PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mods: Question on Self-perpetuation

PatsFanInVa

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Since this is a discussion board, I'm interested in the practice of using it as an advertisement/recruitment channel.

When bona fide discussion ensues on any topic, it's natural for the topic to exist and to persist.

However, it appears that "autobumping" one's own thread is now a perpetuation tactic on this forum to attempt to crowd out legitimate discourse.

Is this practice "kosher" by the standards of the board? For example, if a dyed-in-the-wool Republican is self-absorbed enough to post 3, 4, or more replies to himself when his thread falls to the bottom of a political board, would that be discouraged?

I'm not saying I've never done this myself; but it seems pretty clear that if we all do this whenever we feel our product isn't selling well, then the board will naturally become overrun with those most ideologically motivated -- and/or, those opposed to said domination of the board, responding in kind.

So, Mods: is it "kosher" to continually bump our own threads? It seems if it is, the General Board is likely to simply become paralyzed.

PFnV

PatsFanInVa said:
Since this is a discussion board, I'm interested in the practice of using it as an advertisement/recruitment channel.

When bona fide discussion ensues on any topic, it's natural for the topic to exist and to persist.

However, it appears that "autobumping" one's own thread is now a perpetuation tactic on this forum to attempt to crowd out legitimate discourse.

Is this practice "kosher" by the standards of the board? For example, if a dyed-in-the-wool Republican is self-absorbed enough to post 3, 4, or more replies to himself when his thread falls to the bottom of a political board, would that be discouraged?

I'm not saying I've never done this myself; but it seems pretty clear that if we all do this whenever we feel our product isn't selling well, then the board will naturally become overrun with those most ideologically motivated -- and/or, those opposed to said domination of the board, responding in kind.

So, Mods: is it "kosher" to continually bump our own threads? It seems if it is, the General Board is likely to simply become paralyzed.

PFnV

It would be nice if something were to be done. I don't post on the General Board anymore as it seems to have morphed into a Religion Board.

PatsFanInVa said:

PFnV

We're resorting to whining now? Earlier I was asked to consolidate the music threads, so now when i find a good David Crowder video, i post it on a previous David Crowder thread. the Please Read this if you believe in Jesus thread would not be still going now without the support of you guys. My "admirers" respond, so I answer. And there have been about 800 other views on it as well, so its not like there has been no interest out there.

I find it humorous, this idea my posting links is keeping others from the Board.
If nobody has anything else to say or post how is that my responsibility or problem? its not like a pie, each piece i take taking one from somebody else. In the time I create 5 threads everybody else is free to create 200. or ignore the 5 you dont agree with. Its not like a mine field you have to navigate your way through, its a message board. Dont take it so seriously.

3 to be 4, I disagree.

I think that it is thoughtless, at least, to start a new thread every time you see a music video that you like.

Every new thread that is started bumps another one off the front page. If that is not your intention, it would be appropriate to post your enthusiasms on a single thread.

The topic of this thread is an open question to the Mods about self-perpetuation, 3.

If you see yourself in this thread, that is your problem. I may be concerned that the makers of Ultra Slimfast will start a thread about that product, and then bump it even if it is ignored by potential customers.

If everybody behaved this way, the board would be paralyzed. I am interested in how the mods feel about the question of 3, 4, or more "auto-bumps" betweeen other posters' responses. It is a matter of this principal, rather than the particular salesman, that I am concerned with.

It may be that the mods encourage the practice. It may be that they prefer to restrict the board to actual discussion, rather than self-perpetuating "blogs" under the banner of discussion threads.

Regardless, please don't hijack this thread and use it as a discussion about you or your agenda. It is a question to the mods, not to you.

Thanks,

PFnV

PatsFanInVa said:
The topic of this thread is an open question to the Mods about self-perpetuation, 3.

If you see yourself in this thread, that is your problem. I may be concerned that the makers of Ultra Slimfast will start a thread about that product, and then bump it even if it is ignored by potential customers.

If everybody behaved this way, the board would be paralyzed. I am interested in how the mods feel about the question of 3, 4, or more "auto-bumps" betweeen other posters' responses. It is a matter of this principal, rather than the particular salesman, that I am concerned with.

It may be that the mods encourage the practice. It may be that they prefer to restrict the board to actual discussion, rather than self-perpetuating "blogs" under the banner of discussion threads.

Regardless, please don't hijack this thread and use it as a discussion about you or your agenda. It is a question to the mods, not to you.

Thanks,

PFnV

a thousand pardons, in that case I shall proceed as usual.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back