PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is There Anyone Hoping For a Move Up In The First Round?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any centers worth trading up for? I'd kill for a Pouncey quality player minus the bad friends.

There is lots of hope that one of the 4 quarterbacks is still left at 29 so that we trade down (or even pick the quarterback).

Even if the quarterbacks are not there, many would want to trade down a bit since the difference between 29 and 49 seem relatively small.

Are there folks wanting to trade up? Do folks like Pryor, Mosley, Shazier or a WR worth a trade up?
I think moving down, a little, to pick up more picks is the way to go. I'm not big on the 'little difference between 29 and 49' theory because its about the guy you pick not the average value on the board when you pick.
Gaining extra picks would be a great thing in this draft.
Below is a list of the positions that a draft choice (or UDFA) could easily make the team in place of the guy listed who currently would be projected to.

QB3 (noone)
RB3 (Bolden)
RB4 (no one)
TE2 (Hooman)
TE3 (no one)
OL7-9 (Kline and other jags)
WR5 (Boyce, Thompkins)
DE4 (Buchanan, Bequette)
DE3 (Smith if he is not healthy)
DT?? (based on health there could be 2 spots available)
LB4-6 (no one really)
S2 (Harmon)
S3,S4 (Wilson, Chung, Ebner, ugh)

That is 19 spots that if we are on the board in say the 5th round I would expect there to be guys who would be very competitive for those spots, and at least 8-10 that I would expect UDFAs to have a decent change to make the team.

The biggest need this team has right now, by far, is depth

If Anthony Barr slips to #20... do you trade our 1st and 3rd for him?

I would make a move for that. He has a ton of potential. Tall, long arms, decent weight (but needs to bulk more). Played RB and DE.

He could back up Chandler and Ninko. Play DE when Chandler kicks inside on 3rd downs. And eventually replace Ninko in a couple years.
No. We need that 3rd round pick, and we have enough needs that whoever is there at 29 will contribute at least as much right now.

If I am going safety I am taking Bucanon, he has Rodney Harrison's game.

I don't see safety as a priority, but if they go there go really nasty.

Arguably the worst starter on the team right now is the safety next to McCourty, and the worst first player off the bench is also at S. (The only position that you could give me a reasonable argument in the starter case would be C and the only arguable worse first man off the bench would be LB)

I'm not sure how we can consider S to not be a need.

The Pats are built to win in the next 1-2 years. If that does not happen, then you rebuild again.

Not sure why you say that they are built to win soon. Clearly Brady won't play forever but I haven't seen any recent moves that are short term in nature.

If anything, I think the Pats will dangle that late 1st rounder in front of teams that want to take a QB in the first round so that team can get the 5th year option on whomever they draft. The draft is such a crap shoot that the Pats are better off having extra picks rather than moving up.

That 5th yr option for QBs makes late 1st round second picks far more valuable than pre-CBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes