PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Scouting Report: Tony Lippett, WR

Now you're getting into some really fun prospects. Not the first tier names like Randy Gregory, but guys like Tony Lippett and Quinten Rollins. These are the kind of guys who can turn into major home runs down the road.

Good overall report. Do you think that Lippett has the mentality and drive to add the kind of toughness needed? His route running could make him an attractive candidate for the Pats, but he'll need a lot of mental toughness to succeed.

Also, what do you think of Lippett as a 2-way player? Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks had this tidbit today:

The scoop: "(Michigan State coach Mark) Dantonio is playing him at cornerback because he thinks he is legit at the position and as good as Chris Gamble, who played both ways when Dantonio was at Ohio State." - NFC East scout on WR Tony Lippett

The skinny: Dantonio was the defensive coordinator at Ohio State from 2001-2003 and saw Gamble first-hand. Lippett's receiving production skyrocketed this season; he averaged 18.7 yards per catch with 11 touchdowns. The interesting wrinkle has come late in the season as Dantonio has asked Lippett to play on both sides of the ball for the first time since Lippett's freshman season. As a cornerback, Lippett was targeted eight times for just 13 yards and three passes defensed. Scouts are excited to watch Lippett play both receiver and cornerback at the Senior Bowl practices, but they still see him as a wide receiver in the NFL.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-us-what-were-hearing-about-top-nfl-prospects

In some ways I personally like Lippett better as a potential Richard Sherman (another 6'3" converted WR who ran very precise routes) than as a WR, where I'm a bit worried about his physicality. I prefer more powerful guys like DeAndre Smelter. Not sure about Lippett's personality, and if he has the kind of moxy and drive that Sherman brings. But I found this read on Lippett particularly interesting:

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...ichigan-state-spartans-tony-lippett/16571763/

Tippett played QB in high school, which probably helped him in terms of understanding route running and timing. He switched from QB to DB to WR and now is becoming a 2 way player, so there are definitely some interesting notes there. It sounds like he's a film junkie, and has a bit of an intense edge, which could be a good thing.

Lippett is definitely one of the more intriguing late day 2/early day 3 guys in this draft. I think being able to find potential quality starters on day 3 of the draft is one of the things that can make a huge difference (look at Seattle), and guys like Lippett, Rollins and Smelter all have that kind of feel to me.

Last edited:
I too am interested in Lippett because of the two way nature of his potential but I've yet to watch him. To you and Mayo I ask this. If he lacks the physicality for WR, doesn't he lack the same to play a press corner?

If he can be had on day three, he's definitely worth bringing drafting to see where he best fits. The advantage to drafting a developmental WR is that, except for injuries, there's no great pressure to add a receiving option because there's so few available snaps considering they are behind Gronk, Edelman, Lafell, Wright and maybe Vereen. There's not that many receptions for the 6th guy in this offence.

Would love to agree Manx, but I dont think Josh have a clue how to use 2TE sets. If so, then another outside WR is more then 6th guy really, infact more like the 3-4th option. Pisses me off personly and hope we "Loose" Josh again, starting to think he "slows" Down this offense.

I too am interested in Lippett because of the two way nature of his potential but I've yet to watch him. To you and Mayo I ask this. If he lacks the physicality for WR, doesn't he lack the same to play a press corner?

If he can be had on day three, he's definitely worth bringing drafting to see where he best fits. The advantage to drafting a developmental WR is that, except for injuries, there's no great pressure to add a receiving option because there's so few available snaps considering they are behind Gronk, Edelman, Lafell, Wright and maybe Vereen. There's not that many receptions for the 6th guy in this offence.

That's a darn good question. I haven't watched enough of Lippett to tell, so the "physicality" issue was based mostly on MWPF's comments.

For me, there's a difference between physicality and bulking up. Richard Sherman is plenty physical ab 6'3" 195#, close to Lippett's current size. I'm not sure I can think of any 6'3" 190# WRs in the NFL. They are all 205-210 or heavier, and mostly 210-220#. I'm not sure why - maybe it takes a bit more bulk to fight through a jam at the LOS than to initiate one? Just guessing here.

I think that Lippett day 3 is a very interesting prospect, and right now I have him lumped in with guys like Jaquiski Tartt as someone I'd consider with our 3rd round comp pick and later.

Would love to agree Manx, but I dont think Josh have a clue how to use 2TE sets. If so, then another outside WR is more then 6th guy really, infact more like the 3-4th option. Pisses me off personly and hope we "Loose" Josh again, starting to think he "slows" Down this offense.

Josh said it wasn't true. But, his name came up in Florida coaching search. Could a certain qb recommend him to coach his alma mater?

It's a bit OT to this thread, but another Michigan St. guy who is interesting to me is RB Jeremy Langford. Like Lippett, he's bounced around at several positions, including CB and WR:

Langford came to Michigan State in 2010 along with fellow running back recruit Le’veon Bell. That year Langford redshirted and was even listed on the roster as RB/WR, meaning the coaches really didn’t know what to do with him. That same season Bell earned Big Ten All-Freshman honors from ESPN and was even added to the midseason Doak Walker Award watch list. Bell’s success led the coaching staff to try and find other ways to get Langford on the field.

During Michigan State’s spring practices in 2011 the coaches decided to try Langford at cornerback. That year he played almost exclusively on special teams and didn’t get a single carry as a running back.

Langford made another position change going into the 2012 campaign when the coaching staff put him back on offense, but as a wide receiver. The experiment didn’t last very long though as he caught just five passes for 33 yards in the first two spring scrimmages and was moved back to his original position of running back for the regular season.

With Le’veon Bell carrying the offense in 2012 Langford didn’t get many opportunities, rushing for just 23 yards on nine carries all season. Although he didn’t make much of a splash in 2012, Langford still contributed on special teams and Bell’s impending departure for the NFL meant he would have a chance to become the Spartan’s starting running back.

http://isportsweb.com/2014/06/09/jeremy-langfords-unlikely-road-stardom/

RB, WR, CB, ST. I haven't studied him, but I would assume he has good hands and receiving skills for a back. He might be a good day 3 option if Shane Vereen and Brandon Bolden aren't re-signed.

Michigan State's last game was the only game that Lippett was really going to play meaningful snaps at CB and I have not seen that game.
I want to see his reaction movements to see if he is as smooth on the defensive side before I would get serious about him in that role, but I have to think that is a big plus for BB to have that type of versatility that he could develop and use if needed.
Again, at 190 pounds, his body has to mature and he has to get stronger. A guy like Browner would not let this kid even get off the LOS right now. I think it will come with time. He sounds like a hard worker and he made huge strides already from last year to this one.

Michigan State's last game was the only game that Lippett was really going to play meaningful snaps at CB and I have not seen that game.
I want to see his reaction movements to see if he is as smooth on the defensive side before I would get serious about him in that role, but I have to think that is a big plus for BB to have that type of versatility that he could develop and use if needed.
Again, at 190 pounds, his body has to mature and he has to get stronger. A guy like Browner would not let this kid even get off the LOS right now. I think it will come with time. He sounds like a hard worker and he made huge strides already from last year to this one.

There aren't that many 6'3" CBs with good movement skills, and they are very valuable. I posted above how the development of Tharold Simon has helped put the bang back in the Legion of Boom. I'd be very intrigued by the idea of converting this guy to CB. It might take a year or two, but he could have value as a 5th WR while he developed. It's really just a hunch, but something about this kid (including his route running and work ethic) makes me think he'd be a good conversion prospect.

Probably time to put this guy in all your mocks; offense, defense and now showing up on special teams in his bowl game.

https://t.co/YvlChmVKvF @mbarrett904

Lippett is no 14 throwing the block.

Probably time to put this guy in all your mocks; offense, defense and now showing up on special teams in his bowl game.

I've been on that wagon for a while now. The only question is how high he goes. I may like him even more as a CB conversion than as a WR.

Forty times of 4.62 and 4.67 at the combine. I view him as a 6' 3" Troy Brown.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back