PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

LaMont Jordan signed, Robert Ortiz waived

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a bit hesitant to toss Evans, because he seems like such a good "glue guy". Sometimes having a guy like that helps the other guys get through the grind of the season and develops camaraderie, like a "Kevin Millar" type. Eckel i'd just as soon dump.
I have grown to like Evans as a team guy a lot myself - and Belichick has liked him all the way back to college. I don't think he would be released but I would have a tough time keeping him over one of the young LB or CB.

When I look at the stats, I see Jordan as a replacement for Morris. I have no idea what the cap hit would be, but that's where I see the logic of this move.

Morris has been in the league since 2000, Jordan since 2001. Despite the 1 year diff, there's only a 3 game diff between the two (Morris w/ 100 games played, and Jordan w/ 97.)

Morris has 1800+ yards rushing w/ a 4.1 ypc average, Jordan has 3280+ yards rushing for a 4.0 ypc average.

Morris has 17 career rushing TDs to Jordan's 24.

Morris has 118 career receptions, for 827 yards (that's a 7.0 ypc average) for1 TD and 3 fumbles.
Jordan has 158 career receptions, for 1301 yards (that's a 8.2 ypc average) for 3 TDs and 1 fumble in one less year in the league.

While statistics don't always tell it all, and as much as I like Sammy Morris, I don't see Jordan taking Faulk's place as was briefly suggested earlier in this thread, as much as I see him taking Morris' place...

When I look at the stats, I see Jordan as a replacement for Morris. I have no idea what the cap hit would be, but that's where I see the logic of this move.

Morris has been in the league since 2000, Jordan since 2001. Despite the 1 year diff, there's only a 3 game diff between the two (Morris w/ 100 games played, and Jordan w/ 97.)

Morris has 1800+ yards rushing w/ a 4.1 ypc average, Jordan has 3280+ yards rushing for a 4.0 ypc average.

Morris has 118 career receptions, for 827 yards (that's a 7.0 ypc average) for1 TD and 3 fumbles.
Jordan has 158 career receptions, for 1301 yards (that's a 8.2 ypc average) for 3 TDs and 1 fumble in one less year in the league.

While statistics don't always tell it all, and as much as I like Sammy Morris, I don't see Jordan taking Faulk's place as was briefly suggested earlier in this thread, as much as I see him taking Morris' place...
Actually, your stats make me think for the first time that Jordan IS a Faulk replacement. I pictured Jordan as a banger, but clearly he is also a receiving threat.

If he can catch-and-run like Faulk and hit the hole better than Faulk ...

I guess we will have to see his blitz pickup, but you do make a good case for Jordan as the new Faulk.

Jordan as the new Faulk. I was skeptical but then I remembered that my man Kevin already has a strike against him in the substance abuse program. Maybe BB is hedging here concerned that the commish will be especially diligent regarding any possible Patriots repeat drug offenders.

Actually, your stats make me think for the first time that Jordan IS a Faulk replacement. I pictured Jordan as a banger, but clearly he is also a receiving threat.

If he can catch-and-run like Faulk and hit the hole better than Faulk ...

I guess we will have to see his blitz pickup, but you do make a good case for Jordan as the new Faulk.

Jordan maybe a receiving threat, but he is a very different RB than Faulk. Jordan is the Thunder in the the Thunder and Lightning combination that the Pats want to have with Maroney. Jordan is a guy is going to run through people and be a goalline and short yardage RB. That ain't Faulk. That is what we wanted Morris to be.

Some have speculated that Faulk will get suspended for his possession charges. This may be insurance. Things tend to work themselves out as far as health, position depth, and other circumstances. I welcome him.

My Raider fan son says he's a good player when he can be "A" guy and not "THE" guy. He estimated that this signing will crowd out another good player and may even mean another win for us down the stretch.

I'm going to see if I can get a Lamont Jordan Jersey to wear at the game in Oakland.

Re: Adam Schefter reports Pats sign LaMont Jordan

I sure would be, as well as very upset.

I love what Faulk has done for this team. He's a great role player. I don't have any moral objection to having too much marijuana in his possession, either.

I do love the idea of new blood dislodging the incumbents. If they are an upgrade and a good locker room presence, you have to do what you have to do.

Can Jordan be that clutch third down presence Faulk has always been? I don't know. I'm glad I'm not making the decision.

Jordan maybe a receiving threat, but he is a very different RB than Faulk. Jordan is the Thunder in the the Thunder and Lightning combination that the Pats want to have with Maroney. Jordan is a guy is going to run through people and be a goalline and short yardage RB.
Jordan is definately an excellent short yardage back, but that doesn't mean he can't do anything else. He still has a career 4.1 ave including some years on a bad Raider team.

I didn't say he was Faulk. I said he can run better than Faulk, and his receiving yardage (70 receptions one year) surprised me. He can be a third down back without being Faulk's size (which I do not see as an advantage).

It all depends on his blitz pickup.

I'm not saying Faulk is gone, but if Jordan is a good blitz blocker, and can catch the ball, run better than Faulk, and cost less than Faulk's $3+ mil salary, why keep Faulk and cut Jordan? We here get way to into the "after all the player X has done for us, there's no way we can replace him" way of thinking. I'm prietty sure most personnel guys are thinking "which of these two guys will be the more porductive player this coming season."

I think it will be a bigger competition than most of us think. But then, I liked Jordan with the Jets. Or rather, I dislikes him, the way I disliked Thurman Thomas, Joe Washington, Larry Czonka, etc, all those RBs who killed us game after game.

Last edited:
Re: Adam Schefter reports Pats sign LaMont Jordan

Not that it really means all that much, but it's been a good start for Jordan:

http://blog.pfwonline.com/2008/07/27/jordan-rules/

Jordan rules
July 27, 2008

Veteran running back LaMont Jordan has gotten plenty of reps in his first padded practice. He’s shown good burst and made some really nice cuts in team work and in drills. Let’s not forget he caught 70 passes for the Raiders a couple years ago, so Jordan might be an option through the air as well. Plus, I like guys who are built like a fire hydrant. Jordan is, and he’s expected to speak with the media after his first full-pads practice in New England. I think he’ll be another good Belichick signing. Bill loves to sign veteran guys after they sign their over-valued free agent deals. I think Jordan fits that mold. So does veteran corner addition Fernando Bryant.

Jordan is definately an excellent short yardage back, but that doesn't mean he can't do anything else. He still has a career 4.1 ave including some years on a bad Raider team.

I didn't say he was Faulk. I said he can run better than Faulk, and his receiving yardage (70 receptions one year) surprised me. He can be a third down back without being Faulk's size (which I do not see as an advantage).

I'm not saying Faulk is gone, but if Jordan is a good blitz blocker, and can catch the ball, run better than Faulk, and cost less than Faulk's $3+ mil salary, why keep Faulk and cut him? We here get way to into the "after all the player X has done for us, there's no way we can replace him" way of thinking. I'm prietty sure most personnel guys are thinking "which of these two guys will be the more porductive player this coming season."

I think it will be a bigger competition than most of us think. But then, I liked Jordan with the Jets. Or rather, I dislikes him, the way I disliked Thurman Thomas, Joe Washington, Larry Czonka, etc, all those RBs who killed us game after game.

When I first heard the Pats were interested in signing Jordan I thought he might not be a good fit because of his defeciencies in pass blocking. So then I went back and yes in Oakland he did not look great at blitz pick up/pass protection most times but that's because that line was springing leaks all over the place and it was hard for him to pick up his responsibility. The OL's in Oakland were very weak, especially vs the pass. But in his Jets days he looked a lot better, albeit with less opportunities. So my major concern there has been alleviated.

I'll tell you that I love his size and speed-when he is motivated. He seems like a very strong runner who breaks tackles with his legs. He has the power to run inside although I don't see the speed to get outside any longer, at least since 2005, but that could be due to injuries. He seems to have very good balance. He catches the ball well and does not fumble. Sometimes he hunts and pecks and that's when he doesn't look. But overall there isn't much to dislike about this player, he ran hard and made plays for a team with a very suspect line in Oakland and did it while facing mostly 8 man fronts.

Although we can't be sure what role Jordan will have, we do know that the Pats acted very quickly in securing his services. He was released on July 25th by Oakland and signed July 26th by the Pats. The Pats had brought in a lot of RB's for looks this offseason (K.Jones, S.Gado, M.Bell) but only acted quickly w/one, so we know they really like Jordan and think he can help this season.

I'm not saying Faulk is gone, but if Jordan is a good blitz blocker, and can catch the ball, run better than Faulk, and cost less than Faulk's $3+ mil salary, why keep Faulk and cut Jordan? We here get way to into the "after all the player X has done for us, there's no way we can replace him" way of thinking. I'm prietty sure most personnel guys are thinking "which of these two guys will be the more porductive player this coming season."

I never said that Jordan couldn't do anything else other than be a short yardage back. He is just a very different back than Faulk. He doesn't have the shiftiness of Faulk. He isn't a great blocker like Faulk is (although he has improved in that area over the years). He isn't a yards after the catch guy like Faulk is and probably won't be as effective on screens.

I just can't see the Pats cutting Faulk and keeping Morris, Jordan, and Maroney. There isn't enough diversity among the RBs. I am not in the crowd who thinks there is no way Faulk would be cut from this team, but Jordan, Faulk, and Maroney compliment each other better than Jordan, Morris, and Maroney would. It would keep defenses offkilter more with Maroney, Jordan, and Faulk.

The more i think about it, the more excited I get about Lamont Jordan being on this team.

I remember 2 years ago I drafted him in FFL and I forced myself to watch many Raiders games. The guy was tough on a dogcrap team.

In 2005, he had 1025 yards, 9 tds, 3.8 ypc. 70 catches 563 yds, 2 tds.
(he missed 2 games)

This is with Kerry Collins throwing him the ball. I never thought Sammy Morris was that great but he was solid on the Pats last year, and i think a lot of it had to do with how much talent this team has and how much of a great opportunity it is to play for the Pats.

I could see Lamont stepping in and having a bigger impact than Morris did this past season.

I'm going to be bummed if he stays healthy and doesn't make this team, i want to see what happens.

I think you're making too much of Jordan's one season with more than 29 receptions.

Jordan is a well-rounded back, someone who can spell Maroney on traditional run-downs and who brings experience and ability in the passing game but I don't think he's going to come in and show that Kevin Faulk is expendable especially when you consider the rapport #33 has with Brady, his excellent blocking abilities, superb route running, ridiculous hands and the "look at all he has done for this team"-factor.

Have you taken a look at Kevin Faulk's career receiving statistics recently? He has a higher average per reception (8.7 to 8.2) in more than twice as many chances (323 receptions to 158).

Kevin Faulk does everything a third-down back is supposed to do and does it all better than Lamont Jordan.

Last edited:
Although we can't be sure what role Jordan will have, we do know that the Pats acted very quickly in securing his services. He was released on July 25th by Oakland and signed July 26th by the Pats. The Pats had brought in a lot of RB's for looks this offseason (K.Jones, S.Gado, M.Bell) but only acted quickly w/one, so we know they really like Jordan and think he can help this season.

Very good point.

Good point.

I think you're making too much of Jordan's one season with more than 29 receptions.
I'm looking not at what was done, but indicators as to what can be done. You don't get 70 receptions in a season without being a decent receiver because when you average 5 catches per gaem, yhe other teams take notice and make adjustments. They do for Faulk, too. Total stats are often a function of opportunities, but clearly both guys have shown that they can get the job done when called on repeatedly. What I meant was that I was surprised Joprdan did get so many receptions and if he is a good receiver, he meets one of the requirements for a third down back. The other two are blitz pickup and running the ball. There is no doubt in my mind that Jordan is a better runner than Faulk based on his gashing us when he was with the Jets.

I don't think he's going to come in and show that Kevin Faulk is expendable especially when you consider the rapport #33 has with Brady, his excellent blocking abilities, superb route running, ridiculous hands and the "look at all he has done for this team"-factor.
We all know Faulk's abilities. Thinking that no one can possibly equal those abilities is silly. Whether Jordan can give Faulk a run for his money depends on how well Jordan block in pass protection. For that we will see. But I would not automatically say that one is better overall than the other at this point.

Kevin Faulk does everything a third-down back is supposed to do and does it all better than Lamont Jordan.
Third down back needs to pass block, catch the ball, and run the ball. If Faulk indeed does all these things better, then it is no contest. But I suspect that they are both good receivers, that Faulk is a better blocker, and that Jordan is a better runner. I think this will be an excelent camp competition and that it is way to early to say that the outcome is decided.

Jordan will make this team, he is simply too talented and would fill many rolls:
1.) Spell Maroney,
2.) Back up to Faulk on 3rd down,
3.) Goal line and inside the 10 back,
4.) In terms of running ability he is more talented than Morris and he is younger (by almost 2 yrs) and not coming off as serious an injury. Jordan had a great start last yr before getting hurt and he won't face 8 man fronts like he did in Oakland.

The more I think of it the more I like Jordan as our top back up on 1st 2 downs. See Reiss analysis and Lombardi's take here: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/07/lamont_jordan_a.html

Exactly what I had in mind.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/07/observations_fr_3.html

5) First look at LaMont Jordan. Although he was on the field for Saturday afternoon’s walkthrough, today’s morning session marked the first chance to watch newly acquired running back LaMont Jordan in a full-pads practice. As advertised, the 5-foot-10, 230-pound Jordan runs with a low center of gravity and with power. Such a style seemed to fit the work the Patriots were doing in the red zone. After the practice, Jordan – who joked that he went back to his high school look of a bald head and sideburns – said he hoped to have a Randy Moss-like season. “Randy came from Oakland and had a big year [in 2007]. I’m hoping for the same thing.” Like Moss, Jordan joins the Patriots from the Raiders.

I love this move. Love. it.

If he is a shred of what he was for the Jets as a part time back, or his first year in Oakland, we're going to really like what this guy brings to the table.

Just awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey