PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Wow, Charlie Weis is going to have to explain this one...

Kontradiction

On my retirement tour.
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
For anybody else that watched the Michigan/Notre Dame game, the second best of the year so far behind Miami/Florida State IMO, Weis and his Offensive Coordinator are going to have some explaining to do. 2:00 to go in the 4th quarter, Notre Dame up 34-31 having just gotten the ball back. The first down play is a rush off the left side of the line for 11 yards. First down. Then, inexplicably, with 2:00 remaining, the Irish decide to call three straight (and incomplete) passing plays. One of them is a 40 yard bomb down the sideline that was almost picked off. WTF is that? If Notre Dame runs it three times instead of throwing it, Michigan does not win that game and Weis' job is likely secure.

Anybody else think that Weis is going to get canned at the end of the season?

Oh and, sorry mods if you have to move this. I didn't know where else to put this considering that we don't have a College Football forum.

I was thinking the exact same thing...

Clausen's decision making was awful at times. Almost everytime he saw one deep safety - he'd throw it deep to the reciever running a 'go route' along the sideline. Really, they must've done it 10 times and they never connected. I'm all for taking a shot deep to keep the D honest, but he was doing it on the drive where all ND needed to do was move the chains and kill time. Why throw such a low percentage pass? Poor play calling/decision making lost it for Notre Dame.

On the drive where ND took the lead, all of Clausen's passes came on shorter high percentage routes - mostly because the D played 2-deep. He tried just one shot deep, but the rest was short passing and good running.

Was that bizarre or what, worst clock management ever.

I was thinking the exact same thing...
The only even remote explanation might be that even if they ran the ball, Michigan would have called their timeouts resulting in Big Blue getting the ball back with the same amount of time. BUT they wouldn't have had their timeouts affecting their play calling......
Not smart no matter how you cut it....

For anybody else that watched the Michigan/Notre Dame game, the second best of the year so far behind Miami/Florida State IMO, Weis and his Offensive Coordinator are going to have some explaining to do. 2:00 to go in the 4th quarter, Notre Dame up 34-31 having just gotten the ball back. The first down play is a rush off the left side of the line for 11 yards. First down. Then, inexplicably, with 2:00 remaining, the Irish decide to call three straight (and incomplete) passing plays. One of them is a 40 yard bomb down the sideline that was almost picked off. WTF is that? If Notre Dame runs it three times instead of throwing it, Michigan does not win that game and Weis' job is likely secure.

Oh and, sorry mods if you have to move this. I didn't know where else to put this considering that we don't have a College Football forum.

I kinda like Weis but I remember Weiss on the Pat calling a game against Miami? where he inexplicably called 3 passing plays that gave the enemy the ball with too much time. It's inherent.

Tate certainly flunked the "clutch" test.

The only even remote explanation might be that even if they ran the ball, Michigan would have called their timeouts resulting in Big Blue getting the ball back with the same amount of time. BUT they wouldn't have had their timeouts affecting their play calling......
Not smart no matter how you cut it....

Really, the playcalling was so unlike Weis, too. He was never known for stuff like that with the Pats or when he had Brady Quinn. That's why I'm guessing Clausen's decision making was to blame.

Sad too, cause beyond that Jimmy played really well.

And another thing, was it just me or did that ball go out of bounds with a second left on the clock? It probably wouldn't have mattered though, what with Clausen putting enough air under his deep passes that the ball went into the stratosphere before it came down.

It was the same situation as SB XXXIX when the Pats ran the ball three straight times to milk the clock at the end. Had Charlie gone that route, ND would be 2-0 right now.

I kinda like Weis but I remember Weiss on the Pat calling a game against Miami? where he inexplicably called 3 passing plays that gave the enemy the ball with too much time. It's inherent.

I really like Weis. I think he's a good offensive mind. That's the reason I always pull for Notre Dame other than the outside chance that they play the Gators. And I remember that game too. Looked a lot like this one, lol.

Still, they allowed Mich to get down the field. They had a chance on D and blew it. Ohio St and USC now. Go Petey!

And another thing, was it just me or did that ball go out of bounds with a second left on the clock? It probably wouldn't have mattered though, what with Clausen putting enough air under his deep passes that the ball went into the stratosphere before it came down.

Well at first it was 10 seconds left then it was 11 then it was 9 seconds left that even confused the annoucers and the ball did you out with one second left which should have been 3 seconds left

There were several of those. The thinking was, Everyone will think we are running so we will pass and take them off-guard. Well, everyone thought they would run because that is the only smart thing to do. Weiss was a good OC but often out-thought himself with weird calls and third and eight draw plays that gained 6 yards.

yeha ...that was odd..it was 3 mins + to go i think not 2...but honestly he called similar plays with the pats and they put the game away alot of times and the pats were praised for aggressive playcalling. when it works ..its gutsy..

Thats weird for the first time in history Notre dame may be overrated. That is of course sarcasm

Petey's USC team isn't overrated.

Last edited:
It angered me to no end watching us be outcoached like that. I thought, "no worries, weis will eat him after after half time adjustments." not

OT or not, thanks for posting this. I watched most of the second half. I agree with you on the play calling, but I also noted that Charlie was sitting (literally sitting, not standing on the sidelines) with the Offense while the D was on the field. Now, I know that BB loves to walk over to the Defensive sideline huddle between possessions, but his primary attention always seems to be on "the game." A long-winded way of saying that I thought they lost this game on both sides of the ball and of agreeing with you that Weis' job might be in jeopardy. i don't think the ND alums are happy tonight.

one other comment after the above.

the more that Mangini and Romeo and Charlie and (incipiently) Josh struggle on their own, the clearer it becomes that Bill Belichick was not a product of his Assistants, but rather that it is Bill Belichick who made his Assistants look great. Which brings us back to the old Parcells argument, which I won't get into here. :)

FWIW, I do think that Weis has finally managed to bring in a load of talent to that Notre Dame team. Golden Tate and Jimmy Clausen have been nothing short of pretty damn good so far this season and it seems that they finally have a capable RB in South Bend. However, the defense is still a major issue. In the end, I think it will be that side of the ball that costs ol' Charlie his job either at the end of this season or next season, and not the boneheaded calls of this afternoon. If he does lose this job, I will be nervous as Urban Meyer may decide to leave my Gators and fulfill his "dream job".

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back