PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Blueprint for the Defense

Oliver Thomas of NEPatriotsDraft looks at DB Jemea Thomas:

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2014/05/patriots-found-upside-in-georgia-tech-do-it-all-jemea-thomas.html

Included in Thomas' analysis is a discussion of Thomas' potential to play a "star" kind of LB/S role, despite his 5'9" 192# size:

I'm a bit skeptical, but it would be nice if Thomas can indeed accomplish some of this at the next level. I think it's more likely that he replaces Kyle Arrington in 2015, when Arrington's contract makes it easier (though still not easy) to move on.

This is one of those picks that i love when I knew nothing about the kid before they picked him. I agree that the best case scxenario is that he sees time this year and wins Arrington's job in 2015.

That's a great point, and one I haven't failed to note. I'm skeptical about Morgan being available given his productivity, and all I've said is something to the effect of "IF he is available for a less than exorbitant price, the Pats would do well to pursue it". Personally, I think it's a long shot, but a situation worth monitoring. While I don't think that Morgan makes a good 3-4 OLB neither does Chandler Jones, and I think he fits fine in a multi-front hybrid defense.

FWIW, the following read was a bit more sobering:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2014/02/18/tennessee-titans-hope-derrick-morgan-can-learn-from-college-coach/5567885/

I just threw this idea out as an intriguing idea since NFL.com raised it, and mentioned the Pats as a possible landing spot. I think that in a month - after OTAs and minicamp - the Titans will have a better feel for how Morgan fits in Horton's defensive scheme, and in their long term plans.

It's a shame you don't post this kind of stuff in the main forum because it would make for much more interesting football discussion there. Right or wrong about any of the speculation this is the kind of stuff knowledgeable football fans should want to be discussing. Their needs and the direction they are going in, who could be available and what the costs might be, and what their future needs and opportunities might be. It looks like the best place for current football discussion may actually be the draft forum.

Personally I am too Patriots centric, I don't spend enough time looking at other teams and that's something i should change going forward. Appreciate the information, great stuff as always.

Last edited:
The great thing about the Easely pick is that it addresses a number of things in one move. They get a penetrating DL who can start inside, a rotational DE to spell Jones and Ninkovich, which was another big need, and they get a young DT to start the rebuilding process on that unit. All in all an excellent pick.

For me the key to their defensive future is going to be getting the deals done with Revis and McCourty. If they can achieve that they will be able to focus on adding the rotational players you are talking about for the DL and front 7 while maintaining a top 5 scoring defense. If they don't get those deals done they will be faced with needs across the board defensively going into next offseason.

Time to back up the Brinks truck at Bob Kraft's bank.

The great thing about the Easely pick is that it addresses a number of things in one move. They get a penetrating DL who can start inside, a rotational DE to spell Jones and Ninkovich, which was another big need, and they get a young DT to start the rebuilding process on that unit. All in all an excellent pick.

Easley's versatility and ability to disrupt from any gap from the 0/1 to the 9 technique is part of what makes him so special, IMO. Doug Farrar calls him the most gap-diverse DL prospect he's seen since Melvin Ingram.

For me the key to their defensive future is going to be getting the deals done with Revis and McCourty. If they can achieve that they will be able to focus on adding the rotational players you are talking about for the DL and front 7 while maintaining a top 5 scoring defense. If they don't get those deals done they will be faced with needs across the board defensively going into next offseason.

Time to back up the Brinks truck at Bob Kraft's bank.

I completely agree, and I can't see the Pats being dumb enough to let either of those 2 go.

It's obviously way too early to determine how the 2014 defense will shape up or what the main needs will be for 2015, but (assuming Revis and McCourty are extended) here are 7 guys who I could see bringing tremendous value to the defense:

1. Shawn Oakman, DE, Baylor.* 6'8" 285#. Very inconsistent right now, but Oakman has incredible burst for such a big guy.

2. Arik Armstead, DE/DT, Oregon.* 6'7" 290#. Armond Armstead's younger brother. Like Oakman, he's inconsistent right now, but he has tremendous size and athleticism. He's giving up basketball to focus completely on football this year.

3. Dante Fowler, DE/OLB, Florida. 6'3" 270#. Lines up all over the defensive front 7 and creates mismatches. One of the most versatile defensive players in college football.

4. Kyler Fackrell, OLB, Utah St.* 6'5" 245#. The next Jamie Collins?

5. Eric Striker, OLB, Oklahoma.* 6'2" 220#. The next Ryan Shazier? Bob Stoops calls Striker the best blitzer he has ever coached.

6. Shaq Thomson, OLB/S, Washington.* 6'2" 225#. Tremendous mobility (6'57 3-cone and 3.99 SS), hits like a truck.

7. Cody Prewitt, S, Mississippi St. 6'2" 220#. Led the SEC in INTs with 6 in 2013. Compares favorably to Harrison Smith, IMO.

Find a long term LDE complement to Chandler Jones and a long term compliment to Devin McCourty and the defense should get even better.

It's obviously way too early to determine how the 2014 defense will shape up or what the main needs will be for 2015, but (assuming Revis and McCourty are extended) here are 7 guys who I could see bringing tremendous value to the defense:

1. Shawn Oakman, DE, Baylor.* 6'8" 285#. Very inconsistent right now, but Oakman has incredible burst for such a big guy.

2. Arik Armstead, DE/DT, Oregon.* 6'7" 290#. Armond Armstead's younger brother. Like Oakman, he's inconsistent right now, but he has tremendous size and athleticism. He's giving up basketball to focus completely on football this year.

3. Dante Fowler, DE/OLB, Florida. 6'3" 270#. Lines up all over the defensive front 7 and creates mismatches. One of the most versatile defensive players in college football.

5. Eric Striker, OLB, Oklahoma.* 6'2" 220#. The next Ryan Shazier? Bob Stoops calls Striker the best blitzer he has ever coached.

6. Shaq Thomson, OLB/S, Washington.* 6'2" 225#. Tremendous mobility (6'57 3-cone and 3.99 SS), hits like a truck.

7. Cody Prewitt, S, Mississippi St. 6'2" 220#. Led the SEC in INTs with 6 in 2013. Compares favorably to Harrison Smith, IMO.

Find a long term LDE complement to Chandler Jones and a long term compliment to Devin McCourty and the defense should get even better.
Good list; I especially liked #s 3 & 7, and the closing sentence is an absolute must-do. I'm anxious
to see what Buchanan & Kyle Moore have to offer (Jake the Fake Bequette's a lost cause), but am disheartened that SS was given no thought whatsoever.

Good list; I especially liked #s 3 & 7, and the closing sentence is an absolute must-do. I'm anxious
to see what Buchanan & Kyle Moore have to offer (Jake the Fake Bequette's a lost cause), but am disheartened that SS was given no thought whatsoever.

I don't expect Bequette to be around past training camp. I assume you mean Zach Moore - I am hoping that in time he and Michael Buchanan will develop as quality depth at LDE and RDE, respectively, but right now I would be quite happy if they get that far. That still leaves plenty of room for a long term complement to Chandler Jones.

I do indeed mean Zach Moore; I don't know from where I got the Kyle.

How weird is this? Thanks to Wikipedia, I've learned that the Bucs 4th-round pick in 2008, 115th overall, was DT (and could've been 3-4 DE?) Dre Moore; the Bucs 4th-round pick in 2009, 117th overall,
was 4-3 DE Kyle Moore. That was moore than I had previously known.

How weird is this? Thanks to Wikipedia, I've learned that the Bucs 4th-round pick in 2008, 115th overall, was DT (and could've been 3-4 DE?) Dre Moore; the Bucs 4th-round pick in 2009, 117th overall,
was 4-3 DE Kyle Moore. That was moore than I had previously known.

How do you like it? How do you like it? Moore, Moore, Moore!! :D

Two guys on this list recently got some attention. First, Dane Brugler of CBS Sports rated Eric Striker as the top Oklahoma Sooners' pro prospect:

1. OLB Eric Striker, Junior (6-0 | 219 | 4.73 | #19)

The only Sooner who registered double digit tackles for loss last season, Striker is an exciting player who jumps off the screen. He plays a variety of roles in Oklahoma's base 3-4 scheme, standing up on the edges where he can rush the passer, drop in space or hold up in coverage. Striker, who has drawn comparisons to Ryan Shazier by some NFL scouts, has outstanding play speed, but needs to find the weight room and commit himself to getting stronger and maxing out his frame as he is too easily overwhelmed and locked up once engaged by blockers. He has excellent initial get-off quickness and edge speed as a pass rusher to win the corner, dip his shoulder and flatten to the pocket. Striker is energetic and covers a lot of ground, using his eyes well to track and anticipate with his improved ball awareness. He isn't quite the first round prospect that Shazier was, but he's not too far off with the athleticism and position versatility that will impress NFL teams.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24581094/nfl-draft-oklahoma-preview

Second, NFL.com's Chase Goodbread listed Cody Prewitt #5 on a list of the top 14 most physical players in college football:

5. Cody Prewitt, DB, Ole Miss

Particulars:
6-2, 212, senior

Buzz:He led the SEC in interceptions last season with six, but don't let that fool you: Prewitt is a hitter first, and a coverage ace second. He's like an extra linebacker when it comes to run support, and patrols the middle of the field with a nasty streak on passing downs. Recall star Vanderbilt receiver Jordan Matthews vomiting on national TV last year in the first game of the season after taking a brutal hit -- it was Prewitt on the giving end.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap2000000355749

Here's a couple of clips of Prewitt laying the lumber:

Either of these guys would help fill the only remaining major hole in the back end of the defense. The line between a linebacker who plays in space like a safety and a safety who hits like an extra linebacker is negligible - either one blurs the line between the "base" and "sub" defense.

Last edited:
Good list; I especially liked #s 3 & 7, and the closing sentence is an absolute must-do.

Dante Fowler reminds me of a bigger, more athletic and more explosive Rob Ninkovich in some ways. He certainly has the versatility that BB loves. In other ways he reminds me of Da'Quan Bowers coming out of Clemson, but with a better motor and work ethic. Will Muschamp also had this to say about Fowler last fall:

Will Muschamp just came out and said it, displaying candor not every coach would want to mimic: In some cases, the better the player, the more uncoachable he can become. But in the case of sophomore linebacker Dante Fowler, one of the Southeastern Conference's most promising pass rushers, the Gators have a special player who couldn't be more coachable, Muschamp said.

"Dante has a great personality," Muschamp told gatorsports.com. "He's a lot of fun to be around and coach. He's a joy to coach. You can coach Dante hard. Guys of his caliber sometimes are not approachable in that situation. He's a guy that takes coaching. He wants to be coached hard."

It's that combination of talent and discipline that can mean the difference between an NFL rookie who flourishes and one who struggles, so consider Muschamp's compliment one that Fowler should add to his resume for pro football when the time comes. For now, Fowler is busy stuffing his resume with some impressive numbers. He ranks fourth in the SEC in tackles for loss with seven and is tied for seventh in sacks with three.

Muschamp said Fowler's determination to improve has played a big role in his success.

"When he makes a mistake, he wants to know what he can do to get better," Muschamp said. "He's just a very coachable player. That's what makes him a really good player."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000258782/article/florida-coach-will-muschamp-praises-lb-dante-fowler

That kind of stuff must be music to BB's ears.

Last edited:
A nice read by Alen Dumonjic on Dominique Easley:

http://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/502690

More on Easley, from Doug Farrar at CNNSI.com:

What makes Easley special? As Belichick said, he plays multiple defensive line positions at a ridiculously high level. And for a defensive mind such as Belichick’s, he’s a perfect cog in a lot of ways. Belichick has been blurring the lines between 3-4 and 4-3 gap concepts long before they were the standard in the NFL; he wants players who can fit in all sorts of line gaps and disrupt no matter where they’re lined up.

http://nfl.si.com/2014/06/06/break-it-down-dominique-easley-could-redefine-new-englands-defensive-fronts/

It's a detailed and interesting read. I particularly liked the discussion of Easley's ability to dominant in a 2-gap as well as a 1-gap scheme, both from different positions on the DL. I also liked this bit:

In 2013, the Patriots spent most of their time in a nickel defense with a four-man front — per Football Outsiders, they rushed four linemen 65.6 percent of the time (10th in the league), and had five defensive backs on the field 58 percent of the time (eighth in the NFL, and 9 percent over league average). New England also rushed five 18.9 percent of the time, which ranked 25th.

The four-man front with a nickel defense has become en vogue as a base concept for one primary reason — the stunning uptick in pass-first, no-huddle offenses over the last few seasons. In 2013, teams actually put five defensive backs on the field more often than they did four — 49 percent to 40 percent — and it was the second straight season that had happened, which is presumably NFL history. When you’re playing a base defense against a high-volume aerial offense, you must have the requisite number and quality of pass-defenders on the field as well as the right number and quality of pass-rushers, and you must do so in a way that precludes defensive substitutions – which, of course, the no-huddle is designed to stop.

The best way — perhaps the only way — to consistently counter an NFL no-huddle offense is to acquire players who have the ability to affect the passing game without substitutions. On the fly, moving to different gaps, and with multiple techniques. That’s why the Patriots took the gamble on Easley.

Last edited:
Mike Reiss looks at new LB James Anderson:

Pass coverage a strength: Anderson matched up against tight ends, receivers and running backs and mostly held his own. The first defensive play of the season seemed to reflect his solid feel for the passing game, as he aligned on the weak side of the formation, stayed home as there was play-action to the opposite side, and then was in position to quickly bring down tight end Tyler Eifert who had come in motion to his side to catch a short pass while headed toward the sideline. We saw Anderson later break up a pass to receiver Mohamed Sanu on third-and-5, and also drop out of an A-gap blitz look into a short zone and almost intercept a pass intended for receiver Marvin Jones on a slant. He consistently showed an ability to open his hips and carry a tight end down the field as he still runs well. In the season finale, Anderson's ability to drop deep in middle coverage made a potential touchdown pass from Aaron Rodgers to Jordy Nelson a tougher throw than it would have been otherwise (it was thrown too high and was incomplete). Overall, Anderson seemed more effective playing backwards than towards the line of scrimmage, with a little bit of a knack for dropping out of a blitz look and making a play as a pass defender. The biggest knock on Anderson in the passing game was a mental error we saw in the season finale as he failed to scoop up a loose football on what initially appeared to be an incomplete pass (the ball slipping out of Rodgers' hand) but was actually a fumble that the Packers advanced for a touchdown.

Projecting Anderson's role with Patriots: Unlike the Bears, who struggled on defense in 2013, the Patriots almost certainly won't be calling on Anderson for full-time duties should he make the roster. So he adds depth and his coverage skills could be tapped in a variety of ways based on each week's defensive game-plan, most likely in sub packages (which the Patriots were in 67 percent of the time last year). In that sense, Anderson's signing reminds me a little bit of the Patriots and another former Chicago Bear -- defensive end Mark Anderson (2011). The Patriots used Mark Anderson solely as a nickel rusher and got the best out of him with that less-is-more approach. The same could hold true with James Anderson, who could be a solid addition as a fourth or fifth linebacker.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4763789/film-study-on-new-lb-james-anderson

By all accounts Anderson wore down over the course of the season playing a full-time starting role over 16 games. But also by all accounts he still played at a very capable level, especially in coverage, and accomplished a lot under difficult circumstances with a porous defense in front of him, behind him, and to both sides. Unless he's fallen off dramatically since last season (he turns 31 this fall), he should be a major upgrade to Dane Fletcher.

I'm with Reiss in hoping that Anderson turns out to be more than just depth at LB, and that he gets used situationally as an effective weapon. I'd love to see him play a LB/S kind of role in sub packages, and could see at least a possibility that he could be more effective in that role than anyone else the Pats currently have (not very difficult given that Pat Chung, Tavon Wilson and Nate Ebner are the other 3 guys likely to play such a role). Anderson had excellent speed and athleticism (4.59 40, 6.68 3C and 41" VJ coming out in 2006) and he still appeared to play fairly fast last year; he's known for being a cerebral player and a "coach on the field" type of guy. BB hasn't had anyone with his skill set in a long, long time (Gary Guyton probably comes closest, but he never played up to his timed speed and lacked Anderson's overall game). I'm also hoping that Anderson plays well enough in that kind of a role to pave the way for BB to go after a guy like Shaq Thompson, Cody Prewitt or Eric Striker in the future.

Dante Fowler reminds me of a bigger, more athletic and more explosive Rob Ninkovich in some ways. He certainly has the versatility that BB loves. In other ways he reminds me of Da'Quan Bowers coming out of Clemson, but with a better motor and work ethic.

The big question I have with Dante Fowler is this: if BB wants a 6'3" 270# DE with the versatility to line up at LB and play at multiple positions, why not just use Dont'a Hightower in that role? I'd much rather have Hightower in that role than as a full time LB where he just isn't fluid enough in space, and go with Jamie Collins at SAM, Jerod Mayo at MLB, and a WLB/S hybrid with speed like Shaq Thompson or Eric Striker, or a big safety who can play a hybrid LB role like Cody Prewitt. That would also allow the base and nickel defenses to essentially use the same personnel if necessary (a 4-2-1-4, similar to what Ellis Johnson uses, as discussed above in posts #935 and #937 above):

DL Hightower/Ninkovich - Wilfork - Easley - Cha. Jones
LB Collins - Mayo
LB/S Thompson/Striker/Prewitt
S McCourty
CB Revis - Browner - Dennard/Ryan

Against run-heavy teams you could pull one of the CBs and add an extra 3-tech (Kelly/Armstead) and play a 5-2 base.

Personally, I'd much rather have that kind of personnel grouping than have Hightower as a pure LB.

Let's see how Hightower performs as full-time MLB. It would seem obvious that he should not play LB
during passing downs, so he should either be removed from the field completely or tried at DE.
As an early-down/short-yardage/goal-line MLB, he'll more than adequately replace Spikes by trading
slightly less power for slightly more mobility.

Let's see how Hightower performs as full-time MLB. It would seem obvious that he should not play LB
during passing downs, so he should either be removed from the field completely or tried at DE.
As an early-down/short-yardage/goal-line MLB, he'll more than adequately replace Spikes by trading
slightly less power for slightly more mobility.

I'm sure Hightower will be an improvement on Spikes at MLB, but he's still a question-mark there IMO. I'm not sure that he's mentally or physically quick enough. I keep remembering Drew Boylhart's scouting report on Hightower in 2012:

Dont'a is playing middle linebacker for his college team, but that is not his impact position for the next level. He has to think too much and right now, he doesn't show the instincts needed to play that position for the next level. He hesitates and his athletic talent is covering up a lot of false steps and the fact that he is susceptible to play action.

Dont'a has the potential to be a big time star in the NFL for the team that drafts him. His linebacker skills are lacking maturity because, he has changed positions just about every year he has played. At this point his impact position is as a OLB/DE in a 3-4 defense, but he will also impact as a OLB in a 4-3 or DE in a 4-3. Dont'a should impact right away as a pass rusher and if you keep his assignments simple for awhile, he should impact as an OLB also. Don't get me wrong, Dont'a is smart enough but right now, he is thinking way too much, which is creating delays in his reactions. Draft this kid and use him to attack the line of scrimmage and he has a chance to be defensive rookie of the year. Make him your middle linebacker and you will have to wait a few years to feel the full force of his impact.

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/archive/2012profiles/Donta.Hightower.htm

I always felt Hightower was a mis-fit pick for where the Pats' D was headed in 2012. He fits much better in the old 3-4. Given the likely current direction of the defense, I think Hightower would be much more effective being used in a Derrick Morgan kind of role, playing on the line and only dropping back occasionally. The combination of a 7.55 3-cone and poor instincts and processing speed scares the heck out of me as a full time MLB. No doubt he's gotten better, but I still have my doubts. Hopefully he'll be limited to non-passing downs in that role, but I don't really see the value of using a top-25 pick on a 2-down MLB. Those guys can easily be found on day 3 of the draft.

Wow. That scouting report on Hightower at ILB really bums me out.

I always felt Hightower was a mis-fit pick for where the Pats' D was headed in 2012. He fits much better in the old 3-4. Given the likely current direction of the defense, I think Hightower would be much more effective being used in a Derrick Morgan kind of role, playing on the line and only dropping back occasionally. The combination of a 7.55 3-cone and poor instincts and processing speed scares the heck out of me as a full time MLB. No doubt he's gotten better, but I still have my doubts. Hopefully he'll be limited to non-passing downs in that role, but I don't really see the value of using a top-25 pick on a 2-down MLB. Those guys can easily be found on day 3 of the draft.

Regarding the above, I said it during the 2012 draft, and I still believe it now: Why in the name of
Ganja would Bill take a 4-3 DE like Chandler Jones, then turn right around and take a 3-4 LB like Hightower? No consistency there at all. And if Bill were truly committed to re-making the defense
into one that could better play in space, then why didn't he take Lavonte David when he was ripe for
the picking?

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back