PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gloom & doom on Offense too

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzPatsFan

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Just like the Defense there seems to be fear about the Offense. I'll be damned if I know why.

The offensive line is solid and very deep. Established stars and grooming youngsters abound. The RBBC is condemned even when there are five guys who have produced 100 Yard efforts. With old-timers you have to expect one to suddenly go over the Hill. But not three all at the same time, and even then, that leaves two more younger players.

The TE position seem pretty good to me, with a former Pro bowler imported as a trainer and two high drafted rookies to fill out the three positions. The WRs are a little concern, with Welker gone for the first half of the season. But there is plenty left. Belichick has imported a second future HOF to go with his existing one, and while not what he once was, is still a good player; and has two good looking almost rookies to add some developmental spice.

The QB couldn't be better. Tom Brady is in his prime. Brain Hoyer probably needs another year of seasoning before attempting a Matt Cassell-like effort. But he surprised everyone last year, and has come a long way in a short time, reminiscent of a certain Mr. Brady.

The Offense was a 2nd rated in the league last season, and I think this edition looks to be stronger still.

Why the Gloom & Doom ?

I think our offense was great last year. Welker's injury is really the main reason why there is so much question. Welker has been such a huge factor in our success. Although there are other good players to replace him for now, none (Edelman, Price, Tate) have really proved themselves yet, although Edelman looks solid. The tight end position is sill a question mark until the rookies prove themselves also. Crumpler is too old to carry the load but will be a solid blocker that can catch passes. Our offensive line is solid but some of the players are aging. Same thing gos for our RBs. We have the same guys really, but they are just a year older. Faulk, Morris, and Taylor were considered old last year. We don't seem to have a #1 solid RB but the crew gets the job done.

There is so much potential for the Patriots offense this year. Brady's injury is now 2 years ago come this season and hopefully he'll be looking fine. I think the offense will be great and if certain people pan out, it should be even better. Maybe maroney rushes for 1300 yards this year, he is due.

Also, look at next year... We have 2 first round picks and 2 second round picks. Imagine the possibility with those picks. I see top RB, OL and/or WR with a couple of those picks. No worries on Brady getting too old because he has plenty of gas in the tank. Just look at Favre... Does anyone think Brady can't be at least just as good as Favre when he is 40?

Last edited:
The Patriots may have been the #2 offense in the NFL on paper, but their yards were primarily garbage yards. They struggled repeatedly throughout the season to turn a good drive into a TD and the struggled after week 4 or so to convert on 3rd and 4th and short, normally a Patriots strong point.

Hopefully the revamping of the TEs will fix this, as will Holt. If the offense can give us more 7's and less 3's, the team will be fine.

The Patriots may have been the #2 offense in the NFL on paper, but their yards were primarily garbage yards. They struggled repeatedly throughout the season to turn a good drive into a TD and the struggled after week 4 or so to convert on 3rd and 4th and short, normally a Patriots strong point.

Hopefully the revamping of the TEs will fix this, as will Holt. If the offense can give us more 7's and less 3's, the team will be fine.

Garbage yards? I don't quite understand that one.

The 2nd rated offense, the 2nd best offense and the best offseason in the league mean nothing to those folks who love to whine, complain and worry. This is their nature.

Just like the Defense there seems to be fear about the Offense. I'll be damned if I know why.

The offensive line is solid and very deep. Established stars and grooming youngsters abound. The RBBC is condemned even when there are five guys who have produced 100 Yard efforts. With old-timers you have to expect one to suddenly go over the Hill. But not three all at the same time, and even then, that leaves two more younger players.

The TE position seem pretty good to me, with a former Pro bowler imported as a trainer and two high drafted rookies to fill out the three positions. The WRs are a little concern, with Welker gone for the first half of the season. But there is plenty left. Belichick has imported a second future HOF to go with his existing one, and while not what he once was, is still a good player; and has two good looking almost rookies to add some developmental spice.

The QB couldn't be better. Tom Brady is in his prime. Brain Hoyer probably needs another year of seasoning before attempting a Matt Cassell-like effort. But he surprised everyone last year, and has come a long way in a short time, reminiscent of a certain Mr. Brady.

The Offense was a 2nd rated in the league last season, and I think this edition looks to be stronger still.

Why the Gloom & Doom ?

Garbage yards? I don't quite understand that one.

It may be a bit of an overstatement to call them "garbage yards", but the operating principle is that the numbers of yards gained per point scored was up last year over previous years. IOW, a number of drives that, in past seasons, would have resulted in 7 points ended with a FG or fizzled altogether. Maybe "less productive" yards would be more appropriate.

TFB's execution was inconsistent last season and he didn't have very many legit targets. Both of those should be better this year.

Baker was a disappointment more because his run-blocking was poor (his worst season ever) than because his pass-catching was deficient. Crumpler and, potentially, Gronk, should help with this.

These personnel factors, in combination with O'Brien attempting to transition from McDaniels' offensive system to . . . whatever he and BB had in mind during the off-season . . . led to more transparent and predictable play calls. In the past, with TFB executing at 100%, a bit of transparency didn't often make much difference since opposing defenses had a tough time stopping the Pats anyway.

The offensive line is solid and very deep. Established stars and grooming youngsters abound.
This is where I stopped reading. It's funny how people think a position is deep when they haven't even seen most of these players play. It's like saying they're deep at ILB when we haven't even seen McKenzie or Spikes play.

And why is this in the draft forum?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing