PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Offseason Champions

Show416

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Why is everyone already crowning the Colts?? Did anyone watch Frank Gore last year? He was awful and he had a much better O-line than the Colts have. Can someone explain this to me? Gore is 31, Andre Johnson is 33. These signings dont really strike fear in my heart at least.

Johnson still has some left IMO. Montcrief looks legit too and could take a huge step forward in his 2nd year.

Gore isn't that great to me.

Why is everyone already crowning the Colts?? Did anyone watch Frank Gore last year? He was awful and he had a much better O-line than the Colts have. Can someone explain this to me? Gore is 31, Andre Johnson is 33. These signings dont really strike fear in my heart at least.
It's fashionable to crown an offseason champion in the first few days of Free Agency. Unfortunately, mediots tend to forget that it's not the flashy, name signings that win Super Bowls.

The Colts are overpaying for players in an arms race attempting to catch New England. That worked out well for Denver.

1.) Who crowned the Colts after 32 hours? Seriously, I 100% missed them being crowned winners of anything
2.) Offseason champs usually end up picking in the first half of the first round

Because they do this every year. Other than the 09 yankees what team in any sport who "won" the off season has won anything? The media loves the jets and Broncos moves last season and they both crashed and burn (obviously to different degrees). When it comes time to play these teams will fold up

Do you remember when everyone was raving about Vick and Chris Johnson playing with the Jets?

I don't agree with the OP that "Gore looked 'awful' " last season. Actually, I think that's ridiculous.

He gained 1106 yards, had a solid 4.3 YPC, and has been very consistent throughout the last 5-6 years:

2007--1102 yds

2008--1036 yds

2009--1120 yds

2011--1211 yds

2012--1214 yds

2013--1128 yds

2014--1106 yds (more than 2007, and on LESS carries)

The truth of the matter is that the Colts had no running game whatsoever, and now they do--even if Gore "only" gets 1000 yds and has a 4.0 YPC they've obviously improved in this area.

1.) Who crowned the Colts after 32 hours? Seriously, I 100% missed them being crowned winners of anything
2.) Offseason champs usually end up picking in the first half of the first round

To add to my post, IMO, the Jets have "won the offseason" through 3x odd hours. They've upgraded their QB, OL, WR, and DB without losing anyone of consequence.

They will still probably struggle to make the playoffs, let alone sniff the super bowl.

Winning the offseason doesn't mean **** if your team absolutely sucks to start with. The Jets had a great DL entering the 2015 offseason and that's about it, so simply upgrading a few spots doesn't make them contend for anything more than 2nd place in the division and a worse draft pick, because they won't land #32 unless they trade for it.

No. I honestly really don't :)

Ditto, I remember talk of Vick + DJax when he was on the trade block, because they had some great chemistry together, I don't remember a whole lot of talk about the Jets competing for the division.

Not sure where off season champs came from here. I thought the Colts did a pretty good job off identifying some needs and as Grigson did with Landry and Ricky Jean Francois, unloaded them without a monumental cap hit. These contracts look basically the same. I would add that Johnson had 85 catches playing with Fitzpatrick, Mallet, Savage and Case Keenam. With Luck, he should do very well as a third or 4th option. Gore is a definite upgrade over Richardson and Herron and with Bradshaw's injury history yo just don't know. Colts are better than they were Monday.

1.) Who crowned the Colts after 32 hours? Seriously, I 100% missed them being crowned winners of anything.
Multiple "experts" on NFLN say they are now better than the Patriots and have named them "the team to beat" in the AFC.

Last edited:
It is the same way everyone crowned the Broncos last year. They signed a lot of names. And just like the Broncos, those names have some significant question marks with them (the Colts' players are mostly age concerns). And like the Broncos, those additions are likely to work out or not work out to varying degrees.

By themselves, I actually think the additions of Gore and Johnson are good ones for the Colts. Both are upgrades over what they had. But neither addresses what was their most glaring weakness: They have NO answer for a team that wants to run on them.

Even after last year some people on here would rather the Pats be offseason champs than SB champs.

The jests have to be crowned offseason champs with their moves lol. They better win.

irk94.jpg

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back