PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bush to 49ers

I am not sure what Mike Wallace has to do with Devin Mccourty regarding why you would argue Dmac is overpaid when he has performed at an near if not total elite level, but whatever.
McCourty got paid for the same reason Wallace got paid, weak competition around them in free agency. You're saying if McCourty got paid like a top 3 FS then he's surely a top 3 FS, my counter argument to your logic is Mike Wallace who got paid like a top 5 WR but surely is not one.

I am extremely disappointed more of these talented players have not wanted to join the super bowl champion New England Patriots. A lot of big names we left unsigned.

How do you know they did not want to sign? At least in the Reggie Bush case, I kinda think it was the other way around. I suspect he left Foxboro for San Francisco without an offer.

We all assume Bush is the solution to losing Vereen. But for him to add value to the roster, he needs to demonstrate that he can win snaps away from Blount + White. What if the coaching staff just don't see him winning the 3rd down job in TC?

So many fans seem ready to disregard White's potential... I'll say it again: it was a stroke of luck that Vereen was healthy and productive all year in 2014. It means that we never saw White take snaps in game. But don't assume that because White didn't see the field that means he's a bust and we need to go back to the draft. It just means he never got his number called.

If BB was really concerned about his depth chart at RB, he would have tried a bit harder to keep Shane around. The guy has a master plan for everything.

I'd actually love to see the pats bring in trent Richardson for the 3rd down back role. He might not have been able to find any holes in Indy but he caught 27 of 34 as a pass catching back and he will definitely be cheap.

I'd actually love to see the pats bring in trent Richardson for the 3rd down back role. He might not have been able to find any holes in Indy but he caught 27 of 34 as a pass catching back and he will definitely be cheap.

no No NO NO

If BB was really concerned about his depth chart at RB, he would have tried a bit harder to keep Shane around.

I think there was zero chance of retaining Shane Vereen, much like Akeem Ayers. They were role players who earned bigger paydays and larger roles. We've seen this about 1,000 times in the Belichick era.

There was no way that Bill Belichick was going to pay 4m dollars+ per year for a guy who can't run very well as a regular back. Hell, I'm not even sure that he'd pay that kind of money for a "real" running back, let alone some of the guys that have mentioned here.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/51589/309/2015-nfl-free-agents?pg=1

Running Backs

1. DeMarco Murray (Signed 5-year, $40M deal with PHI)
2. C.J. Spiller (Signed 4-year, $18M deal with NO)
3. Ryan Mathews (Signed 3-year, $11M deal with PHI)
4. Mark Ingram (Re-signed 4-year, $16M deal with NO)
5. Justin Forsett (Re-signed 3-year, $9M deal with BAL)
6. Frank Gore (Signed 3-year, $12M deal with IND)
7. Shane Vereen (Signed 3-year, $12.35M deal with NYG)
8. Stevan Ridley
9. Roy Helu (Signed 2-year, $4M deal with OAK)
10. Reggie Bush (Signed undisclosed deal with SF)
11. Pierre Thomas
12. Ahmad Bradshaw
13. Darren McFadden (Signed 2-year, $3M deal with DAL)
14. Knowshon Moreno
15. Ben Tate
16. DeAngelo Williams (Signed 2-year, $4M deal with PIT)
17. Steven Jackson
18. Chris Johnson
19. Antone Smith (Re-signed undisclosed deal with ATL)
20. Jacquizz Rodgers

Looks like Pierre Thomas or bust.

that one handed catch had tip, int written all over it. That would have been the game
Yup. And a few of his catches were chain movers. We don't win without Vereen because he changed the way seattle defended us.

Forgot about Jacquizz..not sure what happened last year with just 29 catches, but he had 50+ the previous 2 years.

no No NO NO
Why so many no's? It's not as if Vereen was a great runner and Richardson has shown he can catch passes if nothing else, obviously if he has a bad attitude BB won't bring him in

Some comments on the Comments

1. My original thought on Bush was, "it makes too much sense, so it's unlikely to happen". ;)

2. My guess is that Bush, who is a warm weather guy, wanted more money that the Pats were willing to give to keep him in the cold. I think when details of his deal with SF comes out, it will be for in excess of $3MM/yr, and that's more than the Pats wanted to pay for a situational RB who averages 3-5 fumbles a year.

3. Helu was the perfect fit when it came to a combination of price and skill. Unfortunately he decided to go home before the Pats even had a chance to bid for him.

4. There is more than just Pierre Thomas out there. Bradshaw and CJohnson could be low cost options. OR they just might want to go with who hey have with White and Gaffney competing for the job.

5. An out of the box option would be to move Boyce to RB, since 70% of the "3rd down RB" is catching the ball anyway. Boyce is about the same size as Vareer, faster, quicker, more sure handed (in college), and has a good rep at running the ball after the catch. I might be easier for him to make the roster as a RB than as a WR. Just a thought

6. As for the Tim Wright talk, his disappearance from the game plan the last half of the season is one of the biggest mysteries I have. I'd love to find out why that happened.

7. I think signing Chandler is more about Hooman than Wright. If Chandler is as good a blocker as Hooman, as a much better receiving option, he might make Hooman redundant.

8. I talked to a Bills fan I know and he was not as high on Chandler as we are, though he acknowledged that he was great against the Pats. No so much against the rest of the league. Too many drops and only an average blocker was his assessment.

9. I wonder if the Pats might go with 4 TE's this year. It could be they might be looking for the offense to become more run orientated and control the clock more in order to protect the D. Just a thought.

10. Chandler/Wright are 2 legitimate TE receiving options. When Gronk is on the field it might take the pressure off him to be the threat up the seam. I love having TE's who can block on the field at the same time. Just by alignment, it causes some problems for DC's and makes it easier for the QB to identify the coverage. Some interesting chips for Josh to play with, and increases the intensity of the competition at TC. That's not a bad thing.

Yep. JR Redmond saw the reps and not KF.

Redmond made the biggest play on the final game winning drive against the Lambs in SB XXXVI. For him to get OOB on that run was HUGE.

Patrick Pass made quite a few plays that helped us get 3 of our 4 Lombardi trophies.

Even Mike Cloud contributed to a SB run.

No matter who the Pats put at RB they'll probably be able to contribute.

Some comments on the Comments

1. My original thought on Bush was, "it makes too much sense, so it's unlikely to happen". ;)

2. My guess is that Bush, who is a warm weather guy, wanted more money that the Pats were willing to give to keep him in the cold. I think when details of his deal with SF comes out, it will be for in excess of $3MM/yr, and that's more than the Pats wanted to pay for a situational RB who averages 3-5 fumbles a year.

3. Helu was the perfect fit when it came to a combination of price and skill. Unfortunately he decided to go home before the Pats even had a chance to bid for him.

4. There is more than just Pierre Thomas out there. Bradshaw and CJohnson could be low cost options. OR they just might want to go with who hey have with White and Gaffney competing for the job.

5. An out of the box option would be to move Boyce to RB, since 70% of the "3rd down RB" is catching the ball anyway. Boyce is about the same size as Vareer, faster, quicker, more sure handed (in college), and has a good rep at running the ball after the catch. I might be easier for him to make the roster as a RB than as a WR. Just a thought

6. As for the Tim Wright talk, his disappearance from the game plan the last half of the season is one of the biggest mysteries I have. I'd love to find out why that happened.

7. I think signing Chandler is more about Hooman than Wright. If Chandler is as good a blocker as Hooman, as a much better receiving option, he might make Hooman redundant.

8. I talked to a Bills fan I know and he was not as high on Chandler as we are, though he acknowledged that he was great against the Pats. No so much against the rest of the league. Too many drops and only an average blocker was his assessment.

9. I wonder if the Pats might go with 4 TE's this year. It could be they might be looking for the offense to become more run orientated and control the clock more in order to protect the D. Just a thought.

10. Chandler/Wright are 2 legitimate TE receiving options. When Gronk is on the field it might take the pressure off him to be the threat up the seam. I love having TE's who can block on the field at the same time. Just by alignment, it causes some problems for DC's and makes it easier for the QB to identify the coverage. Some interesting chips for Josh to play with, and increases the intensity of the competition at TC. That's not a bad thing.

Scott Chandler is regarded as a very below average run blocker. He was taken off the field on rushing downs.

I think there was zero chance of retaining Shane Vereen, much like Akeem Ayers. They were role players who earned bigger paydays and larger roles. We've seen this about 1,000 times in the Belichick era.

There was no way that Bill Belichick was going to pay 4m dollars+ per year for a guy who can't run very well as a regular back. Hell, I'm not even sure that he'd pay that kind of money for a "real" running back, let alone some of the guys that have mentioned here.

Belichick knows that you don't need a high priced or big name RB to win.

Scott Chandler is regarded as a very below average run blocker. He was taken off the field on rushing downs.

Then they'll only pass it to him and let Gronk do the blocking and pass catching. Problem solved.

Why so many no's? It's not as if Vereen was a great runner and Richardson has shown he can catch passes if nothing else, obviously if he has a bad attitude BB won't bring him in
Why not give him a shot? Doesn't it usually take RB's a few seasons before they acclimate to NFL level play? Can't he be "coached up" to actualized some of the potential he showed in college?
Or am I just kidding myself with a dream of Belichick turning TRich into a stud as a revenge fantasy against the Colts?

5. An out of the box option would be to move Boyce to RB, since 70% of the "3rd down RB" is catching the ball anyway. Boyce is about the same size as Vareer, faster, quicker, more sure handed (in college), and has a good rep at running the ball after the catch. I might be easier for him to make the roster as a RB than as a WR. Just a thought.

Pass protection is at least as important as receiving skills and we have zero information on Boyce's pass protection skills.

Another out of the box thought is Stephen Jackson as a 3rd down back. He is pretty good as a receiver.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back