PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Prediction - Josh Boyce will emerge in the second half of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady6

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I might be crazy because Boyce looked lost early on but I have a feeling this guy is going to emerge as a play maker in the second half. He is staying positive and saying the right things. Boyce did get a late start due to his foot injury but with Collie gone and Thompkins on a down swing I see this as an opportunity for Boyce to stake claim to the 4th receiver spot and maybe even rise to the 3rd receiver if he can develop over the next 7 games.

Boyce not feeling buried on depth chart | Comcast SportsNet - CSNNE.com

He may get a few chances with Collie being done, but he's going to have to work a lot on his route running.

He's had 56 snaps so far this season, has been targeted 6 six times and had one catch. If those numbers are doubled I'd be surprised. Feels like he's getting a redshirt year.

And I'm a fan. I'm disappointed he hasn't been used in the Washington role this season. Kinda think that even if he's not a great route runner, he could have been used as a KR, on trick plays like reverses and even used out of the backfield on occasion. Hopefully we'll get what we were expecting next year.

He's had 56 snaps so far this season, has been targeted 6 six times and had one catch. If those numbers are doubled I'd be surprised. Feels like he's getting a redshirt year.

And I'm a fan. I'm disappointed he hasn't been used in the Washington role this season. Kinda think that even if he's not a great route runner, he could have been used as a KR, on trick plays like reverses and even used out of the backfield on occasion. Hopefully we'll get what we were expecting next year.

Vereen was basically unseen for much his rookie season and then started seeing some opportunity in the second half, he doesn’t have to redshirt all year he could be making progress behind the scenes.

Nate Ebner's behind the scenes emergence as the next Ed Reed is about as likely

Nate Ebner's behind the scenes emergence as the next Ed Reed is about as likely

Pissah stop selling the team short Nate Ebner is the next Ronnie Lott.

On a serious note I'm not saying Boyce is going to dominate I am predicting that he gets on field and makes a handful of plays in the second half.

Anything is possible, you may end up being right. BUT...I think we'd have to see some significant injuries in order for that to occur, especially since WR has been used as a red-shirting season in the Belichick era with the complexity of the scheme and position here.

Our current receiving options: (in no concrete order, just roundabout)

1. Amendola

2. Gronkowski

3. Dobson

4. Edelman

5. Vereen/other RB

6. Thompkins

7. Hooman

That gives us SEVEN viable targets, many who don't see more than a couple/few targets in any given game already; especially as the colder weather hits and we utilize the running game/effectiveness of Gronkowski's blocking skills down the stretch. There just isn't any reason to believe that Boyce is anywhere in the mix this season.

I'm disappointed he hasn't been used in the Washington role this season. Kinda think that even if he's not a great route runner, he could have been used as a KR, on trick plays like reverses and even used out of the backfield on occasion. Hopefully we'll get what we were expecting next year.

I think it makes sense on paper, but the reality is that he's nothing more than a terribly green rookie who has been behind the other rookies (Dobson, Thompkins, Sudfeld) since day one of OTA's/training camp.

You cannot have an active player on gameday who is not running the proper routes, lining up out of position, and generally wasting space/time for an already precious 46 players every week.

As you said, hopefully he can step up and be fully in the mix for next year (we'll likely have a hint when we see them in the draft/free agency, along with possibly retaining Edelman, and/or going after Emannual Sanders, etc). Then it's quite possible that we can see him in the kick returning role, with a WR3 or WR4 labeling.

I think it makes sense on paper, but the reality is that he's nothing more than a terribly green rookie who has been behind the other rookies (Dobson, Thompkins, Sudfeld) since day one of OTA's/training camp.

You cannot have an active player on gameday who is not running the proper routes, lining up out of position, and generally wasting space/time for an already precious 46 players every week.

Here is the thing Boyce was behind in large part because he missed all of OTA's and much of training camp because he was recovering from a foot injury. The best way to fix what he was doing wrong is repetition which maybe he has been getting behind the scenes and during the bye week.

Here is the thing Boyce was behind in large part because he missed all of OTA's and much of training camp because he was recovering from a foot injury. The best way to fix what he was doing wrong is repetition which maybe he has been getting behind the scenes and during the bye week.

That's certainly a fair point that practice makes perfect, and increased reps allow for a player to overcome some of their weaknesses, but it could also be said of any given player.

For example, would you rather see T.Wilson try to overcome his weaknesses from being behind the others on the depth chart by throwing him out there? I think there's a reason why people are where they are on the depth chart, and that's because those in front of them are currently in a better position to take advantage of their roles and show better production.

No one knows for sure though, so we'll have to see how it plays out. It's always a possibility.

This reeks of the kind of prediction people make that are very unlikely to happen, BUT, if it does happen you pat yourself on the back about it forever.

There is nothing to suggest Boyce will break out the second half and I hope he doesn't because that means other players either got hurt or severely regressed.

That's certainly a fair point that practice makes perfect, and increased reps allow for a player to overcome some of their weaknesses, but it could also be said of any given player.

For example, would you rather see T.Wilson try to overcome his weaknesses from being behind the others on the depth chart by throwing him out there? I think there's a reason why people are where they are on the depth chart, and that's because those in front of them are currently in a better position to take advantage of their roles and show better production.

No one knows for sure though, so we'll have to see how it plays out. It's always a possibility.

I have this observation which I am unsure if it is flawed of has validity behind it – my observation is that wide receivers, cornerbacks and even running-backs have a very hard time developing if they do not receive consistent reps. I noticed in the preseason Boyce improved week over week:

Game 1: 0 receptions
Game 2: 3 receptions, 9 receiving yards
Game 3: 2 receptions, 18 receiving yards
Game 4: 2 receptions, 44 receiving yards, 1 receiving touchdown, 2 rushes, 21 rushing yards

Not drastic improvements but still gradual week-over-week improvements. If you look at Dobson in week 2 compared to Dobson in his last game you can see that his playing starter snaps has made a tremendous difference. If you draft a player you consider to be a potential starter I worry that in order to gauge the player (at these specific positions) they have to receive the opportunity to play consistently otherwise they will fail by default.

This reeks of the kind of prediction people make that are very unlikely to happen, BUT, if it does happen you pat yourself on the back about it forever.

There is nothing to suggest Boyce will break out the second half and I hope he doesn't because that means other players either got hurt or severely regressed.

I disagree with that, if you reflect historically on how Belichick uses rookie offensive players over the past few years:

Gronkowski had 2 times as many receptions, yards and touchdowns in weeks 9-16 than in weeks 1-8.

Ridley had nearly 2x the carries in weeks 9-16.
Vereen’s had all his carries in weeks 9-16.

Add to that Collie being gone and Thompkins being in the dog house or appearing to be they will need to use that 4th receiver. Honestly though don’t misperceive what I have written I am not saying that Boyce will be a stud in the second half I said he will emerge and make some type of contribution, that in my eyes is being active on gameday and having 1-2 catches for 20-25 receiving yards per contest. I am not expecting him to become Victor Cruz in the next 7 games.

I'm looking to next year with Boyce. Edelman is a FA, I could see a WR group of Dobson, Amendola, KT, Boyce, Harrison. No pressure on Harrison to produce being the 5th guy, having these 5 in house would allow us to draft TE and interior OL and DL.

I don't think he'll pass even KT at this point in the season, so fourth is unrealistic and 3rd would be impossible without a rash of injuries.

Given how the year has unfolded, and the struggles early on, the last thing Brady and the offense needs is a very green rookie out there. They are finally getting some depth with the return of Gronk and Amendola and the emergence of Dobson.

I don't think he'll pass even KT at this point in the season, so fourth is unrealistic and 3rd would be impossible without a rash of injuries.

Given how the year has unfolded, and the struggles early on, the last thing Brady and the offense needs is a very green rookie out there. They are finally getting some depth with the return of Gronk and Amendola and the emergence of Dobson.

I get what you're saying and it's absolutely valid I guess I am just curious how far into the dog house Thompkins. If he is Pat Chung status right now Boyce may receive the opportunity.

Fourth wide receiver is one of the things I'm most excited to see. I agree the depth is a great thing it actually helps a guy like Boyce because he is surrounded by players that know what they're vs. early in the season when he was out there with 2-3 rookie, Edelman and a JAG tight end. I'm hopeful but your opinion is probably the more likely scenario.

I get what you're saying and it's absolutely valid I guess I am just curious how far into the dog house Thompkins. If he is Pat Chung status right now Boyce may receive the opportunity.

Fourth wide receiver is one of the things I'm most excited to see. I agree the depth is a great thing it actually helps a guy like Boyce because he is surrounded by players that know what they're vs. early in the season when he was out there with 2-3 rookie, Edelman and a JAG tight end. I'm hopeful but your opinion is probably the more likely scenario.

You have to remember too that it's unlikely that he is even practicing with the first team offense. So, despite being surrounded by starters, there is nothing to indicate that he is getting reps with the first team in practice.

You have to remember too that it's unlikely that he is even practicing with the first team offense. So, despite being surrounded by starters, there is nothing to indicate that he is getting reps with the first team in practice.

I get it and I agree; my perspective is that Thompkins is likely a better more complete wide receiver at this juncture in their careers so when the team was without Gronkowski and Amendola it was best to have a receiver like Thompkins on the field. With them back now my thinking is you put someone like Boyce out there 10-12 snaps a game and he can offer some big play potential and his presence isn’t going to be as detrimental because you have a Gronk or Amendola on the field that you can rely on to create some type of space if you need a first down or something.

Like I said I am probably being overly hopeful, the idea of having 4.3 speed on the field with the focus being on Gronk, Amendola and Dobson is compelling to me and something I would watch with great intrigue. I also have to be upfront and admit I am not particularly high on Thompkins as a player, I never have been with the exception of right after the Saints game – I thought that catch was something he could build off of.

I think that there is a better chance Boyce will emerge from the closet. If we assume say 5% of the population is gay there's one chance in 20 he comes out of the closet.

I agree with the first five targets. The question pf this thread is who will be the next target, and specifically how much playing time will Boyce get.

To put it another way, how often should I want to pull any of these five, noting that we there may be a rotation of the one running back.
=================
OPTIONS

1) Pull one of the WR's for Hooman, giving us a w TE set.

2) Pull Vereen for a 4th WR.

3) Pulling Gronk for a 4th WR.

4) Pulling Edelman for a replacement 3rd WR.

Personally, I don't like any of the last three options.
================

With Amendola healthy, I don't see us having five active wide receivers. As Reiss does, I project that Boyce will likely be inactive. The real question is who we want as the #4 WR on Game Day: Thompkins or Boyce. With Amendola healthy and hopefully with Vereen added, there shouldn't be many reps at all for the #4 WR. However, my preference is Thompkins, who has shown the ability to run simple routes and who can block.

If Boyce is active, absent injuries, I wouldn't expect him to be in for as many as 10 reps.

Anything is possible, you may end up being right. BUT...I think we'd have to see some significant injuries in order for that to occur, especially since WR has been used as a red-shirting season in the Belichick era with the complexity of the scheme and position here.

Our current receiving options: (in no concrete order, just roundabout)

1. Amendola

2. Gronkowski

3. Dobson

4. Edelman

5. Vereen/other RB

6. Thompkins

7. Hooman

That gives us SEVEN viable targets, many who don't see more than a couple/few targets in any given game already; especially as the colder weather hits and we utilize the running game/effectiveness of Gronkowski's blocking skills down the stretch. There just isn't any reason to believe that Boyce is anywhere in the mix this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots