PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pittsburgh Steelers may have interest in Matt Light

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ian Rappaport reports that he was told that the Pats and Light are close to a deal.

BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Rap Sheet

Personally I will be disappointed if they sign Light, Solder will only be signed for 4 years and if one of them is a red shirt season then already they have lost 25% of a first round pick.

I guess you can never be too deep at any one position but there were some very defensive players within reach (Kerrigan, Fairley, Kerrigan), I guess I would rather have a potential impact player at a position of need rather than a reserve.

But what the heck do I know, go Pats!

Personally I will be disappointed if they sign Light, Solder will only be signed for 4 years and if one of them is a red shirt season then already they have lost 25% of a first round pick.

I guess you can never be too deep at any one position but there were some very defensive players within reach (Kerrigan, Fairley, Kerrigan), I guess I would rather have a potential impact player at a position of need rather than a reserve.

Solder needs a few months of learning, and probably a year of physical development.

I'd hate to see one rookie mistake do in TB.

I agree with better-than-the.... Also if Solder performs, he'll get plenty of playing time. I presume we got Light at a discounted to fair contract, so I think its okay. Plus if Solder really does shine, Light can be moved to another spot on the OLine.

Last edited:
Even if they are, the Steelers are in a worse cap situation than the Pats. Not sure where they'd get he money to outbid us.

cap? Any good GM can massage any cap. Cut this guy, renegotiate this other guy- voila an extra $5 million.

I think that re-signing Light is a godd idea. It allows the rookie to settle in and learn from the guywho "has been there". With Kaczur gone, Vollmer is the only other guy who has seen significant playing time at tackle. I would not want to go into the season with just Vollmer, Solder, and Levior as the tackles. Guys get hurt, and bringing in Matt Light or Nate Solder, is muchbetter than someone else.

I think that re-signing Light is a godd idea. It allows the rookie to settle in and learn from the guywho "has been there". With Kaczur gone, Vollmer is the only other guy who has seen significant playing time at tackle. I would not want to go into the season with just Vollmer, Solder, and Levior as the tackles. Guys get hurt, and bringing in Matt Light or Nate Solder, is muchbetter than someone else.

This. As much as I like Solder, I'd only want to see him playing as an emergency, or in pre-season. He's still got some rough edges, and those need polishing. He'll be a great lineman for us, but in time.

Last edited:
This. As much as I like Solder, I'd only want to see him playing as an emergency, or in pre-season. He's still got some rough edges, and those need polishing. He'll be a great lineman for us, but in time.

If that is the case then he should have been drafted a LOT lower. He was the 2nd OT (many thought he was the best)taken with the 17th pick in the draft. Historically THOSE g;uys are expected to start.

Then there is the question of WHY Light would sign here for a one year deal because he KNOWS that at best (for him) he'll only start for a year. So one has to ask, why would sign with the pats for one year, or multiple years knowing he'd spend most of them as a back up, PLUS take a home town discount, when he can go to a lot of teams. Sign a multiyear deal, Start for multiple years, PLUS make more money,

I gave 2 reasons in my idle thoughts post (pnly wanting to play one year, and transitioning to G to end his career) Both are unlikely ut they are all I can think of.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Light signed to a 2-year deal as insurance. That gives Solder time to develop and learn all the tricks and the skinny on opposing players that Light would know. It also helps in case someone does get hurt.

I'd rather have him signed for 2 years and release him after one if needs be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes