PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Dungy whining about Jests No Huddle (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: More on the no huddle and Colts

Brownfan80 said:
The ironic thing is that the only other team I've ever seen hurrying to catch 12 men on the field consistently has been the Colts. It's part of their gameplan when the D subs (I understand that the rule states that when the O subs that the D has to have time, but not the other way around).

But the kicker is that they are preaching about the SPIRIT of the rule. A team that absolutely THRIVES on taking advantage of every single cheapo means to move the ball is worried about the SPIRIT of a rule?

I agree, the Colts utilize the hurryup to catch defenses unprepared more than anyone else, so it's a little dose of the pot calling the kettle black here. Still, I don't have a problem with Indy doing it - it's part of the game. If Indy's opponents aren't prepared for these tactics, then it's their own fault.

Murphys95 said:
I agree, the Colts utilize the hurryup to catch defenses unprepared more than anyone else, so it's a little dose of the pot calling the kettle black here. Still, I don't have a problem with Indy doing it - it's part of the game. If Indy's opponents aren't prepared for these tactics, then it's their own fault.

Oh, granted. It's in the rules, so anyone can use it.

It's just funny to me that for everytime I've commented 'Man, the Colts are so freakin' CHEAP and CHEESY' when they do that hurry-up-and-catch-them-with-12-men thing, I've never heard another player or coach say anything about what the Colts do.

Now, the Colts scream 'HOW CHEAP AND CHEESY' when someone does something simular to them. Just.. poetic.. in a way that only the Colts can seem to muster.

I understand that the key difference is what is legal or not legal by the letter of the rule, but either way it's a cheesy and cheap way to get first downs, both the legal and illegal versions.

Last edited:

Murphys95 said:

I agree it's part of the game and i have no problem with them doing it. I think the main problem people here have is not that indy does it; it's that dungy whines and complains and get's the NFL to call it differently becuase they got burned by it---even though they do the same thing (trying to catch the D) No rules were broken on sunday, and now the game is called differently-----i don't have a problem with what indy does or what the jets do, just funny how the dolts complain when someone uses "their system" to burn them!

I recorded the game to watch later after my company left, here's my "bottom line:" Dungy was outcoached.

The difference wasn't Mangini going for it on 4th and goal at the 2, it was a young, rebuilding Jets' team making silly mistakes. At the end, rookie RB Leon Washington buried his team by picking up a squib kick in the end zone, and trying to run it out - pinning the Jets deep instead of giving Penny and the offense a fighting chance from the 20 - even then, they made the Colts' D work their tails off to keep Nugent on the sideline. I feel really sad for Klecko.

Box_O_Rocks said:
I recorded the game to watch later after my company left, here's my "bottom line:" Dungy was outcoached.

The difference wasn't Mangini going for it on 4th and goal at the 2, it was a young, rebuilding Jets' team making silly mistakes. At the end, rookie RB Leon Washington buried his team by picking up a squib kick in the end zone, and trying to run it out - pinning the Jets deep instead of giving Penny and the offense a fighting chance from the 20 - even then, they made the Colts' D work their tails off to keep Nugent on the sideline. I feel really sad for Klecko.

What happened to Klecko (besides ending up on the Colts)?

Last edited:

Brownfan80 said:
What happened to Klecko?

I guess he just became the biggest player on the Colts' defense. :rocker:

hwc said:
I guess he just became the biggest player on the Colts' defense. :rocker:

lol, but no really, was he injured or something? Or just that he'll be pushed into starting? or..... maybe I'm just missing the obvious (imagine that!).

Brownfan80 said:
or..... maybe I'm just missing the obvious (imagine that!).
I'm trying to imgaine that! :p

Our impression of Polian/Peyton, (and surprisingly Dungy after Mangini's performance) has been one of leaky diapers and a shortage of talcum powder. Now we have 210% Dan claimed off waivers (it's not like he got a choice) by the changing room commandoes. :(

I'm trying to figure this one out without letting my anti-Colts bias affect me.

Did the officials screw up?

Or is Dungy complaining because he didn't know the rules and Mangini apparently did?

Has someone sorted through all this?

Its been said many times that BB is probably one of the most knowledgeable coaches about rules in the NFL. I think we miss a lot of the nuances of his game management that are directed towards knowing the rules as well. So it would'nt surprise me at all if Mangini has taken that attitude with him to the Jets....No one ever said Mangini is stupid. And after the Jets 1st 4 games of this season, I would say that Mangini is doing a good job with a team that has a lot of holes to fill on the field.

Brownfan80 said:
But the kicker is that they are preaching about the SPIRIT of the rule. A team that absolutely THRIVES on taking advantage of every single cheapo means to move the ball is worried about the SPIRIT of a rule?

Well how about the next time you're playing against Detroit or Houston you think of the SPIRIT OF THE GAME and stop passing when it's 38-6 in the 3rd quarter?

I hate the Colts for just these sorts of reasons. They are whiners, and bad sportsmen.

You mean like jumping up and down signalling for a time out during a field goal snap when you know full well that you have no time outs? Or "being injured" for one play to stop a team from running the no-huddle.

mtbykr said:
It's always hillarious to hear this kind of stuff form the dolts. Dungy didn't know the rule, got burned, complained (that's not the SPIRIT of the rule), and now the NFL will do it's best to accomidate the dolts. Keep it up guys, you still haven't won anything!

They are not accomidating they Colts. They are telling everyone to enforce the rule the same way. This helps other teams way more than it helps the Colts. The Colts are one of very few teams that run the no-huddle, now it has been clearly stated when they have to allow the defense to substitue against it.

hwc said:
How can the Colts not know the rules? The Competition Committee is Bill Polian's own little fiefdom.

And, speaking of "spirit of the rules", when are they going to start throwing flags when Manning never comes to a set position behind the center? Or, when his linemen are jerking their heads around to see his gesturing?

Because they were told by league officials that when the offense subs in the no-huddle outside of the final two minutes of a half that they must allow the defense to sub also. Then in the Jets' game the game was being called a different way than they were told by the league.

BradyisGod said:
I don't get this part:

"We were going to do it," Dungy said. "What we were going to do was put 13 on the field and as soon as they substituted, we were going to snap the ball."

How can he snap the ball when he has 13 players on the field?

They were going to do it so that the issue would be addressed since the defense was supposed to be allowed to substitue as well. By having 13 men on the field, it would be clear that they had not be given the chance to sub.

JoeSixPat said:
I'm trying to figure this one out without letting my anti-Colts bias affect me.

Did the officials screw up?

Or is Dungy complaining because he didn't know the rules and Mangini apparently did?

Has someone sorted through all this?

ok, here's what i've seen very few people mention. the actual cause for the remarks was this:

the jets were running a no-huddle offense AND substituting players each between plays. when the offense changes personell, the defense is to be given time to make a change in response.

as has been stated previously in this thread, the colts often change players and then are kept from snapping the ball to give the defense time to adjust. that's the way the rules are supposed to be inforced.

in the jets game, the refs were not allowing the colts to sub players in response to the jet changes. THAT is what the "complaining" was about.

it's not that the jets were running the no huddle too quickly, it's that they were being allowed to play under a different set of rules than the rest of the league is allowed to.

Last edited:
Re: OT: Dungy whining about Jests No Huddle

The Gr8est said:
"We've got some bad rules that either I don't understand or. . . ,'' he said without finishing his thought. "We've been running the no-huddle for a long time and we've been informed of the rules. I guess I've done a bad job of understanding what they are. We'll leave it at that.''

Translation: "As soon as we figure out just what we object to we'll be getting the rule changed in the off-season"
for $2 milion/year, you gotta know all the rules

WV-Colt said:
as has been stated previously in this thread, the colts often change players and then are kept from snapping the ball to give the defense time to adjust. that's the way the rules are supposed to be inforced.

Oh, horse-puckey. Peyton Manning would never snap the ball without taking his full allotted 25 seconds of prima-donna, arm-flapping, TV time -- unless it's a QB sneak where the camera stays on him the whole time.

wow. A LOT of whiny colts fans. You won the game. Relax. (Although maybe you can't - since you know you can't run OR stop the run. Season's over, cheaters.)

PatsWorldChamps said:
for $2 milion/year, you gotta know all the rules

The problem ia the league had told the Colts one thing and the officials were calling it differently.

workhorse said:
You mean like jumping up and down signalling for a time out during a field goal snap when you know full well that you have no time outs? Or "being injured" for one play to stop a team from running the no-huddle.

Those are tactics I've seen used by every team in the league. Hurrying up to get a cheap first down during a subsitution? I've seen only the Colts and now the Jets during recent memory. Be realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes