PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ok, so I just watched some tape of Dorial Green-Beckham...

This from an amateur reading the last page, Colt Lyria looks like a much better risk/reward bet than DGB. In fact, if the kid is still in shape, I think it would be a coupe to get him in here. The only thing I'd demand from him is that he move to NE and stay in the program all through the off season. If he survives that, then we might have found a "gem".

Besides, you know me, I don't think ANY WR is worth all the time and effort we fans put into worrying about them. Every year that we see so many so called super talented guys coming out of the colleges, and guys like Matthews appear out of no where, only cements my belief that competent WR's are the NFL's most easily available commodity.
Kid tore his ACL and then proceeded to get caught with coke this fall, end that talk already

I thought we missed the boat on WR with last years superior crop this years crop definitely not as strong pound for pound but its still pretty good. I see some very exciting prospects in this draft that can be add in Rounds 2 and 3. A Few Teams will go WR early but not alot I can see quite a few to pick from. All our picks are going to be luxury picks. P.s, I would like a legit move TE not named Tim Wright.

On DBG...see Justin Blackmom - Josh Gordan...all world talents ten cent heads. :rolleyes: Do I like his talent? yes I do. Do I think he's completely off the Patriots Board. yes I do. If any of us even think of the Patriots Drafting this guy we need brain surgery. Like I said in post above they are many others with less baggage that fits the bill. Also lets not give up on Aarron Dobson a healthy OTA and Mini Camp and Preseason could pay dividents soon he'll be a year removed from his latest surgery.

I live in KC and have heard a lot on the story of DGB. The situation is pretty bad. To sum up from what was reported on sports radio. He went to his girlfriends friends apartment, broke in, assaulted her, and then robbed her. I think he was drunk. The girl, knowing who he was and his stature on campus, was afraid to press charges because of the backlash to her. Can't quite remember how the story eventually came out, but there was some cover up by Mizzou. Pretty ugly situation and I am not sure he will be on the Patriots radar.

BB is not afraid to take injury prone guys, but someone like this i think we have stay away from.

On DBG...see Justin Blackmom - Josh Gordan...all world talents ten cent heads. :rolleyes: Do I like his talent? yes I do. Do I think he's completely off the Patriots Board. yes I do. If any of us even think of the Patriots Drafting this guy we need brain surgery. Like I said in post above they are many others with less baggage that fits the bill. Also lets not give up on Aarron Dobson a healthy OTA and Mini Camp and Preseason could pay dividents soon he'll be a year removed from his latest surgery.

Agreed on this one, not worth the baggage, even if he turns out to be a great player. The posts here about his past are pretty bad

This from an amateur reading the last page, Colt Lyria looks like a much better risk/reward bet than DGB. In fact, if the kid is still in shape, I think it would be a coupe to get him in here. The only thing I'd demand from him is that he move to NE and stay in the program all through the off season. If he survives that, then we might have found a "gem".

Besides, you know me, I don't think ANY WR is worth all the time and effort we fans put into worrying about them. Every year that we see so many so called super talented guys coming out of the colleges, and guys like Matthews appear out of no where, only cements my belief that competent WR's are the NFL's most easily available commodity.

I personally don't care if he's in shape. Sign him to the lowest contract, bring him in, and let him start his rebirth. I don't care if it takes him till week 12 of next year on the practice squad to get in shape (being sarcastic). He has natural talent that no amount of working out, or training can achieve. With NE's use and success with tight ends, the atmosphere and family feeling our locker room creates, stories like Butler's, and most importantly, our winning success. You can't name a better team for a player like Lyerla to want to be a part of, and a better place to turn it around.

Would I spend I high pick (1st or 2nd round) on DGB? No, not worth the risk.

Would I spend a mid to late round pick on DGB? If I was comfortable with his off the field stuff, absolutely.

Do I want anything to do with Colt Lyerla? Hell no. I didn't want anything to do with him last year and still want nothing to do with him. DGB is a far superior prospect and from what I've heard he has actually made some effort to turn things, something I haven't seen or heard from Lyerla.

I personally don't care if he's in shape. Sign him to the lowest contract, bring him in, and let him start his rebirth. I don't care if it takes him till week 12 of next year on the practice squad to get in shape (being sarcastic). He has natural talent that no amount of working out, or training can achieve. With NE's use and success with tight ends, the atmosphere and family feeling our locker room creates, stories like Butler's, and most importantly, our winning success. You can't name a better team for a player like Lyerla to want to be a part of, and a better place to turn it around.

I have to disagree with this. My problem with Lyerla last year wasn't so much the drug issues or the alleged assault or even the Sandy Hook BS. It was that he didn't respond well to structure and discipline and he flat out quit on his team. If you can't handle playing for Chip Kelly there is no chance you can play for Bill Belichick. Add all the other stuff in and he is just not worth the headache to even think about. Let him go to Seattle where he might actually respond well to Pete Carroll's coaching style.

I have to disagree with this. My problem with Lyerla last year wasn't so much the drug issues or the alleged assault or even the Sandy Hook BS. It was that he didn't respond well to structure and discipline and he flat out quit on his team. If you can't handle playing for Chip Kelly there is no chance you can play for Bill Belichick. Add all the other stuff in and he is just not worth the headache to even think about. Let him go to Seattle where he might actually respond well to Pete Carroll's coaching style.

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2014/9/3/6096841/colt-lyerla-profile-oregon-football

This is not a quick read, but does a great job of describing his situation, and everything that has happened to him.

His situation is no different then Blount. Actually its a mirror image. Especially when you consider they both went to Oregon, and both had their share of issues during their time there. Colt was basically told one thing, which ended up being a big lie, then basically pushed out the door when he wasn't happy with his situation. His dream was to go to USC, and basically Oregon shamed him out of it.
He never had a problem playing for Chip Kelly. It was after Chip Kelly left, and D-bag, ****y, and horrible Mark Helfrich stepped in, that he had problems. Mark Helfrich didn't like him when Kelly was head coach, and thats what made the whole situation go bad.

Trust me, read it. Im not saying he's perfect. However as a FA, he is as low risk, high reward, as it gets.

Last edited:
From what I've seen of DGB, he runs two routes. A go and a screen. He's very big and psychical, and I could see him getting drafted in the 2nd like Gordon, but I don't really want any part of him.
With how badly many WR struggle with the pats playbook I just don't see DGB being someone who would work here. A place like Kansas city seems like a good fit considering that their lack of offensive talent means they can just let him do his thing. Someone is going to take a chance on this guy in the first 30 picks, especially if he has a good combine

Trust me, read it. Im not saying he's perfect. However as a FA, he is as low risk, high reward, as it gets.

So why isn't he already signed as camp body for the Eagles ? If his former college coach won't touch him even though Colts stock is on a all-time low I am not sure who would.

I will chime in real quick.
Matthew Fairburn, now a beat writer for the Bills, was a writer for a paper in Columbia, Missouri at the time of this incident. What he wrote and the stories he told make it sound pretty bad. From the incident through the cover up by the university.
Let's not forget this was not the first incident. He was also caught with a POUND of weed prior to this. How he didn't get distribution charges for that is another story.
Finally, let's not forget the kid has not played in over a year. He was raw then, and now has not had meaningful snaps in a football game for over a year, how much further behind is he now?
He has size and showed flashes of immense talent, but I wouldn't feel comfortable taking him until day 3 and I know that some other team is going to take the risk before then, and I am fine with that.

So why isn't he already signed as camp body for the Eagles ? If his former college coach won't touch him even though Colts stock is on a all-time low I am not sure who would.

Sorry hes not with Philly my man!

Matthew Fairburn, now a beat writer for the Bills, was a writer for a paper in Columbia, Missouri at the time of this incident. What he wrote and the stories he told make it sound pretty bad. From the incident through the cover up by the university.
Let's not forget this was not the first incident. He was also caught with a POUND of weed prior to this. How he didn't get distribution charges for that is another story.
Finally, let's not forget the kid has not played in over a year. He was raw then, and now has not had meaningful snaps in a football game for over a year, how much further behind is he now?
He has size and showed flashes of immense talent, but I wouldn't feel comfortable taking him until day 3 and I know that some other team is going to take the risk before then, and I am fine with that.

Thank you my man. A POUND....Thats nothing but trouble to the finest extent!! lol. He guilty as ****, Trust me! He a complete idiot.

Aside from the fact that Beckham has major off-field red flags and that he is raw as a prospect, we don't really know very much about his "football character". Does he have the drive, motivation and work ethic to get better, or is he just a freakish talent? We generally know that athletic freaks who don't have the discipline and work ethic to improve seldom make it that far in the NFL.

Strengths: 7,8,9 routes. He excels running the post, post corner and go routes. He'll go up and get it if he can. If hes not the best, he's top 3 in his class in terms of 50/50 balls. He's 6'5-6'6 and plays up to bis size. Possible nightmare in the red zone because of everything mentioned above.

Weaknesses: He struggles on short/intermediate routes. Everything from rounding routes to catching the ball with his body. If hes ever going to be a true number one or two hes going to have to get better at crossing, slants, drags etc. He could be a walking first down if he chooses to polish this part of his game. Also hes not a sudden or overly explosive player. And of course the off the field problems everyone has been discussing. Not to mention he hasn't played a significant snap of football in over a year

Best fit would be a team that had a solid 1st, 2nd option and he adjust while doing what he does best. Seattle, Carolina, NE, Balt NyG come to mind.

Right now I see him as an X but I think he play off the line as well.

In terms of the comparison to Moss, theres no comparison in my book. Randy was a football player and a smart one at that. In terms on the field, well i still don't see it. Randy was an explosive, versatile athlete who could take a bubble screen 60 yards for 6 or just run by the entire secondary for a TD. I would not compare him to Moss.

If I had to compare him to anyone it would be Josh Gordon, Mike Williams, Roy Williams Jr.

Bottom line I couldn't take him unless I spent some time with him and listen to the people around me.

Definitely a 1-2 round talent. If he runs sub 4.5 he goes top 35-40 picks.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back