PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DL Position Flexibility

cstjohn17

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Dependent on Wilfork, Branch, etc. there is a need for a runstopper but looking at the DE candidates I add additional weight to position flexibility. Someone like Dupree at 6'4, 270 could play DE, a little OLB and maybe, just maybe slide inside to DT to rush the QB.

I loved how the Seahawks use Michael Bennett (6'4, 274), he is a force in all passing situations.

Who are some of the other DEs that can move around?

Dependent on Wilfork, Branch, etc. there is a need for a runstopper but looking at the DE candidates I add additional weight to position flexibility. Someone like Dupree at 6'4, 270 could play DE, a little OLB and maybe, just maybe slide inside to DT to rush the QB.

I loved how the Seahawks use Michael Bennett (6'4, 274), he is a force in all passing situations.

Who are some of the other DEs that can move around?

Odighizuwa is a player I make that exact comparison for. LDE in base, moves inside on passing downs. Mayo clinic and I have been looking at these DE prospects in this way, wither at DE/OLB prospects like Dupree or DE/DT prospects like Obdighizuwa or Marcus Hardison who is 310lbs but bends like someone forty pounds and played DE at ASU but projects as a very athletic DT in the NFL.

Mayo clinic and I have been looking at these DE prospects in this way, wither at DE/OLB prospects like Dupree or DE/DT prospects like Obdighizuwa or Marcus Hardison who is 310lbs but bends like someone forty pounds and played DE at ASU but projects as a very athletic DT in the NFL.

Positional versatility is key. I want a couple of "chess pieces" who can be moved around. Bigger guys like Hardison and Mario Edwards who can play up and down the line. More agile guys who can play on the line or in space.

Regarding the latter, I divide them according to rough draft status:

Day 1/2:

- Dante Fowler, Florida. 6' 2 5/8" 261#. Played all over the line and standing up at Florida. Perfect fit but will be a top 10 pick, so out of range.

- Bud Dupree, Kentucky. 6'4" 269#. We've known he was a perfect fit for over 6 months. We also knew he would blow away the combine and be a huge riser. He's probably a top 15 pick and out of reach.

- Owamagbe Odighizuwa, UCLA. 6' 3 1/2" 266#. I have some minor concerns about his agility in space and bindability around the edge, but he has great athleticism and combat tactics, and can slide inside at times. Top 40 pick.

- Danielle Hunter, LSU. 6'5 1/8" 252#. Very long, fluid and agile. Great in space, but strong on the line, and moved inside at times. Slow to react to the snap, had limited productivity. Day 2 pick.

Randy Gregory, Vic Beasley, Shane Ray and Eli Harold all look more like LEO-like OLB/sub rushers, and will probably all be gone before the Pats pick. I don't like their fit as much, but it depends on what BB is looking for.

Day 3:

- Max Valles, Virginia. 6' 4 5/8" 251#. I thought he had day 2 tape, but he was much less athletic than I anticipated at the combine. Needs to be sorted out.

- Davis Tull, Tennessee-Chatanooga. 6' 2" 246#. Small school prospect who flew completely under my radar before the combine, when he had a 42.5" VJ and 11' BJ. Has great intangibles and productivity - Academic All American, 3 time conference DPOY. Reportedly a great motor and combat skills. Possibly a rawer version of Bud Dupree, at a fraction of the cost.

- Lyndon Trail, Norfolk. 6' 6 5" 269#. Former Florida recruit who had off-field issues and transferred. Great frame, long arms. Played some TE at the Senior Bowl. Was slow as molasses at the Combine. A major work in progress who needs to learn how to use his incredible frame.

- Obum Gwacham, Oregon St. 6' 5 3/8" 246#. Former WR and high jumper, still a developmental project at DE. Supposedly great intangibles. Athleticism wasn't as good as expected at the Combine, though not bad.

- Anthony Chikillo, Miami. 6' 3 1/8" 267#. Came on big in the post-season, more athletic than anticipated. Possibly a lesser version of Odighizuwa.

Among the bigger guys I like Hardison the best. Edwards is intriguing. Henry Anderson showed much better than expected athleticism, so I need to re-evaluate his film. Arik Amstead looks over-hyped. Xavier Cooper is intriguing, but I need to evaluate him some more.

There's one cut up of Davis Tull on youtube. Horrible. Gave up half way through. A conversion to 2-down MLB is all I could see for him.

There's one cut up of Davis Tull on youtube. Horrible. Gave up half way through. A conversion to 2-down MLB is all I could see for him.

That doesn't jibe with reports of him as a high effort guy. He's a wild card right now, but I'm hoping to eventually see more than Youtube clips. I'm just listing him as an intriguing guy to investigate, not advocating anything.

That doesn't jibe with reports of him as a high effort guy. He's a wild card right now, but I'm hoping to eventually see more than Youtube clips. I'm just listing him as an intriguing guy to investigate, not advocating anything.

Sorry I meant I gave up watching him half way through. Didn't see anything special aside from occasional glimpses of his explosion.

Preston Smith is 6'5" 270lb and ran a 4.74. Played LDE at Miss St in a 4-3. He should be on our radar

Sorry I meant I gave up watching him half way through. Didn't see anything special aside from occasional glimpses of his explosion.

Not sure which clip you saw. I liked this one:

Reminds me a bit of Dane Fletcher, who played DE at Montana St. Developmental guy, to be sure, but enough there to be interested.

Not sure which clip you saw. I liked this one:

Reminds me a bit of Dane Fletcher, who played DE at Montana St. Developmental guy, to be sure, but enough there to be interested.

That's the one. Wasn't impressed. And as you say with your Dane Fletcher comp, 1-down linebacker. #Shrugs.

I should have included Zach Hodges on my day 3 list. My bad.

I quite like him as a late round flyer

Preston Smith is 6'5" 270lb and ran a 4.74. Played LDE at Miss St in a 4-3. He should be on our radar

He is currently my favorite DE for us. He is very versatile, has played DE, DT and dropped into zone coverage. He looked good during on the field drills at the combine.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back