PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why Steelers take Holmes over Jackson?

Status
Not open for further replies.
JR4 said:
Why Steelers take Holmes over Jackson? Maybe BB has an angel up there helping him. He sure seems blessed.

Umm, or maybe BB took the time to thoroughly check this guy out while he was in Florida "vacationing" (as the usually wrong Borges noted).

Both receivers are nearly identical when talking about skill sets that both the Pats and the Steelers would look for in a WR.

However a couple of things to consider.

1.) Holmes has the experience edge. (Jackson really only had 1 productive year)
2.) Holmes played in a pro style offense in a northern state. (As opposed to JAckson in the Urban Myers funk offense in the southern swamps.)
3.) Holmes has a reputation as a more willing blocker than Jackson, an absolute must in the Steelers offense.
4.) OSU's record of producing productive NFL receivers vs. Florida's or more specifically, Myer's.

As for pro WRs, it's all about creating separation (from the LOS to the endzone and/or from sideline to sideline) and securing the rock. If you can do it successfully the NFL has a spot for you.

Ochmed Jones said:
Both receivers are nearly identical when talking about skill sets that both the Pats and the Steelers would look for in a WR.

2.) Holmes played in a pro style offense in a northern state. (As opposed to JAckson in the Urban Myers funk offense in the southern swamps.)
3.) Holmes has a reputation as a more willing blocker than Jackson, an absolute must in the Steelers offense.
4.) OSU's record of producing productive NFL receivers vs. Florida's or more specifically, Myer's.

As for pro WRs, it's all about creating separation (from the LOS to the endzone and/or from sideline to sideline) and securing the rock. If you can do it successfully the NFL has a spot for you.

I think that these guys were a toss up. They were probably 50/50 as to who was ahead of who on various draft boards.
The thing is that while Holmes was certainly a value at his spot, Jackson is ahuge value at his.
For purposes of draft slotting, these 2 guys were a coin flip.

Pitt would have been no worse taking Jackson (as of draft day. The real answer is yet to be determined) and Holmes would have been there for us to trade up and get, and we probably would have.

From a strict draft value standpoint, they are the same guy, IMO.

Ochmed Jones said:

I don't think they are the same guy, but Ochmed's assessment is in keeping with mine... that Holmes has more experience, will be ready quicker than Jackson and will have the better early season numbers.

I feel like Jackson will be the better WR in the long term however

He has more upside, and seems to have the diversity to go deep, or cross pattern across the middle.

Why?!?!

S. Holmes - I'm happy to be a part of the orginization...looking forward to playing with great players such as Ben, Hines, Alan, Troy...

C. Jackson - Well i'm not happy about slipping into the second round, but i'll still get paid well...

Its all about character...the Steelers pride themselves on picking good character people...add to that the abilities that S. Holmes brings...easy choice...

Now this is not we got the better player post...only time will tell...

Ochmed Jones said:

This is exactly what I don't like about Holmes. Watch his college tapes, he doesn't create as much separation as you'd like to see. Many of his catches, especially anything deep, seem to come with a safety or corner close by, flailing at the ball as it sails over them because of poor technique. In the NFL, those balls are picked off, with the defender turning his hips and shoulders and getting his hands on the ball. Holmes might become a good slot guy, using his quickness to create separation on short routes and sitting down in holes in zone defenses, but I don't see him as #1 or even #2 material. Jackson has a real chance to be a #1, because between his quickness, speed and ability to make fast cuts and maintain top speed, he gets a lot of separation down the field, and it shows on the film.

Troll07 said:
Why?!?!

S. Holmes - I'm happy to be a part of the orginization...looking forward to playing with great players such as Ben, Hines, Alan, Troy...

C. Jackson - Well i'm not happy about slipping into the second round, but i'll still get paid well...

Its all about character...the Steelers pride themselves on picking good character people...add to that the abilities that S. Holmes brings...easy choice...

Odd...Holmes was the one with all the pre-draft reports of attitude problems.

Troll07 said:
Its all about character...the Steelers pride themselves on picking good character people

As opposed to what the Patriots normally do? :confused:

If you wait another 11 months to post here again it will be too soon.

patchick said:
Odd...Holmes was the one with all the pre-draft reports of attitude problems.

Yeah, when the comment came out that he was just like Terry Glenn, on and off the field, I fell from the Santanio band wagon. I lived through that once. I do think that the gratification for the Steelers will be earlier, just because he is the "finished" of the two.

Holmes....attitude problem...making things up won't help your cause...I wasn't knocking the Pats...I bet they would have taken Holmes first as well...the Steelers just beat them to the punch...

coltshater said:
As opposed to what the Patriots normally do? :confused:

If you wait another 11 months to post here again it will be too soon.

Read the whole post and you would realize i wasn't attacking your squad...i was simply answering the question...

In any case...yes i think that the Pats reached on this pick...he has potential, and maybe Bill and the gang can mold him into a fine player...only time will tell...

Troll07 said:
Why?!?!

Yup - the Steelers = Good Character guys... well said

The Patriots of course are well known throughout the NFL for having a team full of selfish individuals who put personal goals before that of the team...

You've got us pegged sir! You read us like an open book.

Best of luck, and we're all glad you've found your "good character" replacement for Plaxico Burress, to continue that Steeler tradition of "good character guys"

Last edited:
JoeSixPat said:
Yup - the Steelers = Good Character guys... well said

The Patriots of course are well known throughout the NFL for having a team full of selfish individuals who put personal goals before that of the team...

You've got us pegged sir! You read us like an open book.

Best of luck, and we're all glad you've found your "good character" replacement for Plaxico Burress!

More over the reason that Plax is no longer in a Steelers Uniform...

You guys are so defensive...i wasn't trying to peg the Pats as picking head cases...its obvious that the Pats are a class originazation...i just think they reached a bit on this pick...especially with the D side of the ball in doubt...

Troll07 said:
Holmes....attitude problem...making things up won't help your cause...I wasn't knocking the Pats...I bet they would have taken Holmes first as well...the Steelers just beat them to the punch...

Trolling Troll, no one is making it up.

If you can read, get the Pro Football Weekly Draft Prospects book and read it yourself. Or, have your mommy read it to you.

Troll07 said:
Read the whole post and you would realize i wasn't attacking your squad...i was simply answering the question...

In any case...yes i think that the Pats reached on this pick...he has potential, and maybe Bill and the gang can mold him into a fine player...only time will tell...

He was ranked as high as the middle of the first round on alot of draft boards. The Patriots "reached" for him with the 36th pick???

Troll07 said:

You guys are so defensive...i wasn't trying to peg the Pats as picking head cases...its obvious that the Pats are a class originazation...i just think they reached a bit on this pick...especially with the D side of the ball in doubt...
Despite others jumping on ya Troll, I think you've been pretty reasonable up until now. But to say that Jackson was a reach in the second round, when many boards had him as the #1 reciever in the draft? (I'm not saying he should have been #1, I'm just saying, it's not a whacky thought.) I heard the word "steal" a lot more than I heard "reach".

For what it's worth, I think both teams made the right moves. I think Holmes will be good for the Steelers, and I think Jackson is a better replacement for Givens, and better opposite Branch. They're both good fits for their teams, IMHO.

But a reach? Ridiculous.

coltshater said:
He was ranked as high as the middle of the first round on alot of draft boards. The Patriots "reached" for him with the 36th pick???

Value you wise you are correct...and i should have elaborated more...i think you all are a bit thin at WR with the loss of Givens...i think that Jackson's is a bit overrated and somewhat of a head case...add to that he is not extremely physical or aggressive...i for one would peg a Pats WR to be the exact opposite...very physical and aggressive...but in a class that was thin at WR i think you reached for something that you could have gotten in a later round...

Troll07 said:
i think you reached for something that you could have gotten in a later round...
Here's a list. Show me the other WR on there that's over 6', over 200 lbs, and runs a sub-4.4 WITH hands better than this.
  1. [SIZE=-1]*Chad Jackson 6-1, 213 4.32 Florida[/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=-1]*Santonio Holmes 5-11, 190 4.35 Ohio State[/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=-1]Sinonice Moss 5-8, 185 4.38 Miami[/SIZE]
  4. [SIZE=-1]Demetrius Williams 6-2, 197 4.50 Oregon[/SIZE]
  5. [SIZE=-1]Greg Jennings 5-11, 197 4.41 Western Michigan[/SIZE]
  6. [SIZE=-1]Derek Hagan 6-2, 208 4.45 Arizona State[/SIZE]
  7. [SIZE=-1]Maurice Stovall 6-5, 216 4.58 Notre Dame[/SIZE]
  8. [SIZE=-1]Travis Wilson 6-2, 214 4.47 Oklahoma (X)[/SIZE]
  9. [SIZE=-1]Mike Hass 6-1, 210 4.60 Oregon State[/SIZE]
  10. [SIZE=-1]*Devin Hester 5-11, 190 4.41 Miami (CB/KR)[/SIZE]
  11. [SIZE=-1]Jason Avant 6-0, 210 4.55 Michigan[/SIZE]
  12. [SIZE=-1]Brandon Williams 5-9, 179 4.48 Wisconsin[/SIZE]
  13. [SIZE=-1]Hank Baskett 6-3, 224 4.50 New Mexico[/SIZE]
  14. [SIZE=-1]Martin Nance 6-4, 213 4.55 Miami (Ohio) (X)[/SIZE]
  15. [SIZE=-1]Todd Watkins 6-2, 202 4.40 BYU (X)[/SIZE]
  16. [SIZE=-1]Skyler Green 5-9, 192 4.53 LSU[/SIZE]
  17. [SIZE=-1]Jonathan Orr 6-2, 198 4.41 Wisconsin[/SIZE]
  18. [SIZE=-1]Jeff Webb 6-2, 210 4.40 San Diego State[/SIZE]
  19. [SIZE=-1]*Greg Lee 6-2, 200 4.59 Pittsburgh[/SIZE]
  20. [SIZE=-1]Michael Robinson 6-1, 227 4.60 Penn State (QB)[/SIZE]
  21. [SIZE=-1]Miles Austin 6-2, 215 4.47 Monmouth[/SIZE]
  22. [SIZE=-1]Brandon Marshall 6-4, 230 4.52 Central Florida[/SIZE]
  23. [SIZE=-1]Marques Colston 6-5, 225 4.50 Hofstra [/SIZE]
  24. [SIZE=-1]Delanie Walker 6-1, 240 4.50 Central Missouri[/SIZE]
  25. [SIZE=-1]Devin Aromashodu 6-2, 202 4.35 Auburn[/SIZE]
  26. [SIZE=-1]Willie Reid 5-10, 190 4.34 Florida State (KR) [/SIZE]
  27. [SIZE=-1]*Jeremy Bloom 5-9, 175 4.50 Colorado (KR)[/SIZE]
  28. [SIZE=-1]Ben Obomanu 6-1, 205 4.45 Auburn[/SIZE]
  29. [SIZE=-1]David Anderson 5-10, 192 4.57 Colorado State[/SIZE]
  30. [SIZE=-1]Jovon Bouknight 6-1, 195 4.70 Wyoming[/SIZE]
  31. [SIZE=-1]Adam Jennings 5-9, 180 4.44 Fresno State[/SIZE]

Troll07 said:

Touche' sir! A very good point indeed!

That must be the reason why your team "character" leader and QB wasn't donning his uniform during this photo shoot:

bigben1.jpg

bigben2.jpg

bigben3.jpg

The Patriots just can't hold a candle to the Steelers when it comes to quality "character" individuals.

Last edited:
Troll07 said:
i just think they reached a bit on this pick...especially with the D side of the ball in doubt...

You must be the only person in the country who thought the Pats were reaching here. Most projected Jackson to go mid- to late first round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes