Thierry Henry Handball

IcyPatriot

Wall of Fame
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
YouTube - France v Ireland World Cup Qualifier 2009 - Thierry Henry Handball

Thierry-Henry-005.jpg

One of the biggest names in the game, one of the strongest teams in the game...not going to get a call against them in that instance :rolleyes:

There were 2 guys offside to boot, Is B Polian on the rules committee for FIFA or something?

Give Henry credit, he came out and admitted it was a handball, and stated he thinks they should replay the game. Imagine that? How many players would say that in a similar situation? Not many.

France coach Raymond Domenech does not believe his country should be forced to apologise for the referee's failure to spot the blatant handball but just hours after FIFA firmly ruled out a replay, Henry has stated he feels that would have been the fairest way to end the heated row.

"Naturally I feel embarrassed at the way that we won and feel extremely sorry for the Irish who definitely deserve to be in South Africa," said Henry. "Of course the fairest solution would be to replay the game but it is not in my control.''

Thierry Henry: Replay the "fairest solution" for Ireland - FIFA World Cup 2010 - ESPN Soccernet

Not really France had a lead in goals and only needed a tie. The Irish won and should go.

It was a sickener - Ireland were playing really well for the first time in years, it really looked like an upset in Paris was on the cards and then you go out to something like this. It's gone a bit OTT here in Dublin now though - there's been a couple of protests held outside the French embassy, and the Taoiseach (the prime minister) brought the issue of a replay up with Sarkozy. I think FIFA and the French have the head down just waiting for it all to blow over.

Give Henry credit, he came out and admitted it was a handball, and stated he thinks they should replay the game. Imagine that? How many players would say that in a similar situation? Not many

I wouldn't give Henry any credit at all!! Of course he had to admit it was handball, he couldn't exactly deny it!
If you saw his first interview after the game, you will get a true image of what he thought about what happened. Smug and arrogant would sum it up.
It was only when he saw the reaction the next day of the French nation, and the international outcry, did he come out with those platitudes.
He also knows fine well that the game would never be replayed.
It was interesting to hear the Athletic Bilbao crowd boo him last night when he came on as a sub in the Barcelona game. It is a foretaste of what is to come for him, especially in the World Cup.
Cheating is endemic to soccer. From players using their hands to control the ball, to players feigning injury to stop the game, to players diving in the box for penalties. The game is now a huge turn off for those of us who still appreciate the way the game was played a few years ago.
Yesterday, I watched a great game of rugby between England and the All Blacks, where two teams fought one another for 80mins to win the match.
Give me that every week, or the NFL instead of the crap being dished up each week by overpaid, under-talented soccer players.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back