PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'm shocked, shocked to find that tampering is going on here!

convertedpatsfan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score

Null and Void: Roger Goodell's Ridiculous Free Agent Blunder

I understand why Roger Goodell is still employed, sure. He is a useful goon for the NFL owners. He’s the easy target out front who can take the heat for all the policies and practices that the owners cosign. He may never be fired, because competence isn’t really the point. I get that.

But every now and then you get a reminder of who we’re really dealing with, and it’s just … wow. The most profitable sport in America is really run by a belligerent Michael Scott.

Pretty much sums it up.

The article is about Goodell creating the "legal tampering" period, then getting upset at how far people went with it. He naively (or stupidly) believed people would follow his ridiculous rules that people would negotiate, but without using actual numbers. What was he expecting? For them to exchange Valentine's cards?

Apparently PFT is reporting (take it with a pound of salt) that the league was planning on a big TV special on Tuesday as the new deals got announced, but everyone knew over the weekend.

It's clear the owners will keep Goodell as long as possible because he's a human punching bag, absorbing all the hits for them. But in any other $9B+ industry in the world, someone like Goodell would be lucky to have a job as a janitor.

Curran also mentioned (in passing) the TV special in one of his articles mocking the NFL on this.

So the whole "legal tampering" thing was just a ruse to steal another television cycle.

And the whole "no numbers" thing wasn't really a no numbers thing, it was a "don't-leak-the-numbers-so-we-can-get-ratings" thing.

Roger and the NWWFL strikes again.

So now what? Have they made an agreement with the Patriots to begin sucking so other teams have a chance?

Too bad they didn't do a special on teams that tape signals.

They could have called it I SPY. (With a cast of 32)

:cool:

Too bad they didn't do a special on teams that tape signals.

They could have called it I SPY. (With a cast of 32)

:cool:

But wait, what about any teams that actually followed the rules on this one? And I think some did, because you didn't hear whispers about all the teams and you probably would have.

If there were team who followed the rules and did no actual negotiating with numbers, guarantees and parameters, as per the letter of the rule, then they were behind the 8-ball in terms of signing the big guns, who had already agreed with others before the non-cheating teams even loaded their pens.

And three other things:

1. A reminder that the Revis situation isn't tied to this. There was NO LEGAL TAMPERING window for Revis, as the Pats never submitted their decision to not pick up his option to the league office until 4pm Tuesday.

2. Is this broader investigation going to ameliorate any punishments to the Jest by burying Revis under the wider issue, or will the opposite happen, where the league tells Woody to bite the bullet and his Jest get hit the hardest.

3. Maybe the Pats get the 6th pick, (yeah, right), not by swapping with the Jest, but because 26 teams get knocked out of the first round for breaking the rules!

Any historians out there?

I'm saying goodie is the worst leader of all time. I'm going with Ethelred the Unready second, but he had an excuse, being only ten years old.

I can't even fathom the stupidity.

Why do you think that BB allowed Browner to test the waters on Monday, if Revis was still a possibility of resigning with the Pats?? Revis and his folks already knew what the outcome would be and it was reported in the Twittersphere..

Browner could only be effective in this defense if Revis was on the other side..

The words integrity and NFL shall nevermore be uttered in the same sentence..

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back