PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Dungy whining about Jests No Huddle (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-ShirtDynasty

Reaction score
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061002/SPORTS03/610020364/1100

No huddle a problem

Was there ever an offensive huddle at the Meadowlands on Sunday? Each defense was kept on its toes as Peyton Manning and Pennington ran no-huddle offensive attacks.

Pennington ran his at a quicker pace, and made it hard for the Colts to substitute. On one occasion, cornerback Kelvin Hayden seemed to feign an injury to stop the clock and the Jets. He limped off for one play, then returned. After the game, Dungy clearly was irritated by how the Jets were allowed to run their no-huddle.

"We've got some bad rules that either I don't understand or. . . ,'' he said without finishing his thought. "We've been running the no-huddle for a long time and we've been informed of the rules. I guess I've done a bad job of understanding what they are. We'll leave it at that.''
Now, refresh my memory... I coulda sworn that according to Dolts fans, only the slimy Patriots fake injuries to stop the clock, right? I have a feeling we won't be hearing the hue and cry from Indy like we did over Willie McG's injury timeout.

Didn't get to see much of the game, anybody know why Dungy would claim the Jesters weren't following the rules on their no huddle? What is he confused about, any guesses?

Re: OT: Dungy whining about Jests No Huddle

From Bob Kravitz's report card.

COACHING: C
After the game, the normally imperturbable Tony Dungy was very upset about the defensive substitution problems that forced his team to blow all their timeouts. Frankly, I would be upset at how ill-prepared the Colts looked to handle the Jets' no-huddle, which they've been running the first three games of the season. It was like they were getting a taste of their own medicine. On the other hand, Dungy didn't go for it on fourth-and-goal at the 2-yard line, which made him the smartest guy at the Meadowlands. Seriously, was Eric Mangini channeling his inner Charlie Weis?
Don't worry, the local media isn't letting him get away with this.

"We've got some bad rules that either I don't understand or. . . ,'' he said without finishing his thought. "We've been running the no-huddle for a long time and we've been informed of the rules. I guess I've done a bad job of understanding what they are. We'll leave it at that.''

Translation: "As soon as we figure out just what we object to we'll be getting the rule changed in the off-season"

Last edited:

The item in question was that the refs have stopped the clock for injuries, but did not when Hayden was hurt. Hayden made a "rookie" mistake. He tried to get off the field, he was limping and not able to make it. The coaching staff yelled at him to just go down to the ground, but by that time the Colts had to burn a time out, I think it was their last one. I think Dungy's remarks refer to the fact that sometime the refs will stop the clock when a player is hurt and sometimes don't. I don't think that Hayden was faking an injury, I think he was cramping. And as everyone here on this board knows, after a time out any player can come back from an injury. The reason I say I don't think he was faking an injury is that the entire Colts secondary was already out for the game, one more injury and Gramatika was going to have to line up in the nickle. I think Tony was mad about the gray area for official injury time outs AND the fact Hayden force them to burn one by trying to get off the field.

workhorse said:
The item in question was that the refs have stopped the clock for injuries, but did not when Hayden was hurt. Hayden made a "rookie" mistake. He tried to get off the field, he was limping and not able to make it. The coaching staff yelled at him to just go down to the ground, but by that time the Colts had to burn a time out, I think it was their last one. I think Dungy's remarks refer to the fact that sometime the refs will stop the clock when a player is hurt and sometimes don't. I don't think that Hayden was faking an injury, I think he was cramping. And as everyone here on this board knows, after a time out any player can come back from an injury. The reason I say I don't think he was faking an injury is that the entire Colts secondary was already out for the game, one more injury and Gramatika was going to have to line up in the nickle. I think Tony was mad about the gray area for official injury time outs AND the fact Hayden force them to burn one by trying to get off the field.

boo - hoo- hoo!

Doesn't Dungy know his place? It's Polians job whine about the rules and get them changed in the Colts favor.

"Some bad rules I don't understand"?

I see....so because he doesn't understand them they must be bad.

The whole quote is reminiscent of "I'm trying to be a good teammate here....."with a trail off that leaves no doubt as to what you are implying.

Bella*chick said:
"Some bad rules I don't understand"?

I see....so because he doesn't understand them they must be bad.

The whole quote is reminiscent of "I'm trying to be a good teammate here....."with a trail off that leaves no doubt as to what you are implying.
just imagine if they had lost the game...

workhorse said:
Ahh, thanks for the input. It's not really a gray area though, is it? I mean he's got to be down for an officials time out, and from what you say, he didn't go down. That's on him, not the Refs. No?

They were supposed to stop the clock because a guy limped back to the huddle? Seriously?

to be honest i have not seen one season when the colts havent complained about rules...somehow only their coaches and players arent aware of the rules among 32 teams..to me this is just lack of preparation ironically by the team with the most prepared QB.....suck it up and play...

"We've got some bad rules that either I don't understand or. . . ,''

Didn't he flip when they tried to run a direct snap to the rb out of the shotgun while Payton was moving along the line of scrimmage in the 04 playoff game? The rule was explained to him and he said he didn't understand it.

I love it when coaches don't know what the hell they are talking about. I have said for years, that coaches in all sports at all levels from high school on up should be forced to attend the officiating meetings when they take their refresher exams and explain each rule. It would save a whole lot of complaining and make them look a little less foolish.

BradfordPatsFan said:
Didn't he flip when they tried to run a direct snap to the rb out of the shotgun while Payton was moving along the line of scrimmage in the 04 playoff game? The rule was explained to him and he said he didn't understand it.

I love it when coaches don't know what the hell they are talking about. I have said for years, that coaches in all sports at all levels from high school on up should be forced to attend the officiating meetings when they take their refresher exams and explain each rule. It would save a whole lot of complaining and make them look a little less foolish.
not being a homer but BB has the rules down by the book ..i have noticed in his press conferences he is so sure abt what the rules are ..thats the diff...

just saw this on the colts board
http://www2.indystar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165028&page=3
"OK, Polian just explained it on the radio.

He told a story last year when we were getting opponents faking injuries. Almost 20 years ago in 1987 there was a team running no huddle, and their opponents started to drop fake injuries all over every game to substitute players. The commissioner at the time was very angry about this and sent out an edict that this was to stop and he outlined new rules to deal with this.

Well aparently 20 years later those rules are not actually 'rules', but the league has been operating as such. They will have to sort this all out.....
"
whatever that means...

it was abt time polian showed up...its the 4th game already of the season ;)

I guess I was incorrect with my thoughts about the injury timeout, though Hayden should have just gone down. He wasn't trying to go to the huddle dhamz, he was trying to run off the field. The question surrounds substitutions. If the offense subs, they have to allow the defense to sub outside of the final 2 minutes of a half. I know this issue has been raised with the Colts running the no huddle, so that's why Tony was questioning the rules

Tony questions a lot of things. Football is a mystery to him.

workhorse said:
I guess I was incorrect with my thoughts about the injury timeout, though Hayden should have just gone down. He wasn't trying to go to the huddle dhamz, he was trying to run off the field. The question surrounds substitutions. If the offense subs, they have to allow the defense to sub outside of the final 2 minutes of a half. I know this issue has been raised with the Colts running the no huddle, so that's why Tony was questioning the rules

Hey Workhorse....from our perspective, and we will begrudgingly admit it, Peyton runs the no-huddle better than anyone in the league. But its a lot easier for him, because he can just look at the defensive positioning and call a play that he thinks will work....a lot harder than it looks if you ask me. But he has made every team in the AFC (or NFL for that matter) burn a thousand timeouts because of wrong players for down/yardages over the years.

For Dungy to complain about it (and I've met Dungy, he's a standup good guy), is not going to win him any sympathy from the rest of league. It does make him sound like he's whining about a taste of his own medicine. But make no mistake about Pennington....the guy is in the NFL because he is a lot smarter than most...not because he has a rocket/rifle arm. We are all Jet haters here and again, we will begrudgingly admit that Pennington is good.

But thanks for trying to explain it.

all the rules and discussions can be summed up by 1 cliched sentence...
"it is what it is" ..just $%% play

workhorse said:
He wasn't trying to go to the huddle dhamz, he was trying to run off the field.

That isn't what the announcers said about the play. Since I didn't see what he did, I'm simply going by what they said he did.

what dungy should be trying to figure out is how he's handed the best offense in football, which with Moore and Manning around he has no say in (including apparently when to punt), is supposedly a defensive coach, and has done nothing in 4 years to improve that D.

or why the Bucs won it all the year after he left. or why Borges, one of the dumbest humans on the planet, thinks he's a better coach than BB.

These are the things he should be pondering.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061002/SPORTS03/610020364/1100
Didn't get to see much of the game, anybody know why Dungy would claim the Jesters weren't following the rules on their no huddle? What is he confused about, any guesses?

I didn't watch the game, but based on the quote that "Pennington ran his at a quicker pace, and made it hard for the Colts to substitute", the applicable rule is this:
"With the exception of the last two minutes of either half, the offensive team, while in the process of substitution or simulated substitution, is prohibited from rushing quickly to the line and snapping the ball with the obvious attempt to cause a defensive foul; i.e., too many men on the field."

Note however if the Jets were using the no-huddle and Dungy was trying to substitute when the Jets were not, then that is NOT an application of the rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes