PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Christianity vs. every other religion...

good to hear from you again, PFIV.

I've learned from our exchanges that less is more so i'll keep it brief

Saying that prophesies came true is belittling the prophets? Thats taking a leap that I implied anywhere that thats all they were good for.

Have a blessed evening.

Fencer said:
No. The people who put that phrase into the Pledge in the 1950s assumed that Jesus was God.

???? No.

As far as the mason's go... most 32nd degree's don't even know what is going on. That IS true.

They just think that it's an exclusive secret club that you can hang out... or something. Much more then that;

Do a Google search on Albert Pike, or Morals and Dogma (his infamous book) if you want more info on that. Interesting stuff.

Last edited:

"MORALS and DOGMA
of FREEMASONRY"

pages 220-221 OCCULT THEOCRASY – ALBERT PIKE AND GIUSEPPE MAZZINI

...league's work which he expressed in his articles in La Roma del Popolo. The public, however failed to understand the sentiment that inspired him to proclaim the existence of a divinity and denounce materialism and atheism. One was puzzled to find this man a mystic. He showed himself extremely religious yet he declared himself the sworn enemy of the Church ! " 5

Pike's literary achievements were numerous. These were, Ariel, Morals and Dogma, The Sacred Hymns, The Sephar II, Debarim, Book of the Word 6, Legenda Magistralia, Ritual of the New and Reformed Palladium (4 grades out of 5) The Book of Revelations, The Supreme Verb, The Ritual of Elect Magus, and The Book of Apadno, which latter contains the prophecies concerning the reign of the Anti-Christ from the Satanic point of view.

The theological dogma of Albert Pike is explained in the 'Instructions' issued by him, on July 14, 1889, to the 23 Supreme Councils of the world and have been recorded by A. C. De La Rive in La Femme et l' Enfant dans la Franc-Maconnerie Universelle (page 588) from which book we translate and quote as follows :

"That which we must say to the crowd is – We worship a God, but it is the God that one adores without superstition.

"To you, Sovereign Grand Inspectors General, we say this, that you may repeat it to the Brethren of the 32nd, 31st and 30th degreesThe Masonic religion should be, by all of us initiates of the high degrees, maintained in the purity of the Luciferian doctrine.

"If Lucifer were not God, would Adonay (The God of the Christians) whose deeds prove his cruelty, perfidy, and hatred of man, barbarism and repulsion for science, would Adonay and his priests, calumniate him ?

"Yes, Lucifer is God, and unfortunately Adonay is also God. For the eternal law is that there is no light without shade, no beauty without ugliness, no white without black, for the absolute can only exist as two Gods : darkness being necessary to light to serve as its foil as the pedestal is necessary to the statue, and the brake to the locomotive.

"In analogical and universal dynamics one can only lean on that which will resist. Thus the universe is balanced by two forces which maintain its equilibrium : the force of attraction and that of repulsion. These two forces exist in physics, philosophy and religion. And the scientific reality of the divine dualism is demonstrated by the phenomena of polarity and by the universal law of sympathies and antipathies. That is why the intelligent disciples of Zoroaster, as well as after them, the Gnostics, the Manicheans and the Templars have admitted, as the only logical metaphysical conception, the system of the two divine principles fighting eternally, and one cannot believe the one inferior in power to the other.

"Thus, the doctrine of Satanism is a heresy; and the true and pure philosophic religion is the belief in Lucifer, the equal of Adonay; but Lucifer, God of Light and God of Good, is struggling for humanity against Adonay, the God of Darkness and Evil."

One must not lose sight of the fact that Pike occupied simultaneously the positions of Grand Master of the Central Directory of Washington, that of Grand Commander of the Supreme Council of Charleston and that of Sovereign Pontiff of Universal Freemasonry.

In God We Trust.

Like I said before... God is a pretty loose interpretation.

Last edited:
3 to be 4 said:
ah, my man, Josh McDowell. He and Lee Stroeble are excellent writers and journalists who both have a similar story of being non-believers who set out to do a objective journalistic research to prove that Jesus wasnt who He said He was, and when they couldnt, came to believe He was indeed the Son of God.

btw, you said critics characterise this argument as an example of a false dilemma. in what way?

m just asking because I like to know the reasons behind why people believe as they do and I can certainly learn from it.

And also, to answer your question about whether it is widely accepted that Jesus shows up in the Old Testament, it is my experience within Bible based Christian circles that it is. And certainly there are hundreds of clear prophesies in the Old Testament that point the way to his arrival. As Josh McDowell has pointed out, over 300 prophesies being fulfilled through one man is a mathematical mind blower if there ever was one. Right down to the 30 coins he was betrayed for. Check out Psalm 22 and Isaiah 53.

and again there is the point of all the witnesses who went to grisly, torturous deaths, standing by their story, when all any one of them had to do was recant. Do you know many people who would go through that? For what reward do they lie?

anyway, didnt mean to go into all that, but I think a lot of the work of Josh McDowell.

the "false dilemma" was just taken from the concise quote I pulled from Wikipedia on the "trilemma" issue as they captured the issue nicely I thought

But I'd guess a false dilemma is the thinking of someone who would not view the first two options as a dilemma at all

I think the point of the trilemma is that those who like to go along with the "I like Jesus - I think Jesus was cool - he had some great ideas, about peace and loving each other but I don't think he was the son of God" need to contemplate that what they are saying is

"I think Jesus was a great man - but a liar "... or
"I think Jesus was a great man - but he was delusional"

So its a false dilemma for someone who has no problem with the liar or crazy theorems but a dilemma for those who try to rationalize their view of Jesus as great but non-divine.

Many people haven't really contemplated that they are in fact saying exactly that with the "Jesus - cool guy but not God" rationale they've bought into.

JoeSixPat said:
the "false dilemma" was just taken from the concise quote I pulled from Wikipedia on the "trilemma" issue as they captured the issue nicely I thought

But I'd guess a false dilemma is the thinking of someone who would not view the first two options as a dilemma at all

I think the point of the trilemma is that those who like to go along with the "I like Jesus - I think Jesus was cool - he had some great ideas, about peace and loving each other but I don't think he was the son of God" need to contemplate that what they are saying is

So its a false dilemma for someone who has no problem with the liar or crazy theorems but a dilemma for those who try to rationalize their view of Jesus as great but non-divine.

Many people haven't really contemplated that they are in fact saying exactly that with the "Jesus - cool guy but not God" rationale they've bought into.

Yes, i agree totally and I think most Bible based Christians are saying that too. If Jesus isnt who claimed to be, he cant be this "great guy". People who say that in order to soften their rejection of him are trying to have it both ways.

an earlier post tried to say that in todays world he wouldnt be called a liar or insane. really?? If some guy bumped into you on the street and claimed to be God that would be normal behavior, even by todays bizarre standards?

in a way its an attempt to escape responsibility for our own spiritual decisions. God has made the truth clear and people can accept it or reject it.

But Jesus isnt looking for people to reject His divinity and then turn around and say "He's a cool guy. He was alright, man"

for anyone to check out who Jesus was and what He said I would again recommend the Books of John and Matthew.

http://bibledev.azaz.com/bibleresources/bible_kjv.php

JoeSixPat said:

Joe, then the theory of the "trilemma" serves only to alienate those who are not Christians, or to attempt to, anyway. I'll get to why it's a bit silly (again) in a moment. But first let's look at the results of this argument:

1. For the Christian: he who believes deeply not only that Jesus was good, but that Jesus was God, must therefore see all non-Christians as ridiculing or condemning God - that is, if this "trilemma" argument is accepted, the holder of this opinion believes that all others in the world believe Jesus to be evil or clownish. This is not the case, so the argument encourages a sort of theological paranoia.

2. For the non-Christian: this argument is a wonderful way of challenging the non-Christian to be rude and proclaim the "foolishness" or "evilness" of Jesus. It's not an argument, as you point out, for accepting Jesus, except in the case of some very polite people who would rather convert than offend. For all others, it's most polite to just ignore the argument or show its falsity; but the believing Chestertonian sometimes sees it (mysteriously) as the be-all and end-all of such a discussion.

The falsity of the argument lies in at least two areas:

1) the supposition that only a clown/fool/what-have-you has ever falsely proclaimed himself the Messiah (or been so proclaimed, and not denied it.)

2) the supposition that the Greek bible, without any purgative support (as regards competing stories,) faithfully records the pre-Pauline phase of Christianity.

The non-Christian may or may not understand (1). I, for one, do. Religions are full of figures making various claims I do not believe; I do not, however, discard each such religion in toto because of a basic role misunderstanding on the part of a founder, or as could well be the case for Jesus, on the part of later writers. Furthermore, many significant figures in Jewish history in particular, have been false messiahs. They have not been lauded for this, but it is not a death knell to their worth either. Shabbetei Zvi is almost universally condemned, for greatly demoralizing the people in his quest for messiahship; Simeon Bar Kochba, on the other hand, symbolized zealous rebellion, and while not universally embraced, he was certainly not condemned. Neither he, nor Rabbi Akiva (who accepted his claim) is considered a fool or an evil man. (Akiva is regarded as one of the most prominent sages of his day.)

(2), for the modern reader, is also of some interest. Since Jesus spoke, rather than wrote, we have a significant gap in knowledge about his mission, as he himself understood it. Biblical scholars put a great deal of confidence in much of the "sayings" material, that is, the message as it was publicly proclaimed. The public pronouncements echoed in the gospels are primarily radicalized extrapolations of Judaism; and in that he took Jewish teaching to logical conclusions, many Jews find much of what Jesus said to be honorable and good (although Jesus has no "place" in Jewish scripture, whose canon was set by the time of his appearance.)

But a non-Christian is free to understand the arguments of the best critical minds in the field of biblical scholarship as well (as are Christians of the non-Chestertonian school of thought.) That is to say, we see that the gospels tend to agree most on the publicly preached words of Jesus, but less on things like the character of the apostles, the role of Peter, and the "second coming," or parousia. To the literalist, they must all be perfectly aligned to one another; to the outside observer, they seem not to be. This raises the distinct possibillity that rather than proclaiming himself the Man-God of Mithraism or similar Greco-Roman cults, Jesus proclaimed himself the wholly human Jewish messiah, or even a lesser figure, such as a humble teacher or prophet. So it depends on the claim of Jesus himself, not the claims of later writers. For the non-believer, these claims are debateable, based on available evidence, including but not limited to the Christian bible. To the believer, they are perfectly preserved in the gospels attributed to Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John -- despite any apparent contradictions.

A final note: in very early Judaism, there was a belief (reflected in the Torah, the so-called "old testament,") that there were beings called the "Sons of God." In one verse the "Sons of God saw that the daughters of men were fair," for example. The "Sons of God" are usually interpreted away by commentators as a sort of heavenly court; but that is not what the text says.

It is entirely possible that the early writers or storytellers literally believed that God had sons; obviously, by the time of Jesus, this meaning was passe. This is not a problem for a believer in divinely inspired text, but is a problem for the claim that Jesus is God's "only begotten son," for the so-called literalist. In other words, it is possible that, to take the bible literally, God had plenty of sons, in which case we see a contradiction. Or, it is possible that the words in the earlier verse need interpreting; but then, what of words in later scripture?

This is the sort of thing that results in interpreting, whether one calls oneself a literalist or not. To claim to literally believe every word is absurd. To claim that someone else picks and chooses, but that one is himself without the stain of the sin of interpretation, is hypocrisy or ignorance.

The only intellectually honest course of action, for me, is to understand interpretation as the native tongue of religion, and to understand scripture as divinely inspired storytelling, not literally accurate news reporting.

PFnV

Some very interesting thoughts. You are a very good writer,and I even appreciated the tone. And as, contrary to what you might have thought, all viewpoints are both welcomed and respected by me, there is really nothing I would need to comment on, expect for this one thing:

"1. For the Christian: he who believes deeply not only that Jesus was good, but that Jesus was God, must therefore see all non-Christians as ridiculing or condemning God - that is, if this "trilemma" argument is accepted, the holder of this opinion believes that all others in the world believe Jesus to be evil or clownish. This is not the case, so the argument encourages a sort of theological paranoia."

Its interesting how 2 people can have the opposite observations about the same situation. Nowhere have I seen it stated by me or any other Christians I would associate with that all non-believers are "evil" and "clownish" and are inherently "ridiculing" or "condemning" God. Just because they reject Christ. And it occured to me, that just speaking on how this relates to you and I in particular, when I first posted the "Old Testament reason.." thread, those kind of words were NOWHERE to be found or implied. In fact, the link went out of its way to condemn any negative behavior ever done in the past in the name of Jesus.

To take it a step further , it appeared to me that if there was any blanket condemning and ridiculing of a people, it was done in response by you to what I had presented. Not only was I held up to ridicule, but the generalizing of all Christians as this or that was clearly evident. And it still goes on.

at least thats how I see it. And I have a right to that, just as you have a right to see it as you do. I do apologize that things got so out of hand.

I do know that this Christian doesnt see all non-believers as ridiculing or condemning or believe that all non-believers view Jesus as evil and clownish. I know it does it exists, however, and when I see it and hear it I'm going to stand up for my God. And its not a stand taken from a non-believers simple rejection. It would be for the kind of hostility described above.

I appreciate your thoughts, you have many well thought out ones, and you are helping me to grow.

Take care

3, your tone's appreciated back. Until we whack each other on the head again, of course...

Let me clarify: the terms of the Chesterton argument are:

1) Jesus must be insane
2) Jesus must be a liar, or
3) Jesus must be divine

So, I've made "insane" into "a fool," or "clownish," and I've made "a liar" into "evil." I can see where this looks like hyperbole.

I'm glad you persevered through the hyperbole and got to the nut of the argument in this case. Obviously, some people [cruelly] laugh at the insane, but that does not make insanity identical to clownishness, and it was my error in assuming the invited reaction. Similarly, while some liars are evil, there is such a thing as a "white lie" in many peoples' minds, and others would simply state that the lie is evil, not the person.

The "anti-Chestertonian" is only invited to call Jesus a loony or a liar, not a clown, or evil. And certainly not an evil clown like that Pennywise character.

Thanks for making the reach,

PFnV

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes