tell the world you are ;).

I can agree with this statement, but it is a far cry from "win at all costs" wouldn't you agree?

Last edited:
What an utterly embarrassing post. Not only does your argument not flow logically, but you're resting laurels on populous nations where the spread of wealth is so utterly staggered to wealthy society, that the large majority of the population are near the poverty line. That's an immediate failed point as America has infrastructure, system establishment and a spread of wealth, especially through your collegiate system which gives athletes a start.

You've also failed to grasp the concept of your Olympic programs lack of transparency in drug testing and cover ups for people who have tested positive historically by providing me with a wiki page of people who were caught. Notice the problem with this?

So not only have you shown me nothing, but you've also tried to connect points that don't connect.

Sorry if actual data does not support any of your original claims. Sorry if your jealousy and inferiority to this country has made you blinded. But you are wrong in all your assumptions.

Last edited:

Are you suggesting that American athletes are not subjected to the rigorous Olympic drug testing standards? Where does all this bitterness come from?

The only person who can claim a Silver and Bronze medals are worthless can only be described as a non athlete themselves who lacks basic understanding.

Ask the Canadian female figure skater who won a Bronze medal if that piece of hardware is meaningless to a Gold. Why don't the Olympics just hand out one color to show how powerful being number one is.

I do find it a bit funny how you can claim we love winning at all costs yet then condemn us for appreciating our Silver, Gold and bronze medal winners.

Your anger is misplaced:mad:

Sorry if actual data does not support any of your original claims. Sorry if your jealousy and inferiority to this country has made you blinded. But you are wrong in all your assumptions.
I have nothing to be jealous of the United States. You're a great country filled with nice people. I also know how to research a subject properly, unlike you. Your data supports nothing. It supports people who tested positive at the Olympic Games. When you are smart enough to work out why this doesn't go deep enough into the subject, then we can discuss it further once you put your ego aside.

Nice try with the deflection and personal insult but a fail nonetheless.

As for you dtwisyPat, you've got your PM. I'm not going to bother with your post publicly given you've misinterpreted everything.

Last edited:
I have nothing to be jealous of the United States. You're a great country filled with nice people. I also know how to research a subject properly, unlike you. Your data supports nothing. It supports people who tested positive at the Olympic Games. When you are smart enough to work out why this doesn't go deep enough into the subject, then we can discuss it further once you put your ego aside.

Nice try with the deflection and personal insult but a fail nonetheless.

As for you dtwisyPat, you've got your PM. I'm not going to bother with your post publicly given you've misinterpreted everything.

Thanks for the email:p

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Back