PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Chatham on this year's QBs and RBs

this is the thing about the league i dont really understand. With the amount of teams adding more and more option style offenses, you need true #1 running backs to keep the defense honest, and your QB alive.

Russell wilson looks like the best qb in the league some weeks with Marshawn lynch beside him. Take that threat away, and he will start getting ragdolled. We have seen the same with Kaep, Cam and RG3, when their running backs have been dinged up or lacking, those guys have gone in to a shell, or have sustained pretty major injuries. If I were drafting Mariota, I would do my best to add Gurley beside him.

this is the thing about the league i dont really understand. With the amount of teams adding more and more option style offenses, you need true #1 running backs to keep the defense honest, and your QB alive.

Russell wilson looks like the best qb in the league some weeks with Marshawn lynch beside him. Take that threat away, and he will start getting ragdolled. We have seen the same with Kaep, Cam and RG3, when their running backs have been dinged up or lacking, those guys have gone in to a shell, or have sustained pretty major injuries. If I were drafting Mariota, I would do my best to add Gurley beside him.
well the Eagles wont need to take Gurley with Shady McCoy,they may have to give up a few picks to move from 20 to 2 :D

I love Chatham but he's wrong about the death of pocket passers. College football has always loved the cheap years that dual-threat QBs will get them, but it doesn't work in the pros because the defense is so much quicker, they can shut that **** down.

The great QBs have always been and will always be pocket passers. If they can run, great, but it all starts from the pocket. Montana, Marino, Elway, Favre, Manning, Tom ****ing Brady, Rodgers, Brees.

Running quarterbacks look sexy as hell during the regular season because half the league has no clue what it's doing on defense. They've got exploitable weaknesses that a running QB can take advantage of.

But the real season starts in the playoffs, and if you can't beat good defenses from the pocket, you don't get very far.

Just to add, I do agree that it's time for RBs to make a comeback. Everyone's been drafting linebackers for their coverage abilities, and forgetting about the fundamental principle of defensive football: FIRST, STOP THE RUN.

Look at Dallas getting back to the playoffs this year with a top-caliber offensive line and a quality running back. Romo didn't have to carry the team so much this year.

If we can improve at OL/RB, we'll have a better running game against teams like the Ravens and take some of the pressure off Brady...definitely a good thing

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back