PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Predict a round 1 surprise on draft day contest

The Cowboys trade back into the first round and grab Johnny Football! LOL let the Romo watch begin!

Fuller is on the rise I expect him to go in the top twenty he might even overtake Dennard.

You're right, I fear. For once, I have a couple of guys I really like (Fiedorowicz, Fuller) and they end up shooting up the boards ... Now I'm reduced to praying that Fuller doesn't end up a Jester!

The Manziel predictions are hilarious -- all over the target. I guess the lesson is that, where Manziel is concerned, nothing would be really surprising.

You're right, I fear. For once, I have a couple of guys I really like (Fiedorowicz, Fuller) and they end up shooting up the boards ... Now I'm reduced to praying that Fuller doesn't end up a Jester!
49ers and Jets seem like really good fits for Fuller.

There's a new regime in Jacksonville and this one seems at least half-competent. A trade out or Mack/Watkins seems almost like a given for them, unless they really like one of the QBs but I doubt it.
i will believe that they are not stupid when they do something not stupid

49ers and Jets seem like really good fits for Fuller.

I think he's perfect for the Steelers. I suspect the Bears are his ceiling and the Bengals or Chargers are his floor.

For those of you who disagree with my post about this tight end class please show me a tight end class in the last decade that had a top 10 with more potential than this one?
  1. Eric Ebron
  2. Jace Amaro
  3. Austin Seferian-Jenkins
  4. Troy Niklas
  5. C.J. Fiedorowicz
  6. Colt Lyerla
  7. Arthur Lynch
  8. Jake Murphy
  9. Joe Don Duncan
  10. Crockett Gillmore
I predict that the first TE the Patriots pick is not from this list....HA. Naw, but it would be funny if that was the case. The Patriots have a way of finding obscure JAG players and talking themselves into thinking they will be stars (Tavon Wilson for instance); I hope that this is not the case with the TE pick(s).

Great idea for a thread. Of course, where the Patriots are concerned, it's hard to say what's "surprising" -- BB is so predictably contrarian.

So I'll say that it would be a HUGE surprise if the Patriots take the player Mel Kiper predicts they will (currently Rashede Hageman).
Ha, good one. Have the Patriots ever taken one of his predictions first?

Rex Ryan's D depends on cover corners so I would not be surprised if they take a CB

Fuller is on the rise I expect him to go in the top twenty he might even overtake Dennard.

If that were the case, I would love to move up and grab Dennard. I think he's instantly a shutdown CB from watching a lot of Big Ten last year. I love the physicality...that's exactly what we need more of on defense. He sticks to guys like glue, and loves to hit/tackle.

Of course, we don't currently have a need for CB, but if some are lobbying for Fuller, then I can lobby for Dennard ;)

The Patriots stay put at 29 and draft a pass rusher: Dee Ford, Auburn.

Eww...I'm not too crazy about that pick at all, especially in the first round. I think he's a bit of an odd fit, size and talent wise.

If he's going to project to be an OLB here, I'd much rather have a guy like Shazier filling that role.

Lots of people like him though, so you could be right. I just don't see him as the typical "safer" kind of pick that BB prefers in the first round.

There are several mocks and prospect rankings out there but we all know at least a few curve balls will be thrown even in round 1. How about you name 1 that you think could happen?

The person who correctly names the biggest surprise wins and gets a lifetime supply of likes from me! :D

My surprise prediction. The Patriots select a QB @ 29. Probably Bridgewater.

Also only 1 pick per person and you can't have the same exact pick as someone else.

Tedy Bridgewater slides all the way to round 3.

Last edited:
Eww...I'm not too crazy about that pick at all, especially in the first round. I think he's a bit of an odd fit, size and talent wise.

If he's going to project to be an OLB here, I'd much rather have a guy like Shazier filling that role.

Lots of people like him though, so you could be right. I just don't see him as the typical "safer" kind of pick that BB prefers in the first round.
I understand. I just think Shazier will be gone by then. I like him too. I feel Ford can get it done at the NFL level. He looks to have a great motor, good pash rush moves and good strength and quickness.

Gronkowski, Graham, and Hernandez came out of that class that is three players; one of them is out of the NFL and looking at a life sentence. Two players does not make a draft class, I am not disputing the greatness of those player that is without question but given this class has five tight ends likely to go in the top one hundred picks at the end of the day the quantity win out verse the quality of the 2011 class.
Your speaking of the class of 2010, which had 5 players picked in the top 100, and Hernandez and Pitta were taken at 113-114 respectively. I must disagree that class was just "3 players". 4 of those players have been pro-bowlers. 10 of the 20 TE selected overall are still in the league 4 years later (it would've been 11).

I would be quite surprised if this class eclipses the production of the 2010 class. I don't see it. I don't think there's 3 superstars in this class (AH was on the brink). I don't even see 1, but I'll also admit I didn't see it before 2010 as well. Greshem has turned out to be worth every bit of his #21 and is a star just below the top 3's level while Pitta, hampered with injuries is a step below him. ****son, Moeki(injuries), Harbor, Hoo-man, Quarless and Dray have all logged significant game time and production.

This class has talent, but really alot depends on who's throwing them the ball as well. If Ebron winds up with EJ Manuel or Geno Smith throwing him the ball, well, that's a far cry from Brady, Brees or even Andy Dalton. If we were to pick ASJ or Amaro our opinion of them would wind up being alot different down the road if they landed in say, Tampa or Tennessee.

I look at that 2010 class and consider it as a once in every 2 decade type. Time will tell, but history is working against this class as joining that stud filled 2010 collection. The top 7 taken have all eclipsed 1000 yards receiving in the past 4 years. I just don't think we'll be seeing that with this group at the end of 2017.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I was close. Got the player wrong (he went earlier than I thought).

I think he's perfect for the Steelers. I suspect the Bears are his ceiling and the Bengals or Chargers are his floor.

He hit the ceiling. That's OK -- he's not a Jest.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back