PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Top 10 DT's in the draft

I agree with this. Very intriguing player.

Great blue north report has Ellis being taken at #59 in the latest mock. That is a good 10 to 15 spots higher than I have seen him before.

If he has a good combine, no telling how high he can get to.

Great blue north report has Ellis being taken at #59 in the latest mock. That is a good 10 to 15 spots higher than I have seen him before.

If he has a good combine, no telling how high he can get to.

That's pretty aggressive right now, but I agree, the Combine could change things. I think that Ellis' ceiling is as high as Jordan Phillips, and right now he is a much better value. I'd be focused more on how he interviews than on how he performs at the Combine, personally. It's clear that he has size and athleticism - but does he have the discipline, drive and work ethic to channel it. If he does, he's one of the most interesting prospects in the draft. If not, he's probably off my board.

Question for you guys considering impact DL. A few years back I just LOVED JJ Watt. There were a lot of doubters though - saying he was too skinny, blah blah blah. And I said he was the most explosive defensive lineman I had seen. A freak athlete. The Texans took him at #10. The Pats took Solder at #17.

Now here's the hypothetical - if The Pats had traded up to #9 to leapfrog the Texans, expending additional draft capital. And we have Watt instead of Solder. Would we have won Superbowl XLIX?

That's just a thought I'll leave out there. Now concerning our current DL. I believe that Wilfork does not have a lot left. We might even ask him to take a paycut to stay, and he might not. In that case DT becomes a HUGE and immediate need. I'm not sold on the Easley kid. I hope he's not a bust, but really he has shown nothing yet due to injury. He pretty much had a redshirt year. In any case he doesn't project as a run stuffer. He's more of an inside rusher, hopefully, if he does develop well.

I was actually hoping for Stephon Tuitt last year. Steelers took him instead.
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/01/steelers-2014-draft-class-review-de-stephon-tuitt/

So this year, I'm still looking for a new DT. Someone hopefully with the size and strength to stuff the run, but enough athleticism to move around and disrupt the offense. Who is that guy, and is he obtainable in the late 1st early 2nd round? Can we find a sleeper like the Jets did with Mo Wilkerson?

Question 2. If you had to pick between Danny Shelton and Eddie Goldman at #32 who would it be?

Reading his description, it sounds like Shelton could be the future run-stuffing heir to Wilfork that we need.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2015DT.php

Danny Shelton*, DT, Washington
Height: 6-1. Weight: 343.
Projected 40 Time: 5.29.
Projected Round (2015): Top 25.

1/31/15: Shelton is a massive lineman who has a lot of power at the point of attack. Not only can Shelton bulldoze his way into the backfield, he is very quick and athletic for a heavy nose tackle. Shelton can collapse the pocket quickly. He destroys single blocks and commanded consistent double teams. Shelton is an ideal nose tackle for a 3-4 defense. Shelton was one of the nation's leaders in sacks for a defensive tackle with nine. Not only was Shelton getting to the quarterback, but he also stuffed the run. Besides his nine sacks, Shelton had 87 tackles with 16.5 tackles for a loss and two fumble recoveries in 2014. He battled hard against Stanford, Oregon, and UCLA.

At the Senior Bowl, Shelton was phenomenal. He was a load for the offensive lineman and couldn't be single blocked. Shelton won in the pass-rushing one-on-ones and excellent in the run scrimmages. That week in Mobile could push Shelton into the top 10.

Question 2. If you had to pick between Danny Shelton and Eddie Goldman at #32 who would it be?

Reading his description, it sounds like Shelton could be the future run-stuffing heir to Wilfork that we need.

1/31/15: Shelton is a massive lineman who has a lot of power at the point of attack. Not only can Shelton bulldoze his way into the backfield, he is very quick and athletic for a heavy nose tackle. Shelton can collapse the pocket quickly. He destroys single blocks and commanded consistent double teams. Shelton is an ideal nose tackle for a 3-4 defense. Shelton was one of the nation's leaders in sacks for a defensive tackle with nine. Not only was Shelton getting to the quarterback, but he also stuffed the run. Besides his nine sacks, Shelton had 87 tackles with 16.5 tackles for a loss and two fumble recoveries in 2014. He battled hard against Stanford, Oregon, and UCLA.

At the Senior Bowl, Shelton was phenomenal. He was a load for the offensive lineman and couldn't be single blocked. Shelton won in the pass-rushing one-on-ones and excellent in the run scrimmages. That week in Mobile could push Shelton into the top 10.

Goldman, any day. Much more explosive than Shelton, who I think is massively over-rated.

If both fell to 32, I would have to choose shelton. (Mind you I wouldn't trade up for either of them)
I heard all the reports about shelton and its hard to not like him, but it seems like the con he has against him is his motor. Hopefully that can get ironed out with an nfl conditioning program though. I'm also not sold on Goldman. From what I've read, they're games where he dominates and others where he just disappears. So I don't know how to really take that. Is it a lack of effort or was he game planned for? I think both are good value at 32 though.

Is it just wishful thinking, or does it seem like lots of NFL caliber DTs have been pushed down right where we can grab them?

I'm gunshy, although I'm fine with the change of pave penetrating T in Easley, after reading about Hageman and how Nix was the next Wilfork. I never bought Nix at all, so slow [I was right there, at least where he went], but Hageman seems like borderine special needs, or whatever the acceptable term is. Neithe a 1st, both big.

We seem to have a ton of big, highly touted DTs bottom 1st to third. I guess, I hope the reviewers are correct.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back