PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ben Roethlisberger suffers rare, dangerous injury

Status
Not open for further replies.
I played through a lot of injuries, sometimes even just in pickup games, and sometimes it was a very stupid thing to do, but they were never of the life threatening variety. I hope that Roethlisberger and the Steelers exercise good judgement on this one.

...and plan a nice retirement ceremony where he gets a rocking chair and a vasectomy. The fans can help out by bringing clean towels.

Last edited:
Continuing the 'if-he's-so-tough-why-does-he-always-let-you-know-how-hurt-he-is?' line -- this really jumped out to me:

"Roethlisberger said that on a scale of one to 10, the pain he is experiencing is at nine, according to NFL Network’s Aditi Kinkhabwala."

I'm sure it hurts like a sunuvabeech. But still, shut. up.

Continuing the 'if-he's-so-tough-why-does-he-always-let-you-know-how-hurt-he-is?' line -- this really jumped out to me:

"Roethlisberger said that on a scale of one to 10, the pain he is experiencing is at nine, according to NFL Network’s Aditi Kinkhabwala."

I'm sure it hurts like a sunuvabeech. But still, shut. up.

emergency room part 2 - YouTube

I don't like this and not because I'm a Big Ben fan.

This increases the odds that the ravens will finish with as good as or better record than the Patriots and take one of the bye weeks. Still, the Patriots have alot of success in the 2nd half of the football season.

Anyone see the interview with Ben? I get that the injury is serious, but this guy never fails to tell everyone how hurt he is and dramatize it. It's like he wants to make sure everyone knows how tough he is and the media eats it right up.

There are a lot of quarterback in the league who suffer bruised ribs, separated shoulders, leg injuries, etc, but you never hear them talk about them the way he does. Can anyone imagine Brady, Manning, or Brees talking about their injuries as extensively and dramatically as Ben does? Even QBs like Rivers, Cutler, and Romo don't talk to the media like that.

Yep, drama queen... His croning to the media reminds me of a certain Mr. Favre in his twilight years. Except Favre would still play.

Wise guy aaaaa? Why aorta?

Ravens get lucky again... Hopefully the Steelers somehow win and then lose other games.

That's the best case scenario, I'd personally be satisfied with either a) Steelers pull off 1 or 2 of the Balti games and manage to make the postseason or b) Steelers get swept and miss the playoffs. I'd be extremely pissed if Steelers get swept and still manage to make the playoffs while beating the other teams and Ben coming back just in time for the stretch/playoffs, that would be awful.

I think you might be getting a little greedy with your scenario ;) but yes that would be great.

He's already been ruled out of this week's game.

Roethlisberger Dislocated Rib (OT?)

(I don't think this is too far OT since the Steelers' remaining three games against the Ravens and Chargers will definitely play a role in determining the Playoff seedings in the AFC, even if Pittsburgh is not in the Playoffs itself.)

Mods, please merge. I just saw that someone else beat me to the gun with the topic. Sorry.

I didn't even know you could dislocate a rib, but when I Googled the condition, it turns out to be a painful injury with potentially serious consequences if not treated well. It also seems to need a good bit of time to heal.

This article almost (emphasis on almost) makes me feel badly for Roethlisberger, but his off-field behavior (i.e., what nearly every objective observer said was rape without enough evidence to take it to court) gets in the way of those feelings.

Ben Roethlisberger of Pittsburgh Steelers says dislocated rib biggest worry - ESPN

Last edited:
Re: Roethlisberger Dislocated Rib (OT?)

This article almost (emphasis on almost) makes me feel badly for Roethlisberger, but his off-field behavior (i.e., what nearly every objective observer said was rape without enough evidence to take it to court) gets in the way of those feelings.

I didnt realise it was that bad. Without having paid much attention to the story I came away with the impression that he was just a real, pushy, drunken, egotistical jerk with women.

Wow, tough crowd....But then I guess he's earned the "drama queen" label over the years. I think it's basically harmless and not anything to get worked up over, but even some Steelers fans (myself included) are a bit exasperated with it.

That all said, I don't really see that he did much wrong in this instance. He didn't hold a "press conference"; he answered questions at his locker after a day of pretty alarming speculation from the Adam Shefters of the world declaring that his injury was "unusual" and "life-threatening". Of course he prattled on too much (as is his wont), but I don't think he really did much to create all of the media attention, it was already there. And of course it's going to be a circus (much more so than the Ellis Hobbs' of the world) because he's such a high-profile player.

In any event, this particular injury is real, and serious enough that I don't think he'll see the field for a long while...I'm afraid you guys are going to have to finish ahead of Baltimore on your own for that bye, because I think we're going to drop those two games :(

Wow, tough crowd....But then I guess he's earned the "drama queen" label over the years. I think it's basically harmless and not anything to get worked up over, but even some Steelers fans (myself included) are a bit exasperated with it.

That all said, I don't really see that he did much wrong in this instance. He didn't hold a "press conference"; he answered questions at his locker after a day of pretty alarming speculation from the Adam Shefters of the world declaring that his injury was "unusual" and "life-threatening". Of course he prattled on too much (as is his wont), but I don't think he really did much to create all of the media attention, it was already there. And of course it's going to be a circus (much more so than the Ellis Hobbs' of the world) because he's such a high-profile player.

In any event, this particular injury is real, and serious enough that I don't think he'll see the field for a long while...I'm afraid you guys are going to have to finish ahead of Baltimore on your own for that bye, because I think we're going to drop those two games :(

Im sorry to hear that. I never wish a season ending injury on any NFL player (except maybe Bernard Pollard).

Last edited:
Anyone see the interview with Ben? I get that the injury is serious, but this guy never fails to tell everyone how hurt he is and dramatize it. It's like he wants to make sure everyone knows how tough he is and the media eats it right up.

There are a lot of quarterback in the league who suffer bruised ribs, separated shoulders, leg injuries, etc, but you never hear them talk about them the way he does. Can anyone imagine Brady, Manning, or Brees talking about their injuries as extensively and dramatically as Ben does? Even QBs like Rivers, Cutler, and Romo don't talk to the media like that.
This guy is the Steve McNair of his generation. He will never fail to let everyone know that he's "fighting through" some injury. Its like he's the only QB in the league who plays through injuries. Meanwhile his cronies in the media will continue to propagate his "legend". Just another reason I hate him, and wish the worst for him. Makes me appreciate a true tough guy like Tom Brady even more.

...In any event, this particular injury is real, and serious enough that I don't think he'll see the field for a long while...I'm afraid you guys are going to have to finish ahead of Baltimore on your own for that bye, because I think we're going to drop those two games :(

The good news for Steelers fans is that Flacco's been lousy on the road and the Ravens won't be able to mine the film for any recent quirks/problems developed by Leftwich/Batch, so it could take some time for the Ravens defense to get a true read on the replacement QB(s).

I didnt realise it was that bad. Without having paid much attention to the story I came away with the impression that he was just a real, pushy, drunken, egotistical jerk with women.

I think most reasonable people would say that that is the *minimum* of what he did/was.

Without trying to open a can of worms here, I'll also say that (IMHO) the relative certainty of people regarding what did or didn't happen seems to largely boil down to rooting interest. Personally, I have no idea what actually happened as I obviously was not in the room, so how other people are sure about this (and I mean on either side of the argument--including Steelers fans in this who are 100% "sure" that nothing happened) is beyond me.

But I will say that regardless of what actually happened, IMO these were ultimately "he said/she said" scenarios with enough mitigating circumstances that it would have been extremely difficult to successfully prosecute. This doesn't necessarily have anything to do with whether he was actually guilty, but I do think it speaks volumes about the difficulty of proving these cases in court (people tend to forget that he was never actually charged in either case). Again, I'm not sure how someone could be absolutely sure about what happened here unless his/her belief system naturally lent itself to one side or the other (e.g. "the rich can buy their court verdicts", "it's always a money grab", "there's always a cover-up" etc.)

Im sorry to hear that. I never wish a season ending injury on any NFL player (except maybe Bernard Pollard).

It's not been declared as season-ending. But the closest similar injury was Amendola's, which I think was about 6 weeks (?)

The hope here is that we can scrape together enough 13-10-type wins to sneak in as a 5 or 6 seed, and get healthy enough to put a scare into a team (or two ;) Possible in this year's AFC I guess.

Nah. Google the details. This is a family forum that some young kids read, so I won't describe them.

The good news for Steelers fans is that Flacco's been lousy on the road and the Ravens won't be able to mine the film for any recent quirks/problems developed by Leftwich/Batch, so it could take some time for the Ravens defense to get a true read on the replacement QB(s).

Sadly Flacco seems to reserve his best road work for Pitt. I think he's had two game-winning drives in Heinz :(

On the flip side, divisional games tend to be close regardless, and Pitt has rallied in the past in the face of injuries. So I'm still hopeful for this weekend. (3 weeks from now in Baltimore, less so)

I think most reasonable people would say that that is the *minimum* of what he did/was.

Without trying to open a can of worms here, I'll also say that (IMHO) the relative certainty of people regarding what did or didn't happen seems to largely boil down to rooting interest. Personally, I have no idea what actually happened as I obviously was not in the room, so how other people are sure about this (and I mean on either side of the argument--including Steelers fans in this who are 100% "sure" that nothing happened) is beyond me.

But I will say that regardless of what actually happened, IMO these were ultimately "he said/she said" scenarios with enough mitigating circumstances that it would have been extremely difficult to successfully prosecute. This doesn't necessarily have anything to do with whether he was actually guilty, but I do think it speaks volumes about the difficulty of proving these cases in court (people tend to forget that he was never actually charged in either case). Again, I'm not sure how someone could be absolutely sure about what happened here unless his/her belief system naturally lent itself to one side or the other (e.g. "the rich can buy their court verdicts", "it's always a money grab", "there's always a cover-up" etc.)

Ben has a track record, though. Not just the Georgia case, but Vegas as well. In a court of law, he's innocent until proven guilty (or until he pays someone enough to drop the charges), but you don't have to be a Steelers' hater to take the POV that something pretty bad happened.

Last edited:
Justin Houston fan club?

I know, but F squeeler fans.

Hey mate they aren't as bad as Ravens fans. :p

I bummed to hear this. Not that I'm really a Steelers fan but I hate Baltimore so much I pull for them. Heres hoping they can still pull of the win Sun? :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down