PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Season Ending Injuries around the league

Cowboys linebacker DeVonte Holloman suffered another neck injury and that will likely end his football career, details on nfl.com

Ouch, of all of the injuries so far, to me that one stands out with Sean Lee as having the potential to really gut a defense. Arizona will still be good, but losing Dockett and Washington will make that defense the worst in their division.
Hard to guy something that was gutless to begin with.
Not sure if Lee causing the Cowboy defense to go from putrid to horrific will be noticeable.

Not sure if it was mentioned but the Jets lost another CB to the IR. Dexter McDougle tore his ACL.
Shaq Evans was also placed on the IR by the Jets due to a shoulder injury that required surgery.

Jets place third-round pick Dexter McDougle on injured reserve | ProFootballTalk

I am slightly surprised that not one team put in a waiver claim for McDougle (a third round pick), or to a lesser extent for Evans (a fourth round pick). Tyler Gaffney, by comparison, was the final pick of the sixth round.

Questions to ask ourselves (and the NFL to ask themselves) What's the cause? Are TC injuries on the rise, or do we only hear about them now because the the 24 hour news cycle? Could field turf be the problem? Are athletes just putting too much strain on these ligaments in their desire to be bigger/stronger/faster?

These are the things I wonder about. I remember in the 90's you could always count on one big injury a season: Jamal Anderson, Dan Marino, Mark Brunell ect ect. Nowadays the league would be very lucky for only one major injury like that in a season.

30 years ago players didn't train 12 months a year, and used TC to get in shape after working an off season job.

Proponents of free weights and weight machines are very much like sheepmen and cattlemen in the old west: both feel strongly about their point of view and have inflexible attitudes toward the other side. Machines are convenient, high tech, comfortable and attractive. However, they move joints through fixed ranges of motion that can create excessive torque and unnatural stresses. Also, the exercises are artificial and do not transfer well to functional movement.

Angelo Cacchio and coworkers from the University of Rome in Italy and Illinois State University found that exercising on a machine that provided free motion similar to dumbbell and barbell exercises created greater activation of shoulder girdle muscles than a machine that forced movement in a fixed path. They concluded that unconstrained weight training is superior to fixed pathweight machines because it builds intramuscular coordination that might transfer better to functional activities.

https://mastermuscle.wordpress.com/tag/weightlifting/

I am slightly surprised that not one team put in a waiver claim for McDougle (a third round pick), or to a lesser extent for Evans (a fourth round pick). Tyler Gaffney, by comparison, was the final pick of the sixth round.

Excellent point. Bill should've placed a claim for Evans: he had the roster space, he has an obvious need for talent at the position, and it would've pissed-off Tubby Wrecks.

BJ Raji done for the season. Torn biceps

Bill should've placed a claim for Evans: he had the roster space, he has an obvious need for talent at the position, and it would've pissed-off Tubby Wrecks.

Do you really think there's "an obvious need for talent" at WR? A top-flight wideout could obviously upgrade the roster, but Shaq Evans is far from that.

I still think so; I'm not yet sold on our outside guys Dobson, Thompkins & LaFell.

He was a reach by the Jets in the draft. He was projected as an UDFA on most web big boards. He has had injury issues for his entire college career and now this injury.

I still think so; I'm not yet sold on our outside guys Dobson, Thompkins & LaFell.

Not sold on Dobson, Thompkins & LaFell but think Shaq Evans is worth picking up?

Never mind the fact that Evans is hurt and wouldn't help until next year when we'll have a better idea of what Dobson et al. can do and an entire offseason to add a more talented option (if necessary).

Evans is a better prospect at his position than Gaffney is at his, yet Bill found time to claim Gaffney.
I don't see why he couldn't have found the time to claim Evans too, especially with 3 spots open on
the TC roster.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back