PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Scott Pioli was the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

goheels22002

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Last year's draft is looking better as Brandon Tate rounds into shape and the 2nd year guys look better than anticipated on defense. This year's draft is unfolding as a home run with the Tight Ends, Zoltan the Impaler, McCourty and the LBs/DEs.

It's way early, but it makes you wonder if Dallas Parcells' husband Scott appears more and more like the culprit in recent drafts as he screws up the Chiefs in astounding ways.

Maybe we who blasted Coach Belichick should formally apologize.

Last year's draft is looking better as Brandon Tate rounds into shape and the 2nd year guys look better than anticipated on defense. This year's draft is unfolding as a home run with the Tight Ends, Zoltan the Impaler, McCourty and the LBs/DEs.

It's way early, but it makes you wonder if Dallas Parcells' husband Scott appears more and more like the culprit in recent drafts as he screws up the Chiefs in astounding ways.

Maybe we who blasted Coach Belichick should formally apologize.

I blame Coach Gut.

Love the posterization of Paulus taking a flop off of Green's balls!

Its hard to know if Pioli was the problem when none of us know who he drafted.

And, the Chiefs are going to struggle with Todd Haley as HC. I think hell be asked to leave and Weis will step in.

I wish we could blame Ron Brace on Pioli !

I wish we could blame Ron Brace on Pioli !

yep, Chung, Brace, Butler, Vollmer, Tate, Pryor, Edelman, Ingram, Richard and an additional 2nd in this draft...................that sure was a sucky draft.

Last edited:
Floyd Reese was the solution.

Floyd Reese was the solution.

I was going to say the same thing. Reese drafted a lot of very good players in Tennesee and he is bringing that scouting expertise to New England. The guy did draft three rookie of the years in Tennessee (Eddie George, Jevon Kearse, and Vince Young) and also drafted Steve McNair, Samari Rolle, Keith Bulluck, and Albert Haynesworth.

And I also give credit to Nick Caserio. The guy having coaching experience under Belichick might give him some unique insight to what characteristics a prospect might need to flourish in this system. Few player personnel guys have such insight especially with direct coaching experience with their current head coach.

Last edited:
Before we all kill Pioli, lets remember that this years draft was absolutely stocked with talent due to mostly the unknown or known CBA. Any Junior who thought about going early pretty much did to a) get ahead of the rookie salary cap which pretty much everyone agrees is coming with the new CBA and b) avoid a lock-out situation if no CBA is reached. So the Pats entered this draft with multiple picks in a very deep draft, so it would have been hard not to have a stellar draft class.

That being said, BB has done an outstanding job not only with the players he has drafted, but the players he has passed up, and the trades down for more picks. Chung appears to have gone to the Brandon Merriweather sophmore school, and is looking like a totally different (and much better) player. Tate was a gamble that a good team with multiple picks could take. Tate would have been a first rounder if he did not get hurt, he was no diamond in the rough, the Pats could take him and stash him for a year, bcause they already had the depth and the picks to do so (whereas other temas have to trade all there picks to move up or fill a glaring need). Vollmer has been a stud since day one, and for all of us that gave the WTF when he got picked, we were wrong and BB was right. The Jury is still out on Brace.

This year's class, Spikes seems to be an absolutel stud and a steal. If I told everyone last year at this time, that the Pats would be able to grab Spikes in the second round, everyone who have said that I was nuts, this is plain and simple the league out thinking themselves and not watching the tape. Anyone who watched the SEC, could have told you that this kid is a NFL LB. The two TE are going to be very good, but I'm getting that sinking feeling about Cunningham, noboday has seen this kid, and he is really needed, to provide a pass rush. Is he hurt? Where is he? Is he staying at Crable's house???????

I think the Mesko Pick is looking like shear genius, I really didn't think he looked that good in the Senior bowl, but he has been absolutely outstanding through the first 2 pre-season games, not only has he constantly been inside the twenty, but he has punted from his own 10 at least three times that I can remember, and each time, the other team ended up with the ball between their own 25-35 yard line! Think about that, booming punts with little or no return yardage. Plus he has already made some nice holds, reigning in a few waywarrd snaps.

If Cunningham pans out, these two draft classes (plus whatever stud we get with the Seymour pick next year) will be the conerstone of this team moving forward, and it looks pretty good right now.

Every important decision that the New England Patriots make, and have made in the past 10 years, is made by one man...

I think the Mesko Pick is looking like shear genius, I really didn't think he looked that good in the Senior bowl, but he has been absolutely outstanding through the first 2 pre-season games, not only has he constantly been inside the twenty, but he has punted from his own 10 at least three times that I can remember, and each time, the other team ended up with the ball between their own 25-35 yard line!

He also had one of the most unique stat lines for a punter vs Atlanta. 4 punts for an average of 42.8 but a net of 44.5. His net was higher than his average!! That's because the only return was for a loss of 7 yards.....

Before we all kill Pioli, lets remember that this years draft was absolutely stocked with talent ...

This is what some analysts overlook when criticizing the Patriots drafts from '06-'08. There were some missed opportunities, to be sure, but they did a terrific job trading away weak picks in weak drafts and stockpiling picks for what turned out to be much better drafts in 09 and especially 10. That sort of foresight, seeing the draft as an ongoing process and not just a year-to-year thing, is rare.

And I think the analysts especially miss when they dismiss the acquisitions of Moss and Welker as not part of the draft because they weren't picks. What two players, in any draft, have had the impact of Welker and Moss, who were acquired with 07 draft assets?

This is what some analysts overlook when criticizing the Patriots drafts from '06-'08. There were some missed opportunities, to be sure, but they did a terrific job trading away weak picks in weak drafts and stockpiling picks for what turned out to be much better drafts in 09 and especially 10. That sort of foresight, seeing the draft as an ongoing process and not just a year-to-year thing, is rare.

And I think the analysts especially miss when they dismiss the acquisitions of Moss and Welker as not part of the draft because they weren't picks. What two players, in any draft, have had the impact of Welker and Moss, who were acquired with 07 draft assets?

Agreed. Folks ought to also realise that the Patriots are not just drafting for the here and now, or trading away picks just because they can. They are playing the long game, and their drafting not only reflects what they see as needs to be filled, but projected needs in years to some. They put as much analysis into college freshmen as they do into seniors and current NFL players, in order to have an idea how players are progressing, who might be available where and when, etc.

It's not just about who is available now for this current draft.

The reason BB is able to look at the draft as an ongoing process rather then a year to year process is he has more job stability then anyone in the league. A coach who is worried about being fired isnt going to trade into the next years draft on a regular basis.

Great post. The players we draft in a given year are always only part of the story of BB's drafts. There's the trades for players and the trades into future drafts that are usually the real story.

And can you imagine where we'd be if:
- the league didn't steal our 1st rounder in the '08 draft for Spygate, and
- that high second rounder wasn't wasted on Chad Jackson?

I will say that our success rate on 2nd rounders the past 2 years is markedly better than in previous years, so we're not missing Scott Pioli at all. Whether it's Reese or Cesario I don't know, but we're hitting homers with these picks. The team is totally transformed, with only 1 defensive starter remaining from the undefeated 07 team, and looking very strong on both sides of the ball.

I think everyone has gone nuts. Two pre-season games and everyone is thinks the pats have actually done something. Who the heck knows how these guys will turn out, but I don't think these two games tell us anything.

I think everyone has gone nuts. Two pre-season games and everyone is thinks the pats have actually done something. Who the heck knows how these guys will turn out, but I don't think these two games tell us anything.

It tells me they have a lot of young talent.....a lot of it unproven, but the talent is there.

Please keep your political comments, yes even jokes, off the football forum. This is not the place for it.

This has happened way too many times this week with deletions having to be made and some threads closed or moved. This is a standing policy and just makes move work for the moderators.

From now on infractions will be given for political post and or threads,if I have to handle them. Don't make me be a bad guy although I do that very well.

Last edited:
"They're has not been a player that we brought here that Bill Belichick and I did not agree on. I've known Bill since I was in college and we have a personal relationship and a high level of mutual respect. If there is a player that Bill does not like and I like, it's kind of a feel thing. You get to a certain point and whoever doesn't believe in the player or whoever believes in the player, you kind of stop pushing. Bill and I have been fortunate. If we agree on a player, we know that we have a pretty thing."

I guess that when Scott Pioli said the above that he was lying.

Scott Pioli Press Conference Quotes

Nope. It's two things.

1.) It's finally getting to see some football, and have a look at how some of the new players and rookies will perform. Everyone knows the games don't count.

2.) Relief that the rookies seem to have a basic, at least, understanding of what's going on and that they can perform at the higher speed of the NFL. No one is expecting a rookie to perform like a veteran player, and of course they are playing against more or less "vanilla" schemes. However, the fact that they seem to be grasping the playbook and showing up to play full-speed is encouraging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots