PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tour de France

Stokes

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Anyone watch this? I started watching when Lance was dominant and I'm into it this year with him back. Anyone else a fan?

Hey! What are you doing out of the political forum? :)

I don't follow it really closely, but I must say that it is interesting how Lance can be so dominant at it. Pretty incredible. Is there any other competitor that might give him a run for his money?

I've been watching it and i have been really immpressed by Armstrong. I don't know where he is in the standings after todays race, i didn't hang around to see the results. I think the Astana team is the best i've seen in the ten years i've watched th race. In any given year most on that team would be in the running for the championship or the best rider on his team.

Don't really watch it, all I know is Mark Cavendish is meant to be doing well.

No change in the standings from yesterday, I was pissed Contador (on Lance's team) went against the team (and Lance) and attacked yesterday to pull himself 2 seconds ahead of Armstrong. What he did was a major no-no in cycling, going against the team for himself. Belichick would have benched his *****.

Astana is crazy good, their 3rd best could probably win this year easy.

In general I'm fascinated watching these guys pull themselves up these huge mountains at high speeds after riding all day. Pretty crazy stuff. Plus all the drunks that line the streets and run with the guys while they're going through hell is hilarious.

Hey STFarmy, I DO love sports you know! Its just that by the time I read a thread in the Pats forum there usually isn't anything to add, someone has already said what I'm thinking. Also SOMEONE has to keep an eye on the animals in the political forum and try and talk some sense!

No change in the standings from yesterday, I was pissed Contador (on Lance's team) went against the team (and Lance) and attacked yesterday to pull himself 2 seconds ahead of Armstrong. What he did was a major no-no in cycling, going against the team for himself. Belichick would have benched his *****.

Astana is crazy good, their 3rd best could probably win this year easy.

In general I'm fascinated watching these guys pull themselves up these huge mountains at high speeds after riding all day. Pretty crazy stuff. Plus all the drunks that line the streets and run with the guys while they're going through hell is hilarious.

Hey STFarmy, I DO love sports you know! Its just that by the time I read a thread in the Pats forum there usually isn't anything to add, someone has already said what I'm thinking. Also SOMEONE has to keep an eye on the animals in the political forum and try and talk some sense!
Lance and a Domestique were contrlling the front of the group, and countering attacks. That takes allot out of you. I almost think it was their plan to slingshot Contador up the road. You have to realize even Lance did'nt know how he was going to react to the climbing. So, I think it's safe to say that the team decided to put him out in front and control the pace and let Contador sit in. Because at the end of the day they have two guys poised for yellow.

Lance and a Domestique were contrlling the front of the group, and countering attacks. That takes allot out of you. I almost think it was their plan to slingshot Contador up the road. You have to realize even Lance did'nt know how he was going to react to the climbing. So, I think it's safe to say that the team decided to put him out in front and control the pace and let Contador sit in. Because at the end of the day they have two guys poised for yellow.

Although multiple people, including Leipheimer, have said Contador's move was unplanned, and once it happened Lance had no choice but to play good teammate and hang onto competitors' wheels rather than pulling them up to Contador.

I am wondering if we'll see a stage where those two pick off everyone else and we can see them go mano a mano. That would be good stuff. Lance has looked pretty strong so far, Contador climbs awesome but I can't remember ever seeing Lance break on a climb.

Although multiple people, including Leipheimer, have said Contador's move was unplanned, and once it happened Lance had no choice but to play good teammate and hang onto competitors' wheels rather than pulling them up to Contador.

I am wondering if we'll see a stage where those two pick off everyone else and we can see them go mano a mano. That would be good stuff. Lance has looked pretty strong so far, Contador climbs awesome but I can't remember ever seeing Lance break on a climb.

That team is so strong, at some point the gloves are just going to come off...... And at that point all bets are off!

Astana could end up with all 3 podium positions in the GC. I think contador called his own play when he attacked. Astana doesn't wnt the yellow jersey until the Alps. Thy ecaught a break then Hushold (sp?) took the Green Jersey from Cavendish this week, Theri teams along with the Yellow Jersey will have to control the peloton this week.

The final week will be epic, 2 Alpine stages with a individual time trial, 1 stage of rolling hills and then a ride up Mt Ventoux on the 2nd to last stage??? Insane.

IMO the 2 stages in the Alps won't seperate Contador, Armstrong and Leipheimer. The stages that will determine the Yellow Jersey will be Stage 18 the Individual Time Trial and Stage 20 Mt Ventoux. If Armstrong builds up a lead in the TT will Bruyneel allow Contador to attack on Ventoux? or will he be told to protect the Yellow Jersey?

Great stuff, best tour IMO since Lemond won the TT on the Champs Elyesee on the last day.

Astana could end up with all 3 podium positions in the GC. I think contador called his own play when he attacked. Astana doesn't wnt the yellow jersey until the Alps. Thy ecaught a break then Hushold (sp?) took the Green Jersey from Cavendish this week, Theri teams along with the Yellow Jersey will have to control the peloton this week.

The final week will be epic, 2 Alpine stages with a individual time trial, 1 stage of rolling hills and then a ride up Mt Ventoux on the 2nd to last stage??? Insane.

IMO the 2 stages in the Alps won't seperate Contador, Armstrong and Leipheimer. The stages that will determine the Yellow Jersey will be Stage 18 the Individual Time Trial and Stage 20 Mt Ventoux. If Armstrong builds up a lead in the TT will Bruyneel allow Contador to attack on Ventoux? or will he be told to protect the Yellow Jersey?

Great stuff, best tour IMO since Lemond won the TT on the Champs Elyesee on the last day.

I think Armstrong will maintain his control at the front while Contador will lurk and wait for his moment. In the end it's will that will survive. Contador is an opportunist, while Armstrong is a champion. Yet, time might be the only thing keeping Armstrong from winning. Father Time, that is....

Last edited:
Levi Leipheimer is out with a broken wrist. Big loss for Astana, and a quality American rider out of the tour. He was one of maybe 5 guys with a legit shot to win this year.

Levi Leipheimer is out with a broken wrist. Big loss for Astana, and a quality American rider out of the tour. He was one of maybe 5 guys with a legit shot to win this year.
Saw the accident yesterday, didn't seem tht bad. Its really to bad, like you said one of the top riders it may effect team Asatan in the mountains.

I thought there would be a move today, the rain might have put a damper on that.

Armstrong had no problem with the mountains today, but then again the yellow jersy didn't either.

The Yellow Jersey could change hands on Sunday on the way into the Alps quite a hilly Ride, Thursday Ind TT and the Sat ride up Vontoux will decide the Yellow Jersey.

The Green Jersey could be decided on the cobblestones in Paris.

The Yellow Jersey could change hands on Sunday on the way into the Alps quite a hilly Ride, Thursday Ind TT and the Sat ride up Vontoux will decide the Yellow Jersey.

The Green Jersey could be decided on the cobblestones in Paris.

And there you have it. Nobody's going to touch Contador now. He was just too much yesterday. Pretty impressive, and a little sad to watch Lance just being paced up the climb, unable to match not only Contador, but others like Sastre, Schleck, Wiggins(!), etc. He's still doing an amazing job for his age, but its clear he just doesn't have it anymore. I do hope he can hang on for a podium finish though, that would still be an amazing story.

Also screw Garmin and his own damn team for keeping big George out of yellow on Saturday. Jerks.

And there you have it. Nobody's going to touch Contador now. He was just too much yesterday. Pretty impressive, and a little sad to watch Lance just being paced up the climb, unable to match not only Contador, but others like Sastre, Schleck, Wiggins(!), etc. He's still doing an amazing job for his age, but its clear he just doesn't have it anymore. I do hope he can hang on for a podium finish though, that would still be an amazing story.

Also screw Garmin and his own damn team for keeping big George out of yellow on Saturday. Jerks.

Agree with all of the above, we'll see how the next 2 days in the Alps go. Armstrong has had a bad day in the Alps before and could match everyone but Contador.

I wonder if he could take a minute or 2 in the Ind TT?? Could make Vontoux interesting.

Green Jersey decided in Paris.

WOW i din't want to say anything yesterday because i've seen Lance sandbag it before. This reminds me of '00 or '01 when he dropped Jan Ulrich. It looks like he still has something left in the tank.

Last edited:
WOW i din't want to say anything yesterday because i've seen Lance sandbag it before. This reminds me of '00 or '01 when he dropped Jan Ulrich. It looks like he still has something left in the tank.

He just has to hang around through the next mountain stages.... Excellnt TT and then take the gloves off on Ventoux. He's not going to win but he is making it fun to watch, really fun. Great Tour.

Huge TT today, Lance needs a strong showing to get back on the podium. He rode well again yesterday even though he lost a lot of time to the Schlecks. I'm going to ignore the updates and watch the TT tonight.

Huge TT today, Lance needs a strong showing to get back on the podium. He rode well again yesterday even though he lost a lot of time to the Schlecks. I'm going to ignore the updates and watch the TT tonight.
I think it would take a miracle at this point for Lance to win. Its most likly going to be raining by the time its his turn to ride.

Last edited:
I think it would take a miracle at this point for Lance to win. Its most likly going to be raining by the time its his turn to ride.

With a strong TT he could get into 2nd, the Schlkeck's will be on the road after Lance. So they will get the bad weather too.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back