PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peyton v. Tom for MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.
A rare article that gives both players their just due and not just Peyton!

Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are turning in vintage performances in a vintage year, as they have in so many other seasons. Only this time it feels unique, more unexpected, with each player that much further along in his career.

In the twilights of their careers, Brady and Manning are giving football and their followers career years. No one would be surprised if it resulted in one more postseason matchup, one more chance for these men to cement their legacy as two of the greatest quarterbacks in NFL history...

Peyton Manning, Tom Brady in another MVP battle -- Adam Schefter's 10 Spot - ESPN

article said:
And when they got close enough to see, they noticed it was quarterback Colin Kaepernick, getting in more work on what was supposed to be his day off.
Maybe I'll be eating my words about this QB switch.

Yeah, kind of an odd take by Schefter. I know he was trying to tie the current battle to years past, but the MVP is about what happens this year.

Indeed, all he really drove home is how the bar is much lower for Manning. That's most likely going to be the driving force for him winning yet again. It's odd how the legend of some players magically makes it easier for them to get lauded with praise, but for others it makes it easier to criticize them.

Indeed, all he really drove home is how the bar is much lower for Manning. That's most likely going to be the driving force for him winning yet again. It's odd how the legend of some players magically makes it easier for them to get lauded with praise, but for others it makes it easier to criticize them.

Mankins leads the pro bowl balloting at LG again this season... Then again wouldn't be the first time he was elected playing half a season. Got All Pro last time too. Perception often overshadows reality.

Its clearly an agenda based award since the AP Writers who vote have their favorites already. If the current statistics continue, I think neither QB will stand out compared against each other. With that said, Adrian Peterson at this point in my view has had the most impressive season relative to players at his position and the fact he is coming back from a late season ACL is equally or more impressive than Manning.

Truth be told, since it is a vote among a list media members, the sentiment is clearly on Manning's side given his story and Brady would have to be substantially superior statistic wise to beat him out. Should history even play into the assessment? Certainly not but I'm not naive enough to think it won't.

If Manning does win it, we'll hear the talk immediately of him being the greatest of all time with his 5th MVP and if Denver then loses in the first round, none of the media will recant.

If the Pats win it all, then we will hear immediately about Brady being the best ever.
All of it is just rhetoric. The only thing that really matters is who's holding the trophy.

Is Peyton Manning great. Without a doubt.

Peyton has long been celebrated as "THE" QB because he was a #1 pick. you would think that would work in Brady's favor, but it doesn't seem to. The media favors him for whatever reasons:
  • His PR department is just out of this world
  • People feel better about him because they vouched for him as #1 pick (aka people like to be right)
  • He was designated the savior of a franchise and lived up to it
  • He appears to be a likable guy

Why are people against Brady?
  • He's a Patriot. National bias agaisnt us. Stories with negative comments probably get better hits and the fan base really isn't interested in the truth. Sports fandom is an emotional endeavor and negative press gets better recognition
  • Boston media has this contrarian attitude that biases the national media
  • Nobody saw him coming, so they can;t feel good about predicting him. Though you think the rags to riches/never say quit attitude would be a better story
  • What % of people wouldn't love to have his life?
  • Patriot media relations has things on lockdown and Brady doesn't give the soundbites. Oddly PM has about the same accessibility and has thrown people under the bus

And all that's before we even talk stats. People will say PM is doing it all because he doesn't have Brady's running game, though few journalist consider that the running game is so effective because people are worried about Brady.

One thing I have to give props to PM is that he was off a year, had to come into a new team and imprint his system on the team and that has been a smashing success (though maybe it has affected their run game as it's PM-throwing focused)?

I think if it was stat based, Brady is the clear winner. However, this seems to be mostly an emotional decision and that plays against Brady (well unless you are a patriot fan).

Yeah, like some others here, I need some clarification on how you've concluded that Manning is the "more skilled QB."

i guess one could easily say brady has evolved into the more skilled QB, especially at this stage of their careers

during their rise, peyton was always considered the more physically gifted QB, the 'natural'....while TB has used his intangibles to craft himself into the player he is today

poor choice of words on my part

Right now I think this idea that Manning is the clear cut MVP by most in the media is rediculous and that Brady should be considered the favorite at this point in time. And he should be the favorite by a decent margin not an unpassable margin but a big one.

But the good news is there are still several weeks left and with us facing off against the 9ers and Texans and with Denver facing off against Balt and just a month of cold games I think this will sort itself out.

i guess one could easily say brady has evolved into the more skilled QB, especially at this stage of their careers

during their rise, peyton was always considered the more physically gifted QB, the 'natural'....while TB has used his intangibles to craft himself into the player he is today

Fair enough.

Is Peyton Manning great. Without a doubt.

Peyton has long been celebrated as "THE" QB because he was a #1 pick. you would think that would work in Brady's favor, but it doesn't seem to. The media favors him for whatever reasons:
  • His PR department is just out of this world
  • People feel better about him because they vouched for him as #1 pick (aka people like to be right)
  • He was designated the savior of a franchise and lived up to it
  • He appears to be a likable guy

Why are people against Brady?
  • He's a Patriot. National bias agaisnt us. Stories with negative comments probably get better hits and the fan base really isn't interested in the truth. Sports fandom is an emotional endeavor and negative press gets better recognition
    [*]Boston media has this contrarian attitude that biases the national media
  • Nobody saw him coming, so they can;t feel good about predicting him. Though you think the rags to riches/never say quit attitude would be a better story
  • What % of people wouldn't love to have his life?
  • Patriot media relations has things on lockdown and Brady doesn't give the soundbites. Oddly PM has about the same accessibility and has thrown people under the bus

And all that's before we even talk stats. People will say PM is doing it all because he doesn't have Brady's running game, though few journalist consider that the running game is so effective because people are worried about Brady.

One thing I have to give props to PM is that he was off a year, had to come into a new team and imprint his system on the team and that has been a smashing success (though maybe it has affected their run game as it's PM-throwing focused)?

I think if it was stat based, Brady is the clear winner. However, this seems to be mostly an emotional decision and that plays against Brady (well unless you are a patriot fan).

Nailed it. And the bolded part has long been a part of the equation. The elitist NE media would die before being perceived as biased "suckers" so the play the role of contrarian critics to prove how smaht they are...and the national idiots follow the leader. Media are a flock of lemmings if ever there was one. That's why there are almost as many undeserving members of the HOF as there are deserving players who remain on the outside looking in.

Bledsoe and Zolak have jumped aboard the Manning bandwagon.

Thanks for that clarification.

You could certainly say that Peyton had the reputation as the natural-born gunslinger, whereas for the first few years you can reasonably say that Tom was focused to a larger extent on playing mistake-free football.

Over the past 6 years or so we have seen Tom rapidly evolve into something that had not existed before, though, the mistake-free gunslinger.

Thanks for that clarification.

You could certainly say that Peyton had the reputation as the natural-born gunslinger, whereas for the first few years you can reasonably say that Tom was focused to a larger extent on playing mistake-free football.

Over the past 6 years or so we have seen Tom rapidly evolve into something that had not existed before, though, the mistake-free gunslinger.

Well, we all remember the 2010 streak and how it all crashed in the playoffs ...

That said, yeah; nights like Brees had last night, or Matt Ryan with his big-INT games, or Eli's slump or the sudden irrelevance of Phillip Rivers — these all show how remarkably difficult it is to sustain excellence in the NFL, either as a team or an individual. The run that Brady and this team are on — and I mean over that ast 11 years — is truly remarkable.

Bledsoe and Zolak have jumped aboard the Manning bandwagon.

Drew likely identifies more closely with the Manning model (former #1 kicked to the curb only to disprove his critics), even though he couldn't personally pull it off, and Zolak's only claim to fame was once being that guys wingman... :bricks:

Drew likely identifies more closely with the Manning model (former #1 kicked to the curb only to disprove his critics), even though he couldn't personally pull it off, and Zolak's only claim to fame was once being that guys wingman... :bricks:

Drew is buying into the Manning:Warner comparison, where Manning is doing it with a second team. Zolak's buying into that, and he's crediting Manning with making Denver fans forget about Tebow. I think both lines of reasoning are ridiculously flawed, but I don't think we really need to look to the personal in either instance.

Last edited by a moderator:
The quarterback with the higher seed should get it. IF/when brady beats the 49ers and Texans, everyone will have no choice but to pick brady.

Those two prime time games will determine if brady wins the mvp.

Drew is buying into the Manning:Warner comparison, where Manning is doing it with a second team. Zolak's buying into that, and he's crediting Manning with making Denver fans forget about Tebow. I think both lines of reasoning are ridiculously flawed, but I don't think we really need to look to the personal in either instance.

Thread going off the rails in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

Last edited by a moderator:
The quarterback with the higher seed should get it. IF/when brady beats the 49ers and Texans, everyone will have no choice but to pick brady.

Those two prime time games will determine if brady wins the mvp.

It's annoying that Peyton doesn't have to prove himself by playing the 2 best teams in the NFL, but I guess you can only play who is on your schedule and if Brady wins he will have earned it.

You guys are wasting your energy. When the Pats beat the Texans and the 9ers (one of which they will beat convincingly) Brady's MVP hype will pick up steam and he'll win. Right now it's all about how Manning is a miracle for recovering, blah blah blah. And he is due credit for that because he is doing really well.

I do respect Peyton Manning and I'm almost a fan of his at this point - in some sort of way my hatred of the Colts morphed into respect and now as he's on his last few years in the league I am going to miss the nemesis Peyton was for us.

But still by the end of this season Tom will win out because he's going to have two big wins, a bye and a much better TD/INT ratio under his belt.

All these regular season awards are nice, but it's time for brady to win another Superbowl mvp.

Last edited:
All these regular season awards are nice, but it's time for brady to win another Superbowl mvp.

Why do people on here always say this? He can win both!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye