PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The end of Top Gear UK

In case you didn't know, there is an American version of the show on the history channel. But it kinda sucks. The BBC "Americanized" it and made it too much about pickup trucks and American stereotypes. And there's few European supercars. Plus the American presenters are weenies.

PS - I guess the people who think British humor wouldn't fly over here are unfamiliar with the legendary status Monty Python has in the US. Or the popularity of shows like Benny Hill and the UK Top Gear.

I missed replying about your last part. While I agree, all of that is older classical stuff. Python and Hill, funniest stuff there is. It's more shall I say acceptable in that regard. Top Gear UK is huge here, but that's a small segment. What I would like to see is if those of us who support them, (if they replaced the clowns at TG USA) would be enough to drown out the fun sponges that have voices due to Twitter, facebook etc.

Wait it couldn't be TG because BBC owns the rights. Hmmm. What's a good new name?

Used to watch it with my grandson, found Clarke particularly boorish.. but overall it was ok. The whole thing about the Sting was somewhat overblown..

I really like the British drama available on Netflix.. Happy Valley, Broad Church, The Fall, Top of the Lake etc.

Cutting off one's nose to spite one's face is always a great tactical approach.
No one can replace Clarkson, they should have given him a new contract but had personal conduct language that stipulated that JC would lose X amount of money.

Posting to say that I only care enough about this to post and say I don't care.

Odd question for a football board...

Pretty much every company ever formed makes exceptions. It all depends on what they want. Hell (and why I noted the oddity of your post on a football board), the fact that there are full-on fights in football training camps isn't anything approaching a secret, yet those guys aren't getting canned over it.

The BBC most definitely aren't a football team.

Oh I am well aware of the USA "Low" Gear. I'm a car nut and I watch Top Gear BBC for the supercars. I could care less about a Camry or a 150. Weenies is an understatement. If this country was right in the head it would be an NBC show come September. Clarkson, May, Hammond and the whole gang. Manufacturers would flock to them knowing they always do them right, even if they point out shortcomings. The ratings would be through the roof, until some pathetic civil action group would jump on them.
i agree, can't take watching the american version, I'll really miss top gear.

You said he "cried about about it like a little *****".

Yes, a guy who goes to the hospital over a bloody lip is crying about it like a *****. That demonstrates the minor nature of the situation. Most children don't go to hospital over a bloody lip.

Use your head.

Used to watch it with my grandson, found Clarke particularly boorish.. but overall it was ok. The whole thing about the Sting was somewhat overblown..

I really like the British drama available on Netflix.. Happy Valley, Broad Church, The Fall, Top of the Lake etc.
Its The Sting, not the sting.

The BBC most definitely aren't a football team.

Ok, this is going to be one of those things, I see.

I'm outta here. Everyone feel free to act as if a pop to the face is always followed by a firing, while raping kids for 40 years is just acceptable as S.O.P..

I'm outta here. Everyone feel free to act as if a pop to the face is always followed by a firing, while raping kids for 40 years is just acceptable as S.O.P..

Seriously? So according to you being objective about the firing of Jeremy Clarkson means we're pro child molesting. You're just going to end up being embarrassed by that dumb straw man.

Clarkson deserved to be sacked. Gross Misconduct from the off, and the other guy didn't actually make any complaint anyway - the investigation was triggered by Clarkson telling the Beeb about it.

Clarkson is a figure that is despised by as many people as he is liked. He didn't ever bother me although I didn't like some of the things he stood for - but he is the biggest part of Top Gear and the show, even if it continues with May and the Hamster, will never be the same.

A big shame, all because someone got upset about a lack of hot food.

I know of no company in the UK that condones physical violence. Like everyone else does and all of the employers I've worked for, it's deemed as Gross Misconduct. A sackable offence from the off and a situation which he brought upon himself, both by committing the action and also by instigating the investigation. The BBC were never going to do anything else.

Which has got nothing to do with Jimmy Saville.

Humor. Reminds me I'm on a Viking River Cruise in Germany. Our hot tour hostess walking through the town points out a comedy club. I said, "Wait! They have comedy in GERMANY???" I though she was gonna kill me. She could have too, but I would have loved it, being crushed by... But I digress.

A good face crushing is necessary from time to time.

Clarkson is an ignorant bully.

And I'm being nice. He deserved this. Not like he hadnt been warned about his behaviour before. He'll land on his feet somewhere. Somewhere I won't be tuned into.

**** him.

Yes, a guy who goes to the hospital over a bloody lip is crying about it like a *****. That demonstrates the minor nature of the situation. Most children don't go to hospital over a bloody lip.

Use your head.
that didnt happen. Deus alternate reality again.

Clarkson is a racist, arrogant Tory (maybe even UKIP now) p***k and I hate pretty much everything he stands for.... but in sayin that Top Gear was good so I hope it comes back in some form.

To the people saying BBC will take a hit, they won't. They have so many other shows that people watch all the time, it will affect their Sunday night ratings obviously, but apart from that it will make no difference. They're not really comparable to any other TV channel UK/US or anywhere else.

that didnt happen. Deus alternate reality again.

The physical attack lasted around 30 seconds and saw Clarkson strike the producer, giving him a swelling, bleeding lip for which Tymon sought help at a hospital.

http://news.yahoo.com/bbc-drops-top-gear-presenter-clarkson-reports-003053983.html

He called Oisin a “lazy, Irish c***” before splitting his lip with a punch that left the 36-year-old with blood running down his face and needing treatment in A&E, the BBC investigation will be told....Oisin, who was treated at Friarage Hospital in Northallerton,

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/jeremy-clarkson-called-top-gear-5330155

So, it did happen, according to multiple reports. Now, leave me out of this thread in the future. I've put it on ignore thread. Hell, you should probably leave me out of your posts entirely, in the future. Use the ignore function. I'm tired of dealing with people like you on these issues. Your idiotic ad hominem is the sort of thing for which I should be allowed to tear you apart, but which people like you go crying to site management about when I respond appropriately.

Yes, a guy who goes to the hospital over a bloody lip is crying about it like a *****.
This is you making it about the other guy, not about Clarkson.
Total ******** argument and your leaving is a tacit admission of such. Maybe I should call you a ***** for leaving?
the other guy didn't actually make any complaint anyway - the investigation was triggered by Clarkson telling the Beeb about it
The inconvenient truth.
Deus alternate reality again.
Oh well.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing