PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reasonable Draft Day Trade Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who would take the Lions second round pick this year and next years first for Cassel. You wouldn't be paying top five money for an unproven commodity and with any luck matt could play us into a mid first round pick to go with our 32nd overall next year.:D

Definitely a possibility. The Pats love banking picks for next year, and most other teams tend to mortgage the future for the present, so that's always an option. Same thing with KC and #34 and next year's 1st.

In another thread I listed 5 possible trade options for Cassel that I can see at this time (your scenario is a variation of #4):

1. "The big cahuna": Trade Cassel and #23 to KC for #3 and #34.
2. "The straight up": Trade Cassel to SF for #10, or to Washington for #13. Unlikely, but Washington has been mentioned as a potential partner, and they spend big if they want something. SF would be logical, but from what they're saying right now they won't be players.
3. "The conditional": Trade Cassel to TB or Detroit for #19 or #20 plus a 2010 conditional pick (minimal 3rd round, conditional to 2nd on performance and 1st on extremely good results such as playoffs for Detroit or SB for TB).
4. "The future": Trade Cassel to Detroit or KC for #33 or #34 plus a 2010 conditional (minimal 2nd round, 1st if certain performance measurables are met). Probably the most likely scenario, since teams are willing to mortgage their future for the present.
5. "The mega trade": Trade Cassel to Carolina for Julius Peppers, with some minor compensation on either side to make it work out.

With Chicago and Minnesota likely out of the running, these are the main options I can see at this time. Unless the Jets want to give us their 1st round pick in each of the next 10 years. Otherwise we sign Cassel and keep him.

Everything you say is true.

However, what if McDaniels feels Cassel is much better suited to running his offense? Cutler has a great arm, and is a great leader, but Cassel appears to read the defense better and is much more accurate, plus has four years in the system already. Let's say a team with a top 10 pick in need of a QB will trade that pick plus a defender for Cutler with three years remaining on a manageable contract, allowing the Broncos to draft Raji, and the Broncos offer a #3 pick this year, and a #1 next, for Cassel.

Denver just got a great piece to rebuild their defense, and a QB that knows exactly what offense McDaniels wants to install at the cost of a promising but inconsistent young QB that really doesn't fit his system and draft picks.

It's low-percentage, but it's fun to consider.

I generally try to avoid patting myself on the back, but given how many said I was out of my gourd, I can't resist:

Adam Schefter of NFL Network and Vic Lombardi of CBS4 in Denver report that the Broncos have been shopping quarterback Jay Cutler.

Per both reports, the Bucs and Broncos were trying to swing a three-way deal pursuant to which Matt Cassel would have been traded from the Pats to the Broncos, Cutler would have gone from Denver to Tampa, and the Patriots would have been compensated presumably by the Buccaneers.

According to Schefter, the Lions also approached the Broncos about a trade for Cutler.

And here's where it gets interesting. Schefter's version creates the impression that the Broncos didn't initiate the talks, and merely responded to the offers presented. Vic Lombardi's version suggests that the Broncos were and are shopping the eleventh overall pick in the 2006 draft.

"I've heard the rumors," Cutler told Vic Lombardi. "I know what they're trying to do. Even though I love Denver and I'd love to remain a Bronco, I know how this business works. If they want me to play somewhere else, so be it."

Despite Cutler's generally P.C. comments, Schefter contends that Cutler was angered by the news.

There's a consensus in league circles that Cutler has plateaued after showing some improvement early in the 2008 season. He has been criticized in some circles for having a nonchalant demeanor.

The reality is that, whenever there's a new coach, there's a chance that he'll want to pick his own quarterback. Regardless of whether the Broncos initiated the trade talks, the fact that the Broncos said anything other than "hell no" suggests that new coach Josh McDaniels wants to go in a different direction.

Go ahead and pat yourself. But the Broncos haven't moved Cutler, and all reports suggest that they have not initiated any discussions about moving him. TB and Detroit reportedly contacted them, and they turned down the offers. I don't think Cutler is going anywhere.

Cutler currently has about 3 years left around $8M/year. With all the money Denver is spending on rebuilding the defense (Ray Lewis being the latest invited player) why would they want to take on a bigger salary at QB when they already have one of the top young QBs in the league?

Of course they'll listen to offers. They would be stupid not too. But I don't see Cutler leaving Denver.

Go ahead and pat yourself. But the Broncos haven't moved Cutler, and all reports suggest that they have not initiated any discussions about moving him. TB and Detroit reportedly contacted them, and they turned down the offers. I don't think Cutler is going anywhere.

Cutler currently has about 3 years left around $8M/year. With all the money Denver is spending on rebuilding the defense (Ray Lewis being the latest invited player) why would they want to take on a bigger salary at QB when they already have one of the top young QBs in the league?

Of course they'll listen to offers. They would be stupid not too. But I don't see Cutler leaving Denver.

I don't either....now that Cassel's out of the picture. However, reading an interview with Cutler on PFT, he certainly talks like a QB with 1 foot out the door.

Dryheat, as the Cutler soap opera evolves it seems like there was more interest on Denver's part - including more willingness by McDaniels to exchange Cutler for Cassel at QB - than it first appeared.

Let me be the second to pack you on the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back