PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mel Kiper wrong again

Whether it will work or not, and I think the size of a WR is irrelevant personally (see Gronk), it's pretty clear BB wants a tall Receiver to add to the offense. Just look at Mark Harrison and the working out of Kelvin Benjamin and the fact that Tim Wright was a make or break part of the Mankins trade. Whether BB now has that player in Wright is a question that needs answering but no-one should be dismissing a Funchess pick to the level the OP does. I don't think it's the most likely pick but I think it's still a possibility - BB likes his game changer picks and Funchess is potentially one of those - a lot more so than some of these DTs.

Same here; drafting Funchess at 32 if he's still available might likely depend upon how well the Free
Agency period goes, e.g.: resigning/restructuring Revis, Mayo, Wilfork, McCourty, Gostkowski, Connolly,
Vereen, etc.

Whether it will work or not, and I think the size of a WR is irrelevant personally (see Gronk), it's pretty clear BB wants a tall Receiver to add to the offense. Just look at Mark Harrison and the working out of Kelvin Benjamin and the fact that Tim Wright was a make or break part of the Mankins trade. Whether BB now has that player in Wright is a question that needs answering but no-one should be dismissing a Funchess pick to the level the OP does. I don't think it's the most likely pick but I think it's still a possibility - BB likes his game changer picks and Funchess is potentially one of those - a lot more so than some of these DTs.

I'm not arguing that Funchess wouldn't be a game changer, but it's worth remembering that Belichick's MO in the first round seems to be utility over the length of the rookie contract.

If a starting DT or OG would add more utility to the Patriots over the next 4–5 years, that's where he'll go. If it's a 6'5" receiver, that's what he'll do.

That's roughly where I am with a trade back for Odighizuwa and maybe Devin Smith too.

Hopefully Winston & Mariota go #1 & #2. This would be extremely good for our chances of trading out of the first.

This would create the potential for a bidding war on Brett Hundley, and possibly even Garrett Grayson.
With the Jets, Rams, Browns, and possibly even the Bills all needing a QB. Our 32nd pick, and its 5th year option make a nice trading piece, all things considered. If we could come out this draft with one of those teams 2nd, 3rd, and hopefully another pick along the lines, it would be HUGE for this team. It would put us in a good position for about the next 4 years.

Hopefully Winston & Mariota go #1 & #2. This would be extremely good for our chances of trading out of the first.

This would create the potential for a bidding war on Brett Hundley, and possibly even Garrett Grayson.
With the Jets, Rams, Browns, and possibly even the Bills all needing a QB. Our 32nd pick, and its 5th year option make a nice trading piece, all things considered. If we could come out this draft with one of those teams 2nd, 3rd, and hopefully another pick along the lines, it would be HUGE for this team. It would put us in a good position for about the next 4 years.

agreed. I think it would have to be a QB or a player like Gurley would create a trade-up situation. The type of player that is immensely talented, but teams wanting to make sure they get the safe player first, but willing to pay a big price for that homerun shot. Every year there is a player like that, and wouldnt be surprised if its Gurley or Gordon this year.

All things being equal, I'd rather have, say, their third and next year's first. The Pats don't need 12 draft picks this year.

I could very easily see us move back to the 3rd with next years pick added. Outside of Dallas, i dont see many teams in the back half of the draft that would be searching for a second pick. On the other hand, quite a few of teams picking low could have a high need for either a QB, DT, or the top TE to go with a rookie QB.

I could very easily see us move back to the 3rd with next years pick added. Outside of Dallas, i dont see many teams in the back half of the draft that would be searching for a second pick. On the other hand, quite a few of teams picking low could have a high need for either a QB, DT, or the top TE to go with a rookie QB.

Sorry Im having a hard time trying to understand what your getting at, or trying to say.

All things being equal, I'd rather have, say, their third and next year's first. The Pats don't need 12 draft picks this year.

Why not? The Patriots are already without any glaring holes on the roster. The best way to achieve long term success is finding players who offer great return on your investment. (i.e. UDFA, late draft picks, and players with low salary) The problem is, most of these players come in the middle rounds of the draft. When your team is in a good position like we are, the best thing to do is try to acquire a bunch of these pieces and try your luck with them. Yes its a hit or miss thing, but even if you turn 1/3 of those picks into productive rostered players, you've struck gold. The only way to do this is by taking that hit or miss approach, which in return takes draft picks. It also helps that this year has crap when it comes to franchise talent (1st round), and is LOADED with developmental talent in the mid rounds.

Last edited:
Sorry Im having a hard time trying to understand what your getting at, or trying to say.

Very poorly worded. Typing and cooking is not a great idea. I think it's much more likely for a team picking at the top of the third to trade up for an additional pick than anyone late in the second. Teams looking to move up are either looking for a QB that they didn't take with their first pick, or an immediate help to their new franchise qb, like a TE or a RB. If gurley and maxx williams are still available, it helps our trading options.

Mel diaper jr. started out with the intent to sell draft guides. All things being equal, he washed out as a Baltimore scout because his reports were weak and his perceptions way too narrow.

Diaper is to scouting what the wwe is to sports or espn is to sports reporting. All style no substance.

I don't agree with drafting a receiver in the first. I'd rather the team used that one on a LG or DE there. But receiver is a need. We were extremely fortunate to be relatively healthy at the position last year because the depth there is paper thin. I wouldn't mind using a 2nd or a 3rd on a WR at all. Further, I'm not that high on Funchess, personally.

Kiper is a life long Baltimorean and loves the Ravens. In his mocks he usually picks badly for the Pats. IIRC when looking up his pick for the Pats, under weaknesses were: Doesn't win 50-50 balls. Questionable hands. Doesn't have exceptional speed or quickness. Yeah, that makes sense. :rolleyes:

After 15 years of futility most draftniks have given up on predicting what the Pats will do.

After 15 years of futility most draftniks have given up on predicting what the Pats will do.

I never saw the appeal of that in the first place.
Insane.gif

Why not? The Patriots are already without any glaring holes on the roster. The best way to achieve long term success is finding players who offer great return on your investment. (i.e. UDFA, late draft picks, and players with low salary) The problem is, most of these players come in the middle rounds of the draft. When your team is in a good position like we are, the best thing to do is try to acquire a bunch of these pieces and try your luck with them. Yes its a hit or miss thing, but even if you turn 1/3 of those picks into productive rostered players, you've struck gold. The only way to do this is by taking that hit or miss approach, which in return takes draft picks. It also helps that this year has crap when it comes to franchise talent (1st round), and is LOADED with developmental talent in the mid rounds.

You're arguing that the Patriots should draft a dozen players. What I'm saying is they don't need to.

Kiper had us taking Sammie Coates like 3 weeks ago. Why does everyone think we have this desperate need for fantasy # position players? If we can't get Vereen back do we stop throwing the ball to RB's and strictly only pass to WR's and TE's?

The shiny object syndrome is lacking in perspective. Brady is not going to throw the ball 800 times this year. Edelman, Lafell and Gronk are all returning. Amendola and Wright are still under contract. Have we given up on Dobson and is the Tyms expierement over?

Rj Harris UNH is my 7th Rd/UDFA guy. 6-0 203 and solid. 100 catches this year, 1551 yds 15 TD's and 100+ yards in 9 of 14 games. BTW, UNH went 12-2 this year. Got smoked in Toledo then they ripped off 12 straight before a tough home loss (21-18) to Illinois St. Kids had 4 solid years of production.

We're months from the draft and few of us expect us to re-sign Amendola. We could do worse than adding a WR/TE.

Kiper had us taking Sammie Coates like 3 weeks ago. Why does everyone think we have this desperate need for fantasy # position players? If we can't get Vereen back do we stop throwing the ball to RB's and strictly only pass to WR's and TE's?

The shiny object syndrome is lacking in perspective. Brady is not going to throw the ball 800 times this year. Edelman, Lafell and Gronk are all returning. Amendola and Wright are still under contract. Have we given up on Dobson and is the Tyms expierement over?

A lot of draftniks look at our offense and think the deep threat is the missing link.

My view is if we can not keep Brady's jersey clean, the deep threat is useless. Plus there is the time require for the draft pick to pledge the brady catch club and sadly a ton of rookie wr's have not made the cut.

I see us needing help getting to the opposing qb, stopping the run and in our o line.

I fully expect the best pass rushers going off the board early and often in this draft. And I doubt bb will be tempted by the leftovers at #32.

That would normally leave o line or defensive tackles as places for bb to look.

But bb loves defensive backs and I would not rule that position out as well.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back