PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Carwin vs. Lesnar, November 21

Awesome.

Carwin is a very dangerous opponent for Brock. I would love to see these 2 beasts just stand up and slug it out.

This fight will be a spectacle for sure. Both men weigh over 500+ pounds combined: God only knows what they'll clock in at on fight night.

However, I don't give Carwin more than a punchers chance in winning this. Too many unknown variables surround Carwin's game, mostly concerning his cardio. We've seen Brock go at least three rounds, but none of Carwin's fights have eclipsed five minutes.

Both Carwin and Brock are NCAA collegiate wrestlers, but Brock was Division I while Carwin was Division II. That's a huge gap in talent and quality of opposition. I don't see Brock having much difficulty taking Carwin down to the ground, especially if the fight goes more than one round.

In the UFC, Brock has fought top competition since his debut, and has handled them accordingly. Carwin's biggest test was Gabe Gonzaga, who came close to knocking Carwin out and could've won the fight if not for the errant decision of leaving his chin up during their final stand-up exchange. Credit to Carwin for regaining his senses enough to deliver a counter KO shot, but can he recover from a Brock-type of power shot?

I think people's hatred for Brock clouds their judgment when it comes to picking his fights, thus they'll immediately hop on the bandwagon of his challengers without objectively looking at the match-up. Carwin's got a big right hand - and it can definitely knock a few of Brock's marbles loose - but I can see multiple ways of Brock winning the fight, as opposed to just one for Carwin.

This fight will be a spectacle for sure. Both men weigh over 500+ pounds combined: God only knows what they'll clock in at on fight night.

However, I don't give Carwin more than a punchers chance in winning this. Too many unknown variables surround Carwin's game, mostly concerning his cardio. We've seen Brock go at least three rounds, but none of Carwin's fights have eclipsed five minutes.

Both Carwin and Brock are NCAA collegiate wrestlers, but Brock was Division I while Carwin was Division II. That's a huge gap in talent and quality of opposition. I don't see Brock having much difficulty taking Carwin down to the ground, especially if the fight goes more than one round.

In the UFC, Brock has fought top competition since his debut, and has handled them accordingly. Carwin's biggest test was Gabe Gonzaga, who came close to knocking Carwin out and could've won the fight if not for the errant decision of leaving his chin up during their final stand-up exchange. Credit to Carwin for regaining his senses enough to deliver a counter KO shot, but can he recover from a Brock-type of power shot?

I think people's hatred for Brock clouds their judgment when it comes to picking his fights, thus they'll immediately hop on the bandwagon of his challengers without objectively looking at the match-up. Carwin's got a big right hand - and it can definitely knock a few of Brock's marbles loose - but I can see multiple ways of Brock winning the fight, as opposed to just one for Carwin.

You know what, you make some great points in this post. I certainly would like seeing Brock lose, but I'm not sure Carwin will pull it off. You're right, he hasn't really been tested talent-wise or cardio-wise at all. My friends and I have talked about it at length, and most of us agree Brock will win.

Very good points though, thanks for the post.

Lesnar vs Carwin for early July, was at the event last night and it was amazing !

Lesnar vs Carwin for early July, was at the event last night and it was amazing !

Yeah, I guess I should've revised this thread a while ago! You were there? Amazing. I love Mir (as a fighter, I realize he acts like a jerk sometimes) and Carwin, what a fight. Imagine getting those lunchbox hands that Shane has upside your jaw. OUCH! And the GSP/Hardy fight went just as I thought. Love Hardy's stand up, but no way could he stop GSP in the clinch/takedown/ground game. But props to Hardy - those were some rough holds he didn't tap out too. A good kimura can eff up your shoulder big time, I can't believe he gritted through it. Awesome stuff.

How awesome was it live?

Yeah, I guess I should've revised this thread a while ago! You were there? Amazing. I love Mir (as a fighter, I realize he acts like a jerk sometimes) and Carwin, what a fight. Imagine getting those lunchbox hands that Shane has upside your jaw. OUCH! And the GSP/Hardy fight went just as I thought. Love Hardy's stand up, but no way could he stop GSP in the clinch/takedown/ground game. But props to Hardy - those were some rough holds he didn't tap out too. A good kimura can eff up your shoulder big time, I can't believe he gritted through it. Awesome stuff.

How awesome was it live?

It was awesome! The crowed was crazy, especially when Chuck came out!and before the event started they played this and it got me so pumped. YouTube - UFC - Baba O'Riley Highlight
when Mir and Carwin where in the clinch and he dropped him I knew Mir was done, I became a Carwin fan last night but Mir is still my favorite heavyweight, he just needs to keep his mouth shut haha. Hardy easily has the most heart Ive ever seen, I thought his shoulder poped in that kumura, GSP yanked it and I cringed. I said he better tap now or its going to be stopped but he gutted it out. Hes gonna be back, Thiago alves vs Dan Hardy? That would be a great fight! I heard a rumor that the winner of Daley vs Koscheck could be a TUF coach against GSP! Carwin Lesnar is going to be sick, I think its going to be at UFC 116.

It was awesome! The crowed was crazy, especially when Chuck came out!and before the event started they played this and it got me so pumped. YouTube - UFC - Baba O'Riley Highlight
when Mir and Carwin where in the clinch and he dropped him I knew Mir was done, I became a Carwin fan last night but Mir is still my favorite heavyweight, he just needs to keep his mouth shut haha. Hardy easily has the most heart Ive ever seen, I thought his shoulder poped in that kumura, GSP yanked it and I cringed. I said he better tap now or its going to be stopped but he gutted it out. Hes gonna be back, Thiago alves vs Dan Hardy? That would be a great fight! I heard a rumor that the winner of Daley vs Koscheck could be a TUF coach against GSP! Carwin Lesnar is going to be sick, I think its going to be at UFC 116.

Hardy always annoyed me, but his heart has lessened that a bit. I have trained mma for 5 years now, and I'll tell you both of those holds, cranked in by an athlete like GSP, hurt LIKE HELL. Unreal he didn't tap. Unreal.

I love Mir, too, but wish he would just shut up sometimes. I love his style, because most heavyweight just stand and punch or ground and pound, but he has great, great jiu jitsu skills. But Carwin's ham hands made sure they never saw the ground.

Koscheck vs. Daley should get GSP, that makes sense. I still can't imagine either beating him, but you never know.

Hardy always annoyed me, but his heart has lessened that a bit. I have trained mma for 5 years now, and I'll tell you both of those holds, cranked in by an athlete like GSP, hurt LIKE HELL. Unreal he didn't tap. Unreal.

I love Mir, too, but wish he would just shut up sometimes. I love his style, because most heavyweight just stand and punch or ground and pound, but he has great, great jiu jitsu skills. But Carwin's ham hands made sure they never saw the ground.

Koscheck vs. Daley should get GSP, that makes sense. I still can't imagine either beating him, but you never know.

Agreed, and thats exactly why I like Mir, great JJ. I think that the his hands are getting alot better and Id love to see Mir vs Velasquez. I think if Daley can stuff Kos' takedowns he will be ready for GSP but I honestly belive that the guy with the best chance to beat GSP is Kos. Great wrestling and heavy hands. Another guy who could have a chance is Paulo Thiago but I think he needs more time.

I know that I'm definitely in the minority, but I'm one of the few guys that really likes Lesnar. The guy is a f'n BEAST. Football? Didn't succeed there, so let's go to the WWE. Bored of that? Let's try professional football again. Didn't work out? Let's just become a dominant heavyweight in the UFC. No big deal.

I know that I'm definitely in the minority, but I'm one of the few guys that really likes Lesnar. The guy is a f'n BEAST. Football? Didn't succeed there, so let's go to the WWE. Bored of that? Let's try professional football again. Didn't work out? Let's just become a dominant heavyweight in the UFC. No big deal.

Lesnar is fahkin hugeeee! I was never a big fan of his but he's an animal!

Agreed, and thats exactly why I like Mir, great JJ. I think that the his hands are getting alot better and Id love to see Mir vs Velasquez. I think if Daley can stuff Kos' takedowns he will be ready for GSP but I honestly belive that the guy with the best chance to beat GSP is Kos. Great wrestling and heavy hands. Another guy who could have a chance is Paulo Thiago but I think he needs more time.

Good points about Thiago and Kos. You never know. That's the great thing about MMA - you literally never know who will beat who. Liddell looked unbeatable 2 or 3 years ago. As did Matt Hughes. Now they're out, and GSP and Silva look dominant. In a year or two, it could be someone else. Just an amazing sport.

I always admire the wrestling guys, because my background is primary BJJ/boxing, with some muay thai and judo. I have practiced only a little wrestling, so to see the raw power with which these guys execute their style is awesome.

Last edited:

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Back