PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Blueprint for the Defense

With Seattle putting on a show of defensive dominance reminiscent of the 1985 Bears and 2000 Ravens, people are suddenly remembering that defense tends to win championships. The Pats have a lot of good pieces in place, and showed some significant progress this season before injuries took their toll. But there are a number of question marks.

Here's my "blueprint" for evolving the Pats' D into one on a Seattle/SF/Carolina championship-caliber level.

1. Need a change of attitude and approach.

The Pats' D comes from the top, and it's just not adequate in today's NFL. Too passive, too soft. The defense needs to get much more physical and play with an attitude and with controlled rage. Aqib Talib brought some much-needed swagger to a demoralized secondary, and that kind of attitude is needed on all 3 levels.

I have serious questions that Matt Patricia executing BB's strategy is going to get us to the next level. I like bringing in some fresh blood (Brandon Daly is by all accounts very intense, and that is needed). I wish we had brought in someone like from the outside like Ray Horton or Jim Schwartz who could provide a strong presence on defense that we haven't had since Romeo left.

2. Upgrade and add depth on DL.

In 2013 we had DEs Chandler Jones and Rob Ninkovich both playing over 1000 snaps (9.81% and 95.6%, respectively), with Andre Carter, Michael Buchanan and Jake Bequette for "depth". There was no depth. Vince Wilfork played on skates for 3 games, possibly due to Achilles tendonitis, before rupturing his Achilles week 4 against Atlanta. Tommy Kelly was solid at the beginning of the year before injuring his knee and eventually going on IR with an ACL tear. Chris Jones and Sealver Siliga stepped up, but neither is a clear future starter. In the AFCCG we got no pressure at all on Peyton Manning, and played a very passive game, even before Aqib Talib got hurt. Seattle showed what a difference pressuring Manning makes - even though they only recorded 1 sack they pressured him effectively the entire game.

We need to get serious quality depth at DE, and upgrade our starters at DT. I'm not at all optimistic about Wilfork's ability to come back, given the nature of his injury, the nature of his job, and his weight, age and genetics (strong family history of diabetes). Kelly should be able to come back, but he is not a long term solution at the 3-tech position. Armond Armstead will hopefully be back, but he is too much of an unknown at this time to bank on.

My preferences:

- DE: FAs like Michael Johnson and Greg Hardy will be too expensive. I thought we should have gone after Michael Bennett last year. He would be a reasonable option, but wants to stay in Seattle. I think the draft is probably the way to go. I like Trent Murphy (my favorite prospect in the draft). Aaron Lynch has all the physical tools, as does Kony Ealy (who will likely be off the board). Taylor Hart and Will Clarke have intriguing skill sets. Scott Crichton has violent hands and a non-stop motor. At least 1 of those guys would be a huge upgrade behind Jones and Ninkovich, with Buchanan hopefully stepping up. I could also see Armond Armstead and Dont'a Hightower getting time at DE, and Jamie Collins playing a Leo role.

- NT: I would cut Wilfork. The risks of extending him and being saddled with his contract if he can't come back outweigh the risks of cutting him. I'd sign Linval Joseph (think Brandon Mebane) as a UFA if possible. Louis Nix in the 1st round and Justin Ellis in the 3rd/4th are my preferred draft options. Sealver Siliga provides quality depth and rotational capability.

- 3-tech: Chris Jones is on the roster, and Armond Armstead will hopefully be able to get on the field and contribute. The Pats could "stand Pat" with Tommy Kelly and be ok for 2014, but if the opportunity to upgrade is there, I'd take it. I think the FA 3-techs like Henry Melton (coming off an ACL) are going to be expensive. In the draft I would consider Ra'Shede Hageman or Timmy Jernigan at 29 if they were available. Aaron Donald needs to be evaluate closely, but could be a good option in the early 2nd if he is available. Caraun Reid is an intriguing prospect, and plays with a violence that is much needed. Ego Ferguson and DeAndre Coleman could possibly play either the 0/1 or 3-tech positions. Stephon Tuitt could be a 3-tech/5-tech option, but I'm not sold on him. I wouldn't do anything with Tommy Kelly until after the draft.

3. Continue to get more mobile at LB.

Brandon Spikes and Dont'a Hightower are not the future of the NFL. Jamie Collins is. We need more players with Collins kind of skill set. Spikes won't be back, and Hightower will probably take over at MLB, but I'd like to see at least 1 and maybe 2 guys brought in who have the ability to play in space and cover and who can blitz or be used as sub rushers. Christian Jones has an Alec Ogletree kind of skill set but experience playing all 3 LB spots and DE and even some DT. He is much stronger than Ogletree and able to fight through blockers, but smooth enough in coverage to play man on Sammy Watkins. Marcus Smith has Jamie Collins-like athleticism. Kyle Van Noy has amazing instincts and range. Ryan Shazier has Lavonte David-like capability. Dane Fletcher provides nice depth at all 3 LB spots, and will hopefully be re-signed.

4. Go "Seattle" with big, physical DBs.

I can't stand seeing Kyle Arrington play outside CB. He has no place in that role. Logan Ryan is a nice ballhawk with good nickel capability, but I don't want him as my starting outside CB. The Pats need to re-sign Aqib Talib and extend Devin McCourty, but they need a more physical presence at safety opposite McCourty and they need 1-2 big, physical CBs who can play press-man. Calvin Pryor would be ideal at safety. He would punish players for going over the middle, something that we've been sorely lacking since Rodney retired. Stanley Jean-Baptiste, Aaron Colvin, Antone Exum and Jonathan Dowling are all options for big CBs, possibly with some safety versatility.

My "ideal" offseason:

- Cut Wilfork, sign Linval Joseph

The draft (including a Mallett for #33 trade for now):

- 29. Calvin Pryor, S. 6'2" 208#. We should have taken Harrison Smith at 25 2 years ago. A DT like Ra'Shede Hageman or Timmy Jernigan would also be an option.
- Trade 33 to Jacksonville for 39 and 102.
- 39. Trent Murphy, DE. 6'6" 261#.
- Trade 62 for 73 and a 4th round pick.
- 73. Marcus Smith, DE/OLB. 6' 3 1/2" 258#.
- 93. Used on offense (best available OL depending on FA).
- 102. Christian Jones, LB. 6'3" 236#.
- 4 (from Minnesota. Used on offense (move TE like Richard Rodgers).
4. Caraun Reid, DT. 6'2" 310#.
6a. Aaron Lynch, DE. 6'6" 260#.
6b. Aaron Colvin or Antone Exum, DB
6 (comp). Used on offense (Trey Millard)
6 (comp). Jonathan Dowling, DB

Post-draft, Gregory and Kelly restructure, possibly with 1 year extensions.

The defense:

DE: Chandler Jones, Rob Ninkovich, Trent Murphy, Aaron Lynch, Michael Buchanan. Dont'a Hightower and Armond Armstead also have DE capability, and Marcus Smith and Jamie Collins can play the Leo.
DT: Linval Joseph, Tommy Kelly, Armond Armstead, Sealver Siliga, Chris Jones, Caraun Reid.
LB: Jerod Mayo, Dont'a Hightower, Jamie Collins, Christian Jones, Marcus Smith, Dane Fletcher
S: Devin McCourty, Calvin Pryor, Steve Gregory, Duron Harmon, Nate Ebner/Tavon Wilson. Jonathan Dowling can also play safety.
CB: Aqib Talib, Alfonzo Dennard, Logan Ryan, Kyle Arrington, Antone Exum/Aaron Colvin, Jonathan Dowling.

That's 28 players, with some fierce roster competition. Probably too many rookies, but it helps to flush out the issues and prospects. I could see taking only 1 of Trent Murphy/Aaron Smith, as both guys are capable of playing at DE or LB.

This is a somewhat defense-skewed picture (even for me). I could see the Pats still picking up an OL and TE in free agency, plus a WR replacement for Edelman and re-sign Blount. Add in a move TE, offensive lineman, and all-purpose guy like Trey Millard, and mod of the offensive issues would be addressed. In reality, I wouldn't expect to see this skewed an approach to the defense; but I wouldn't mind if it happened.

Seattle also proved the wisdom of Grid's "overload" approach, adopted from military strategy:

Time to fight a modern war, gentlemen. And this is as good a time as any to figure out how to overload with modern weapons. This draft is full of them.

A couple comments on this...

1. Phuck.

2. Yeah.

Kill Or Be Killed, Bytches. :rocker:

"Time to fight a modern War", indeed. :cool:

I bet everything I could beg, borrow, or steal on the Morlocks, last Night.

And I laid all the Points I could find against the favored Eloi.

Two more points, if I may so presume, before returning to the Ether whence I came for now:

1 ~ The 1940 French & British executed "Bend But Don't Break" Defense at an exemplary level.

2 ~ The 1940 Allemanians ~ "Germans" to you Earthlings ~ failed to grasp the Concept.

Hell I'm still fuming about Okoye!

Height 6'5 3/8
Same mark as: San Fransisco offensive tackle Joe Staley

Weight 304 lbs
Same mark as: Minnesota defensive tackle Kevin Williams

Arm length 35"
Same mark as: New York defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul

40 YD 4.78
Same mark as: Former Ohio State runningback Maurice Clarett

Bench 38 reps
Same mark as: Baltimore defensive tackle Haloti Ngata

Shuttle 4.36
Same mark as: Chicago free safety Major Wright

3-cone 6.69
Same mark as: New England cornerback Logan Ryan

Vertical Jump 35
Same mark as: Carolina quarterback Cam Newton

Broad Jump 10'5"
Same mark as: Kansas City wide receiver Dwayne Bowe

How do you pass THAT up for Steve Beauharnais? Hell I like "the sauce" more than most 7th round picks but still.

Exactly. It was obvious that if Okoye made it to FA he would sign with San Francisco (he had connections with one of their coaches). So why not use a 7th round pick on him? His upside was astronomical. He may be a moon shot, but he had more potential of landing than Beauharnais did. SF smartly never tried to put him on the PS, but IR'd him, to keep control.

Not really. He's paid like one but he's arguably the least significant member of their front seven. Now they want to cut him.
Well nevermind then, for some reason I thought he started for them.

very hard for a complete revamp within a year just from the draft.

Hageman is a little bit of a mystery. Plays great then disappears.

I wonder if Kevin Williams from Minn. would come over cheap now that his DL coach is here?

The whole scheme needs a revamp though...the bend but don't break leaves your defense exhausted and lets the offense march 80 yards down the field unimpeded. You're just hoping they make a mistake or have two incompletions in a row.

One thing about Seattle's defense is that they are aggressive. THey like to hit. BB used to draft CBs like Butler who moved well, but tried to dance the WRs down. They would dance with them while they got another 10 yards or so.

Wow, OTG. Someone needs to just hack into Grantland and make the url redirect to this link.

I said it was insanely brilliant.

Here's the basic paradox: while I firmly believe that football games are won in the trenches, committing more players to the trenches fatally exposes you. What's needed is disguise. As OTG so clearly points out in his article:

"As any Student of Warfare ~ or Football ~ will tell you: The more Flexible, Unpredictable, and Deceptive that you wish to be...the fewer Soldiers you should commit to The Front Line BEFORE the Inception of Battle.

To do that, you need incredible athletes who can seamlessly "morph between multiple formations, in order to Multiply the Indecipherability of their Strategy + Schemes!!" (to use Grid's words again).

Jamie Collins is that kind of athlete. Chandler Jones probably is too, in a slightly different way. Those are the kind of guys we need, as many of 'em as possible.

Guys like Trent Murphy. Kyle Van Noy. Marcus Smith. Christian Jones.

That's why those guys' names keep showing up in my mocks.

Good to have you back, "Brother Mayo":D

I agree pretty much on all counts. The kind of defense we need to build is one that is big, athletic, and pressures the QB from the inside out rather than the other way around.

I think that if Seattle has a "blueprint", its that you need to look for Athletes with a capital A. They dip into non-bowl teams more than anyone in the league, now that Gene Smith's out in Jacksonville. They take players who are really big and really fast, and coach them up. They don't care where you went to school.

Right now SF and SEA have built their teams by taking advantage of market inefficiencies. Irrational fear of low competition levels and "projects". We need to do the same to get ahead instead of paying full price on the dollar to get guys from the Alabamas of the world.

Does NE have the coaches to do the coaching up?

I said it was insanely brilliant.
Guys like Trent Murphy. Kyle Van Noy. Marcus Smith. Christian Jones.

That's why those guys' names keep showing up in my mocks.

Four of those guys will land on Seattle and SF. Hopefully BB trends towards those guys like he did with JC last year.

Anyway, so my question for you guys. Forget what Seattle has done - big guys and stuff. What is NEXT? What opportunities are waiting to be exploited? Can you think of something "ahead of the curve" for the Pats to do this offseason?

Well this where I disagree a bit with Mayo, in particular about Spikes and Hightower being redundant. When I see teams getting smaller on the DL and at LB and running base nickel defenses, the one thing I'm going to do as an OC is get myself a nice big back, someone like LeGarette Blount, get some heavy TEs and then run it down the throats of those midget defenses. In two to three years, Hightower's and Spikes' may be less redundant than people think.

I should also point out that the perceived two best teams in the NFL are two predominantly rushing teams that play smash mouth football with power backs (Gore and Lynch) and have Fullbacks that are used often.

Well this where I disagree a bit with Mayo, in particular about Spikes and Hightower being redundant. When I see teams getting smaller on the DL and at LB and running base nickel defenses, the one thing I'm going to do as an OC is get myself a nice big back, someone like LeGarette Blount, get some heavy TEs and then run it down the throats of those midget defenses. In two to three years, Hightower's and Spikes' may be less redundant than people think.

I should also point out that the perceived two best teams in the NFL are two predominantly rushing teams that play smash mouth football with power backs (Gore and Lynch) and have Fullbacks that are used often.

I'm not suggesting that we sell out on the ability to stop the run. But I don't know if you need 265# LBs to do it.

San Francisco had one of the best rushing defenses in the NFL last year. 95.9 YPG average, but it wasn't just that. Watching their DL impose its will on opponents in goal line situations was inspiring. The 49ers played a 3-4, but they had 240# Navorro Bowman and 242# Patrick Willis as the LBs, both of whom are terrific in coverage but strong against the run. Their DL had 297# Glenn Dorsey as the NT, 285# Justin Smith at one DE spot, and 290# Ray McDonald at the other - not a particularly massive line. They were "small" up the middle compared to many top defenses, but they were a very tough run defense. You don't necessarily have to sacrifice run defense for mobility and versatility.

Lavonte David is a very strong run stopping LB despite being 230#. I think that size is a bit of a fallacy - the distinction between "mass" and "core strength" is one that Grid and I have been discussing for years:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...2013-prospect-thread-page18.html#post3044496 (see post #178)

I think it's a fallacy to draft 330# guys like Ron Brace who have no core strength over 285# guys who have tremendous core strength. Aaron Donald obviously has terrific core strength despite his size, while much bigger guys like Da'Quan Jones don't clearly have nearly as much core strength as mass. It's not clear to me that Dont'a Hightower has particularly great core strength for all his size.

One of the reasons that I like Christian Jones so much is that he is both incredibly fluid in space - think Alec Ogletree - but very strong with excellent core strength, more like David in his ability to fight through blockers despite his size. So strong that he was played at DT at times while weighing 236#, and so fluid that he was put in man coverage on Sammie Watkins at times. That's a terrific combination.

Anyway, I certainly don't want to sell out the ability to defend the run, but I see a limited value to guys like Spikes (and, to a lesser degree, Hightower) in today's NFL. JMHO.

I posted this quote from a Greg Cosell article last year in another thread, but it's relevant here:

In a passing league, what must you do? You must rush the quarterback, and you must cover receivers. That’s the Cliff's Notes version. The devil is always in the details. What the Seahawks have done is draft and sign players that give them tremendous pass rush versatility -- and just as important, disruption on the outside versus wide receivers.

Go back a year to the 2012 NFL draft. All we heard when Seattle selected Bruce Irvin with the 15th overall pick in the first round was, “what a reach.” Those same “experts” would then tell you in the next breath that rushing the quarterback is the most important defensive element in today’s NFL. And by the way, Irvin played 46 percent of the snaps in his rookie season, including the playoffs, recording 11 sacks. But there’s a much larger point at work here. It’s how you scheme pass rush pressure. With Irvin, a returning Chris Clemons, and newly signed Cliff Avril, the Seahawks have three players who can align anywhere in their nickel sub-package. They all have what we call “Joker” ability, the talent to line up in either 3-point or 2-point stances and rush from different positions and angles.

What you have is an ideal mix of physical athleticism, and multiple schemes. It’s the new age pressure concepts in the NFL. It’s very difficult to line up with four defensive linemen in conventional positions, and create consistent pressure on the quarterback.
Not only is it difficult to find four players who can do that, it’s tactically easier for the offense to protect against those more basic fronts. What defenses are trying to accomplish is pass protection indecision based on front alignments, coupled with athletic mismatches. The Seahawks are well positioned to do that with their personnel.

Let’s not forget Bennett. In Tampa last season, he played defensive end in the base 4-3, and then moved inside to tackle in the nickel and dime sub-packages. His pass rush quickness was not only a problem for offensive guards, it allowed him to be effective with stunts, another tactic that creates hesitation and confusion in pass protection schemes. The bottom line is this: the Seahawks have constructed a multi-dimensional combination of talent with speed, athleticism, and position and scheme versatility. That’s what’s necessary in the NFL of 2013 and beyond.

The picture is not complete, however. The Seahawks made a commitment to big, physical corners, players who were not held in the same high value around the league because they did not possess what has long been regarded as the necessary attributes of lateral quickness, dynamic change of direction and timed speed. Richard Sherman was a former wide receiver at Stanford who switched to corner his final two years. The Seahawks selected the 6’3” Sherman in the fifth round of the 2011 draft. He is arguably the best cornerback in the NFL entering the 2013 season. 6’4” Brandon Browner was undrafted out of Oregon State in 2005; again, he was seen as too slow and not quick enough to play NFL corner. The Seahawks signed him as a free agent after 4 seasons with the Calgary Stampeders of the Canadian Football League.

Gus Bradley, the Seahawks defensive coordinator the last four seasons before becoming the Jacksonville Jaguars' head coach in January, summed it up best. He once said, “Whatever scheme you play, you’ve got to create disruption at the perimeter.” With Sherman and Browner, the Seahawks do that more consistently and better than any team in the NFL. Disruption outside with taller, more aggressive corners; pass rush flexibility and adaptability with athletic and versatile hybrids who can align all over.

That’s the template for defensive success in a passing league.

Y! SPORTS

That's what I want:

1. "A multi-dimensional combination of talent with speed, athleticism, and position and scheme versatility" built around multiple "players who can align anywhere in the nickel sub-package" with the "talent to line up in either 3-point or 2-point stances and rush from different positions and angles." Bingo. That's Jamie Collins. Maybe Dont'a Hightower, Chandler Jones and Rob Ninkovich to some extent, but we really didn't take advantage of their versatility. We need to, and we need more guys like Trent Murphy, Kyle Van Noy, Marcus Smith, Christian Jones, maybe Jerry Attaochu. We need as many of those kind of versatile guys as possible. As we saw in the AFCCG, "it’s very difficult to line up with four defensive linemen in conventional positions, and create consistent pressure on the quarterback." It wasn't so hard for Seattle, coming from all angles.

2. "Disruption at the perimeter" with bigger, more physical corners. Aqib Talib is a step in the right direction, and Alfonzo Dennard is plenty physical. The Pats need a couple more big, physical DBs and a more physical presence over the middle. Calvin Pryor, Stanley Jean-Baptiste, Antone Exum, Aaron Colvin, Jonathan Dowling, Dontae Johnson.

"Disruption outside with taller, more aggressive corners; pass rush flexibility and adaptability with athletic and versatile hybrids who can align all over. That’s the template for defensive success in a passing league." That's what Cosell predicted Seattle was aiming for 11 months ago, and that's pretty much the story of their dominant defensive performance in the Super Bowl.

And you don't have to sell out being able to stop the run to do it, as Seattle and SF have showed.

I'm not suggesting that we sell out on the ability to stop the run. But I don't know if you need 265# LBs to do it.

San Francisco had one of the best rushing defenses in the NFL last year. 95.9 YPG average, but it wasn't just that. Watching their DL impose its will on opponents in goal line situations was inspiring. The 49ers played a 3-4, but they had 240# Navorro Bowman and 242# Patrick Willis as the LBs, both of whom are terrific in coverage but strong against the run. Their DL had 297# Glenn Dorsey as the NT, 285# Justin Smith at one DE spot, and 290# Ray McDonald at the other - not a particularly massive line. They were "small" up the middle compared to many top defenses, but they were a very tough run defense. You don't necessarily have to sacrifice run defense for mobility and versatility.

Lavonte David is a very strong run stopping LB despite being 230#. I think that size is a bit of a fallacy - the distinction between "mass" and "core strength" is one that Grid and I have been discussing for years:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...2013-prospect-thread-page18.html#post3044496 (see post #178)

I think it's a fallacy to draft 330# guys like Ron Brace who have no core strength over 285# guys who have tremendous core strength. Aaron Donald obviously has terrific core strength despite his size, while much bigger guys like Da'Quan Jones don't clearly have nearly as much core strength as mass. It's not clear to me that Dont'a Hightower has particularly great core strength for all his size.

One of the reasons that I like Christian Jones so much is that he is both incredibly fluid in space - think Alec Ogletree - but very strong with excellent core strength, more like David in his ability to fight through blockers despite his size. So strong that he was played at DT at times while weighing 236#, and so fluid that he was put in man coverage on Sammie Watkins at times. That's a terrific combination.

Anyway, I certainly don't want to sell out the ability to defend the run, but I see a limited value to guys like Spikes (and, to a lesser degree, Hightower) in today's NFL. JMHO.

Great stuff. I think one point worth mentioning is the explosion and speed that players have relative to their weight: while many people tend to attribute higher value to the bigger/heavier guy they can actually come up on the losing end of the power equation due to that size. With E=MV (squared) we have an the velocity being a force multiplier so to speak, which can allow a lighter player with better speed to deliver much more force than a heavier player moving slower.

Also, even if the actual force generated is the same, if the lighter player engages just a fraction of a second sooner than then heavier player is ready to be engaged (maybe they’re not quite centered or balanced) they can be dominated. This is exactly what happened at the Senior Bowl, when Aaron Donald (285lbs) completely owned Cyril Richardson (340lbs).

Finally, with the rules increasingly favoring the passing game I think you’ll see a relative shift favoring a lighter/faster game with players to match.

Wow, OTG. Someone needs to just hack into Grantland and make the url redirect to this link.

Hah!! Humble and grateful Thanks, Brother Shaw!!
jester.gif
beer.gif

I had the time of my Life, putting that together. Absolutely delighted that one so wise as Ye ~ Brother Mayo and I, for two, are Fans!! ~ would put my Work up there with the Hallowed Greatness of GrantLand!! :rocker:

69yxi.gif

I wish I knew how to slow down gif files but I'm fascinated by how quickly Donald is in a position to exert force, that first step is the foundation for how well or poorly a defender is going to get into the opposing backfield.

- NT: I would cut Wilfork. The risks of extending him and being saddled with his contract if he can't come back outweigh the risks of cutting him. I'd sign Linval Joseph (think Brandon Mebane) as a UFA if possible. Louis Nix in the 1st round and Justin Ellis in the 3rd/4th are my preferred draft options. Sealver Siliga provides quality depth and rotational capability.

I think you are looking at one side of things with Wilfork and that is the $7.5m cap savings, on the flipside there is still a $3.6m cap hit even if we cut him, so when you sign a Joseph for $3m you are paying $6.6m for a mediocre defensive tackle.

I hope it goes without saying that we hypothetically ask Wilfork to restructure his contract (loaded with performance incentives) before we hypothetically play the odds and cut him.

Brady, Bruschi and Wilfork are personally the only players Id allow loyalty and my respect for their past play to overrule the writing on the wall and give them that extra year to disprove the odds.

Wilfork is one of the three Id "happily" overpay for their last year before succumbing to the reality of their age and the business of professional football.

Just my humble opinion,
GM Danger Zone ;)

I think you are looking at one side of things with Wilfork and that is the $7.5m cap savings, on the flipside there is still a $3.6m cap hit even if we cut him, so when you sign a Joseph for $3m you are paying $6.6m for a mediocre defensive tackle.

Linval Joseph is just as good as Wilfork is these days, who was mediocre at the beginning of the year and uninspiring for most of 2012. Not sure what you're talking about.

I've never understood the fascination with Vince. He's a good dude sure. And he's been one of hte best run stopping DT in the league in the past, but that's only half the game (at best if you look at ratios these days). And outside of two or three games, he's been non existent in the other half of the game since 2008. And the results reflect that mediocrity. What has he done to deserve some kind of financial carte blanche? Every defense he's led has been mediocre at best and a dumpster fire at worst.

Linval Joseph is just as good as Wilfork is these days, who was mediocre at the beginning of the year and uninspiring for most of 2012. Not sure what you're talking about.

I've never understood the fascination with Vince. He's a good dude sure. And he's been one of hte best run stopping DT in the league in the past, but that's only half the game (at best if you look at ratios these days). And outside of two or three games in his career he's been non existent in the other half of the game since 2008. And the results reflect that mediocrity. What has he done to deserve some kind of financial carte blanche? Every defense he's led has been mediocre at best and a dumpster fire at worst.

I dont think you can blame Vince to much for the performance of the defense, especially over the past few season. When he came into the league the Pats were a very good D with Bruschi, Vrabel, Seymour, Samuel, Colvin and Harrison. By the time Vince was entering his prime, all these players got old or left for other teams. Then Vince had players like Brace, Mike Wright, Jarvis Green, TBC, Gary Guyten, Cunningham, Merriweather and Chung.

Now it seems like the opposite is happening. Now that the Pats seem to be bringing in better players on the D, Jones, Collins, Mayo, Talib, McCourty, Vince is breaking down.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back