PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where do you stand on Dante Fowler Jr.?

midwestpatsfan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
I have been watching film all day and decided to go back and watch a little more on Fowler. I wasn't planning on writing up a formal report on him because I think he will go much higher than the Patriots would be willing to trade up for. I have some thoughts on Fowler and was interested in others point of view of him.

1. I cannot wait to see what he comes in height and weight wise at the combine. To me, he doesn't look as big as he is listed.

2. As a pure pass rusher, there is a lot to like. Speed, explosion, great first step, change of direction, power to bull rush, variety of pass rush moves, active hands.

3. He really struggles against the run, and to be honest, sometimes it looks like an effort thing rather than an ability thing. He just looks like he is saying "ok, lets get this stupid run play over so I can get after the QB again"

4. He struggles with leverage and he has to get stronger to be on the field for 3 downs in the NFL.

5. He can be overly aggressive at times, running himself out of plays that he could have made.

6. He dropped back into coverage a little, but not enough to make a judgement on his skillset either good or bad. I will say, he didn't look terrible, but he was covering a zone and not a specific player.

To sum up. I think Fowler has elite pass rushing traits and would be a welcome addition on any team for that role alone. This is the Patriots however, and they want versatile players and they seem to like guys who can stop the run, almost more than getting after the passer. Maybe their thinking is changing, but I honestly don't think Fowler would be high on their board.
I would have a hard time pulling the trigger with a top 10 pick on a situational pass rusher.

Am I crazy? Am I missing something here?

I really like what i saw but it was only one game. He was really disruptive especially when it mattered. But i don't see him falling close to where we would pick.

Reminds me of Sharrif Floyd in the 2013 draft, in that I'd be thrilled to draft him with our 1st rd pick, but would not entertain drafting him in the 5-10 range where he has been slated by the draft cognoscenti.

I'm not too worried about him vs the run, assuming he can be a force vs the pass. He interviews well and shows plus play recognition instincts. Also great hand use in college to me is a suggestion that a player is a conscientious worker.

For me the question is whether or not his pass rushing game, which is what will ultimately make or break him, can translate vs nfl tackles who aren't going to let him into their frame and over whom his first step will no longer be such an advantage. At 31 or 32 I'd be thrilled to bet on that as a 'yes'. Certainly not where he's being projected.

On his Shoulders, of course.

Anywhere else would be presumptuous and rude.
harumph.gif

Well I have Fowler as my number one prospect on my big board so I'm a fan. I think where you see his limitations on early and run downs, I think that's because you are still looking at him as an edge player. The reason I'm such a fan is because I think he has versatility as an inside linebacker as well as a 3-4. His versatility is why I like him so much; you can play him as a 4-3 DE, a 3-4 OLB, a sub DE, a 4-3 SLB and a 3-4 MLB as well as a sub LB. In Collins, Hightower and Fowler, you'd have three guys you could move all over the place.

I was doing more filmwork (shocking right?) and I think what I said in my initial post about Fowler all still rings true. That being said, I think I was a little harsh on my overall assessment.

As I watch more of this class and compare it too him, he is starting to rise up my rankings. If he can learn to play with better leverage and not expose his chest too much, he could be a good all around player.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back