PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Greatess of Gronk

Status
Not open for further replies.

jays52

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
After the past two weeks I am ready to call Gronk the best TE in the NFL. His contributions in the passing game are well known, but his work in the run game has been amongst the best in the league as well. What really gets my attention though is his versatility. I don't think there's been such a blend of skills at his position at such a high level.

In the passing game he presents an amazing combination of skills. Sure, he has nice deep speed and can break a cover-2. Sure, he's a big target that can win with body positioning and presents a tremendous catch radius. Sure, he's strong enough to break jams and tackles, even dragging players for a ride ala the one kid who has hit puberty in Pop Warner. What really amazes me, though is his ability to cut. He is so explosive he can run out cuts against man coverage and get open. He can separate on posts. They can run jerk routes with a TE. He has the skill set of a receiving tight end in a 6'6 270 pound frame. That doesn't happen. Teams have doubled and even tripled him. When was the last time you heard of a tight end requiring a triple in the passing game?!?!

In the blocking game he can contribute in all four areas. He has the feet and length to pass block on the outside, the strength and explosion to drive a man off the ball, the quickness and vision to pull, and the linear acceleration to crack and run wham plays. He does tackle, tight end, and fullback all at an extremely high level.

What the creates is the most versatile offensive chip in the NFL. Just by having Gronk in the game, it opens the potential of the playbook exponentially. Defensive coordinators will have a much lesser tell off of personnel sets. The probability of guessing wrong significantly appreciates. Lately the talk has been on the backs, Welker, and the new 3/5ths of the line, but the real key cog in the machine has been Gronk. He has hall of fame potential and I think that should carry significant weight when discussing both this offense and Belichick's often (mistakenly) maligned drafting practices.

He is the best TE in the league

its awesome that the pats have the best WR, TE and Qb in the entire NFL on their team.

Rob Gronkowski was a great draft pick and his versatility allows the offense to be dangerous in both the run and pass. His health is a big concern for me.

I think it's a bit odd that there is a thread here about the greatness of Gronk but that Aaron Hernandez has "room for improvement". Both are young players and Gronk has made many mistakes too. We are lucky to have two great young tight ends but let's not start losing objectivity over who may be better or worse...

I also think it's WAY too early to place Gronk anywhere among the elite tight ends until he puts a full second season under his belt. There are many great tight ends in the league right now so calling Gronk the best TE already is as ridiculous as saying Welker is the best WR.

Last edited:

its awesome that the pats have the best WR, TE and Qb in the entire NFL on their team.

I'd take Calvin Johnson over Welker, sorry.

Have you seen Welkers stats this year? Ill take Welker this year no questions asked

Gronk is so good at blocking...what a great TE him and Hernandez...god i love it

The question is .. Can we sign both of them when their time is up? I doubt it ..

Gronk is the TE Belichick has been trying for since he missed out on Kyle Brady back in 1995 in Cleveland and we all know the number he has drafted and tried for since then.

In addition to what Jay said, he seems like a great kid, is always at the community service events the Patriots have and was throwing up before the game and between offensive series against the Jets. In short, he's the perfect Patriot - talented, tough and a good, selfless kid.

I never planned to get a Patriots' jersey until the player signed his second contract (to ensure any jerseys I have are (mostly) lifetime Patriots) but Gronk may be an exception.

Last edited:
Have you seen Welkers stats this year? Ill take Welker this year no questions asked

Gronk is so good at blocking...what a great TE him and Hernandez...god i love it

Best TE duo in the league no doubt bout it.

Welker is having an amazing year I agree, but so is CJ.

of course you would, because he is shown on highlights more

lets just ignore that welker is number 1 in yards, Calvin isnt even 2nd, or 3rd, or 4th...Welker is number one in catches, Calvin falls all the way down to 8th..

but back to the point

Gronk is the best TE in the nfl

I still think Vernon Davis is the best TE in the league. The poor guy has Alex Smith throwing to him and is still a beast.

The Patriots traded for Calvin Johnson?

you can get a different outside WR who can do the things that calvin can do though to a smaller degree of significance (ala Andre Johnson)

but the drop off b/w Welker and the 2nd best slot WR in the NFL is humongus

rather have welker and 2nd best #1WR than Calvin and 2nd best slot WR...

No, they have Wes Welker who is currently the best WR in the nfl.

Wes Welker is not the best WR in the NFL.

The question is .. Can we sign both of them when their time is up? I doubt it ..

possibly, but not likely. If TFB resructures his contract to keep a valuable weapon of his; Brady restructuring to accomodate 1 of his favorite offensive weapons.... I can see both being signed

TFB is a guy who would restructure to keep his main weapons

Tag 1 extend the other. This can be done. I don't think Welker will play MERCENARY b/c he seems happy here and any other $$$ he makes is gravy b/c he has made much more than he ever thought he could make.

IDK yet, but extending those 2 TE's may be imo is a better ,move than locking up mayo long term. I will get criticized for this, but I can take it

After the past two weeks I am ready to call Gronk the best TE in the NFL. His contributions in the passing game are well known, but his work in the run game has been amongst the best in the league as well. What really gets my attention though is his versatility. I don't think there's been such a blend of skills at his position at such a high level.

In the passing game he presents an amazing combination of skills. Sure, he has nice deep speed and can break a cover-2. Sure, he's a big target that can win with body positioning and presents a tremendous catch radius. Sure, he's strong enough to break jams and tackles, even dragging players for a ride ala the one kid who has hit puberty in Pop Warner. What really amazes me, though is his ability to cut. He is so explosive he can run out cuts against man coverage and get open. He can separate on posts. They can run jerk routes with a TE. He has the skill set of a receiving tight end in a 6'6 270 pound frame. That doesn't happen. Teams have doubled and even tripled him. When was the last time you heard of a tight end requiring a triple in the passing game?!?!

In the blocking game he can contribute in all four areas. He has the feet and length to pass block on the outside, the strength and explosion to drive a man off the ball, the quickness and vision to pull, and the linear acceleration to crack and run wham plays. He does tackle, tight end, and fullback all at an extremely high level.

What the creates is the most versatile offensive chip in the NFL. Just by having Gronk in the game, it opens the potential of the playbook exponentially. Defensive coordinators will have a much lesser tell off of personnel sets. The probability of guessing wrong significantly appreciates. Lately the talk has been on the backs, Welker, and the new 3/5ths of the line, but the real key cog in the machine has been Gronk. He has hall of fame potential and I think that should carry significant weight when discussing both this offense and Belichick's often (mistakenly) maligned drafting practices.

I'm surprised ESPN-Boston hasn't made you an offer yet.

I'd take CJ over Welker, we've seen how Brady lights up big targets(Moss, Gronk) but then again this post is about..

The Greatness of Gronkness

It's WAY too early to call Gronkowski the best Tight End in the Game.

...Except that it happens to be true.

Of course I don't believe "Tight End" is even CLOSE to satisfactorily defining players, anymore.

Rob Gronkowski is what I call a Flex End ~ 50/50 Blocking/Receiving.

And Rob Gronkowski is the best Flex End in the Galaxy...already.

Aaron Hernandez, on the other hand, while he and Gronk have some overlap, has a very different set of skills and responsibilities.

Aaron Hernandez is what I call a Wing Back ~ a far older and richer term than this ugly "H-Back" business, and which, in my opinion, best captures his remarkable and evolving Game. And "Split End" is already taken.

And Aaron Hernandez...is rapidly becoming the best Wing Back in the Galaxy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots