PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Deion stayed in New England

Status
Not open for further replies.
ridiculous statement. I was in San Diego in 2007. That was the best team in football. They would have beat the Pats easily 8 out of 10 times they play that game. Deion or no Deion. I mean, the Troy Brown strip, the punt fumble - this stuff almost never happens.

Pats were lucky to be in the AFCCG in the first place. End of story. Don't push your luck.

They probably had a better team in 08 when they didn't even make the playoffs than the 06 team.

The chargers having nothing to do with this. Pats got lucky a little bit in that game but I clearly recall the chargers were outcoached. Marty decided (god knows why) to go for it on 4th down in the first quarter instead of taking the FG and the chargers were 3 points short at the end.

That non-call on PI was so obvious there's no point even arguing about it..

I'm saying we would have won the AFCCG with Branch because the only WR worth something on that team was Troy Brown (considering all the others weren't picked up by any team the following year..)

ridiculous statement. I was in San Diego in 2007. That was the best team in football. They would have beat the Pats easily 8 out of 10 times they play that game. Deion or no Deion. I mean, the Troy Brown strip, the punt fumble - this stuff almost never happens.

I have it from a reliable source (LT) that the Chargers would have won 9 times out of 10. Please, give the Chargers some credit. :rolleyes:

BTW, we're now up to the Chargers winning 36 times out of 40 (after the subsequent 3 games have been played ;) ).

I was thinking what could have been if Deion stayed here in NE. We all know how things went with him in Seattle and he didn't play as great as some probably expected him to. Now he comes back to NE and is playing as good as he ever has.

If he stayed here to begin with, how would things be different? Would he have become a multiple Pro Bowl reciever? Would Tom Brady and the Patriots have had the same kind of success in 2007? Moss or Welker probably wouldn't have been here so I don't think Tom would have thrown 50 TD passes. I do think we may have won a Superbowl though. Obviously anything could have happened and it is hard to speculate but I'm just wondering what others think. I'm glad that he's back though.
This thread is a ban-worthy offense in this forum. Because to imply the Patriots would have been better off having kept Deion Branch all those years ago, maybe even to the tune of another championship, implies that Bill Belichick actually made a mistake.

If you publicly apologize to all members and the moderators and give yourself 100 lashes with a wet noodle, you may be allowed to continue to contribute.

Pats were lucky to be in the AFCCG in the first place. End of story. Don't push your luck.

They probably had a better team in 08 when they didn't even make the playoffs than the 06 team.

...and the Giants were lucky to beat the Pats in SB 42. So what.

Sometimes the best team doesn't deserve to win because they screwed up in critical moments. That is the legacy of great teams that don't win it all.

Last edited:
...and the Giants were lucky to beat the Pats in SB 42. So what.

Sometimes the best team doesn't deserve to win because they screwed up in critical moments. That is the legacy of great teams that don't win it all.

exactly. I agree. Pats won in 2001, Giants won in 2007. It just the fact of the NFL.

It swings both ways.

An administrative note, we wouldn't of gotten Seattle's 1st round pick aka Meriweather.
They had two 1st round picks in 2007. Had Branch been a Pat, I still believe the Pats could've traded up for Merriweather with their assigned pick instead of trading with San Fransisco.

If they took somebody in 2007 and Branch was still a Patriot, Mayo's playing for the Lions (or so they say).

Last edited:
I think a lot of this is way overstated. The 2007 offense was absolutely brilliant--this year's edition will/would be accused of "bullying" soon enough if they keep playing at this high level.

Obviously by this season Moss wasn't a useful member of the Pats. But there's no reason to disparage that great team in order to praise this one.

Agreed. Dunno where all this revisionist history is coming from, there was nothing wrong with the 2007 offense. If either Neal or Brady is healthy for SB42, or if Mankins doesn't decide to go and have the worst game of his career, the Pats win it and go 19-0 in style. Because that didn't happen, now we're inventing random reasons why the 2007 offense couldn't get it done? No thanks, count me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes