PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could we get a Bowl Game/ Who to Watch type list going?

c_nice_37

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
For those of you who are college game savvy... Mind posting who to watch for in upcoming bowl games? Day/ time of the game would help too.

Thanks

I will have a listing for each of the Bowl Games up on my site with 3-6 players to watch. It also has the date/time/network on there.

Here is a listing of the first 7:

NFL Draft Homework: Bowl Games

Last edited:
Good Guide from ESPN, although I still hate patronizing their website...

Here are today's games:

St. Pete Bowl

New Mexico Bowl

Nice job. You've put a lot of work into this.

OT Anthony Davis is an interesting prospect. Some consider him a possible top 10 pick, others a 2nd rounder. I could see a team like Dallas picking him up as a succesor to Flozell Adams, or possibly SF with one of their 2 1st round picks since they need a RT to complement Joe Staley. It will be interesting to see if he really has the footwork to be a LT.

Ryan Mathews is also intriguing, though with Maroney running well I'm less interested in him than in a complementary back - either a big bruiser or a quick all-purpose guy.

The Meinecke Car Care Bowl December 26 is a great game to watch. A lot of intriguing prospects for 2010 and beyond:

- Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina - 6'5" 260# guy who has been timed in a 4.51 40, 2 time state wrestling champ, brain tumor survivor, supposedly a great kid. Possibly the best DE/OLB candidate in NCAA football right now.

- Greg Romeus, DE, Pittsburgh - 6'5" 265# guy with a great motor, still developing. Will be interesting to compare him to Quinn and get a sense as to whether he can play in space. One of the more interest 3-4 OLB conversions that I see, and a likely 2010 2nd round pick.

- Jonathan Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh - 6'5" 220# athletic playmaker who could be another Randy Moss. Baldwin and Quinn, along with LSU CB Patrick Peterson, are my favorite prospects for 2011.

- Bruce Carter, LB, North Carolina - has said he is going back for his senior season. Would compete with Sean Weatherspoon, Travis Lewis and Navorro Bowman as the most athletic 4-3 WLB. Makes plays all over the field. A bit small for the Pats at 6'3" 230#, but he's a terrific playmaker.

- Marvin Austin, DT/DE, North Carolina - 6'3" 305 top recruit who is finally beginning to play like one. Should come out this year. Is he a DT only, or can he play 3-4 DE?

- Dorin ****erson, TE, Pittsburgh - a terrific H-back prospect, worth considering for the middle rounds.

- Deion Lewis, RB, Pittsburgh - 5'8" 195# freshman scatback who is close to breaking Tony Dorsett's freshman rushing record. Dynamic player who could be a Maurice Jones-Drew/Ray Rice kind of guy, perhaps better.

Should be a fabulous game.

The Poinsetta Bowl December 23 should also be an interesting game to watch. Cal runs a 3-4 defense and has a lot of interesting prospects for the Pats beside the ones mentioned in the NEPatriots writeup:

- Tyson Alualu, DE/DT - 6'3" 295# guy who could go as high as the 2nd round this year. Considered one of the better 3-4 DE prospects.

- Cameron Jordan, DE - 6'4" 287# junior. The son of former Minnesota Vikings TE Steve Jordan, one of the best 5 technique prospects in the NCAA with a ton of upside. Unlikely that he comes out in 2010, but someone to watch for 2011. Tremendous athleticism and upside.

Cal's 3-4 defense did by far the best job this season against Toby Gerhart and Stanford's formidable offensive line, which had shredded USC and Oregon. Cal won that battle, and the game, even without Jahvid Best.

The Meinecke Car Care Bowl December 26 is a great game to watch. A lot of intriguing prospects for 2010 and beyond:

- Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina - 6'5" 260# guy who has been timed in a 4.51 40, 2 time state wrestling champ, brain tumor survivor, supposedly a great kid. Possibly the best DE/OLB candidate in NCAA football right now.

- Greg Romeus, DE, Pittsburgh - 6'5" 265# guy with a great motor, still developing. Will be interesting to compare him to Quinn and get a sense as to whether he can play in space. One of the more interest 3-4 OLB conversions that I see, and a likely 2010 2nd round pick.

- Jonathan Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh - 6'5" 220# athletic playmaker who could be another Randy Moss. Baldwin and Quinn, along with LSU CB Patrick Peterson, are my favorite prospects for 2011.

- Bruce Carter, LB, North Carolina - has said he is going back for his senior season. Would compete with Sean Weatherspoon, Travis Lewis and Navorro Bowman as the most athletic 4-3 WLB. Makes plays all over the field. A bit small for the Pats at 6'3" 230#, but he's a terrific playmaker.

- Marvin Austin, DT/DE, North Carolina - 6'3" 305 top recruit who is finally beginning to play like one. Should come out this year. Is he a DT only, or can he play 3-4 DE?

- Dorin ****erson, TE, Pittsburgh - a terrific H-back prospect, worth considering for the middle rounds.

- Deion Lewis, RB, Pittsburgh - 5'8" 195# freshman scatback who is close to breaking Tony Dorsett's freshman rushing record. Dynamic player who could be a Maurice Jones-Drew/Ray Rice kind of guy, perhaps better.

Should be a fabulous game.

Absolutely right... I mentioned in the writeup that this game is even better for 2011 Draft homework. Quinn / Carter and also Quan Sturdivant are all great defensive prospects for UNC and Baldwin will be fun to watch too.

This kid was the DE/OLB type I thought had the outstanding game against Alabama in the Sugar Bowl.

12/21/09 - SENIOR BOWL INVITE: Defensive end Koa Misi left a mid-August practice at Ute Field laying flat on a golf cart. The senior suffered a back injury, the extent of which was unknown at the time. "I thought the worse," he recalled. Misi's friends and coaches, however, kept telling him everything would be fine. Turns out they were right. Although the injury kept him out of Utah's season opener against Utah State, Misi more than made up for it. He started the next 11 games and wound up leading all defensive linemen in the Mountain West Conference with 65 tackles — earning first-team all-league honors and an invitation to the Senior Bowl. "It was a scary start to the season when he went down with that back injury. But he's 100 percent now and has had a very good year," said Utah coach Kyle Whittingham. "It's kind of a quiet year in some respects because his statistics have not been as good as maybe he hoped. But that's because he draws a lot of attention." Misi is often getting double-teamed, Whittingham noted, and opposing offenses know where he is and account for him. "It takes away some of the statistics he may have put up. But he's a very important part of our defense," Whittingham explained as the Utes prepared for Wednesday's Poinsettia Bowl game against California. "He's a guy you can count on week in and week out. That's the big thing about him. The coach added that Misi didn't have a bad game all season long. The 6-foot-3, 263-punder from Santa Rosa, Calif., ranks among team and conference leaders in several categories — including tackles for loss (8), sacks (4.5), fumbles caused (0.27 per game) and forced fumbles (3). - Dirk Facer, Deseret News via NFL Draft Scout

12/21/09 - Southern California has ruled three players academically ineligible for the Emerald Bowl against Boston College. USC announced Monday that tight end Anthony McCoy and tackle Tyron Smith, both starters, and defensive end Averell Spicer, a key reserve, will not play Dec. 26 in San Francisco. McCoy and Spicer are seniors. Smith is a sophomore. The rulings come three days after USC said it was investigating whether tailback Joe McKnight used an SUV registered to a Los Angeles businessman. The Trojans (8-4) are coming off their worst season since 2001. USC had won seven consecutive Pac-10 championships and played in seven consecutive BCS games before this season. - AP Sports via NFL Draft Scout

Hello, all. I'm watching the Hawaii bowl right now, and I'm super impressed with Kevin Basped. His length, speed, power, body control, and active hands really set him apart as a junior pass rusher. I haven't seen many college DEs this year with his polish against the pass. He might not be as effective against the run, although I saw him effectively set the edge a few times, but he can really get after the quarterback. On one play he faked outside, came back hard inside, got his hands underneath the guard's pads, drove him back past the quarterback, and dragged the passer down with one arm. Really impressive.

The downside is his weight (he's a bit on the light side at #240) , and he doesn't appear to be a full-time player, but also appears to have great upside while also posting good numbers in the meantime (almost twenty sacks over the past two years). I have to assume that at 6'6, he's got the frame to add a good twenty pounds, but that may not be the case. Still, he's a guy to keep an eye on, as sources indicate he wants to declare early. Could be a great late-round pick up to help us kick-start our DE/OLB developmental pipeline (that was for you, Mayo).

Hello, all. I'm watching the Hawaii bowl right now, and I'm super impressed with Kevin Basped. His length, speed, power, body control, and active hands really set him apart as a junior pass rusher. I haven't seen many college DEs this year with his polish against the pass. He might not be as effective against the run, although I saw him effectively set the edge a few times, but he can really get after the quarterback. On one play he faked outside, came back hard inside, got his hands underneath the guard's pads, drove him back past the quarterback, and dragged the passer down with one arm. Really impressive.

The downside is his weight (he's a bit on the light side at #240) , and he doesn't appear to be a full-time player, but also appears to have great upside while also posting good numbers in the meantime (almost twenty sacks over the past two years). I have to assume that at 6'6, he's got the frame to add a good twenty pounds, but that may not be the case. Still, he's a guy to keep an eye on, as sources indicate he wants to declare early. Could be a great late-round pick up to help us kick-start our DE/OLB developmental pipeline (that was for you, Mayo).

Thanks. Sounds interesting, though I'm not a huge fan of 6'6" 240# guys who may not have the strength and bulk to play the run. 6'6" 260# guys with athleticism is another matter. Sounds like he has some nice skills, but also like he has a ways to go to become a 3-down player in our system. As a late-round developmental pick I'd be all for it, but not earlier.

He had one strong series in the first half where the sack you saw took place, he's not been as impressive otherwise and I feel he'd be smart to stay another year and work on his weight and strength and technique. His counterpart playing on the other side, #55 Dontay Moch, has actually looked better in terms of pressure, plays behind the LOS, and hustle. He's also a junior.

Watching my recording of the Rutgers bowl victory over UCF, the OLB name to look at is Rutgers DE George Johnson. He got some consistent pressure on the UCF Redshirt Senior QB, including one to help force a pick six. NFL Draft Scout has him projected as a 7th/UDFA in the draft and reports him as 6'4 1/8" 265.

He had one strong series in the first half where the sack you saw took place, he's not been as impressive otherwise and I feel he'd be smart to stay another year and work on his weight and strength and technique. His counterpart playing on the other side, #55 Dontay Moch, has actually looked better in terms of pressure, plays behind the LOS, and hustle. He's also a junior.

Well, then, I defer to you. I only saw a little of the game (we had company over, so I didn't want to appear too rude), and he impressed me during that small sample. Thanks for the correction! :)

Well, then, I defer to you. I only saw a little of the game (we had company over, so I didn't want to appear too rude), and he impressed me during that small sample. Thanks for the correction! :)
No problem, that one series got me feeling hopeful too, but as you noted, he needs to bulk up more and another year in college is just the ticket.

Pitt/UNC this afternoon 430p est. has some players to be considered this year. And, also next year. Pitt has a de G.Romeus who might come out. A 4-3 def. end. But, we could use a guy like that. D.****erson - te/h-back. Too small for te, we might play him at fb. J.Baldwin is an outstanding soph. wr. Next years draft. H.Hynoski -fb. From my neck of the woods. 3RD YEAR soph. Pure fb.

UNC has Marvin Austin 4-3 dt. Jr. expected to declare. B.Carter olb who might come out too. R.Quinn olb/de who will return for his senior year.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back