PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will BB challenge Welker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFPatsFan11

On the Roster
Reaction score
Kind of wanted to throw it out there to gauge thoughts, but schematically could you see BB challenging Welker to be a deciding factor?

Figure we could see a fair bit of man on Thomas/Decker/Thomas from the likes of Talib/Dennard/Collins during portions of the game, which would seem to leave WW or one of the RBs as the option left 'available' or receiving less emphasis.

Kind of wanted to throw it out there to gauge thoughts, but schematically could you see BB challenging Welker to be a deciding factor?

Figure we could see a fair bit of man on Thomas/Decker/Thomas from the likes of Talib/Dennard/Collins during portions of the game, which would seem to leave WW or one of the RBs as the option left 'available' or receiving less emphasis.

With Talib on DT and Dennard on Decker I assume Welker and Jt will be focuses for the Denver offense

Arrington will draw Welker. Welker simply did not look like the same player to me last Sunday. I believe he is still suffering from the concussions he has suffered this season. If Denver ends up winning the Super Bowl i won't be surprised if he retires.

Arrington will draw Welker. Welker simply did not look like the same player to me last Sunday. I believe he is still suffering from the concussions he has suffered this season. If Denver ends up winning the Super Bowl i won't be surprised if he retires.

Or perhaps annoyed that he's got to stand around like an idiot while Manning audibles like an idiot

I agree with your assessment of his performance last week. He doesn't worry me at all this week. That said I don't know how one would be able to predict that he will turn down $6M so he can retire. He's only 32.

Arrington draws the coverage while LB's and safeties chip him at the LOS to throw off his timing whenever possible. Expect more press man this week than we've seen all season. Throwing off Manning's timing in this game is an absolute must.

Kyle Arrington needs to "rough up" Wes Welker, just like Darius Butler did when the Broncos played the Colts.

I thought this was funny from the Denver forum. This poster was referring to the week 12 game.

If not for Welker, we might have won that game.
I do not trust Welker, Brady, or BB. I wouldn't doubt it if they are working together. I would sit Welker in Sundays game.

The main threat is Demarius Thomas, who did not play in NEP-DB I. My guess is that Talib is tasked with shutting Thomas down, a good match-up for Talib and the Patriots. Dennard will get Decker and Arrington will get Welker. All of those match-ups are good ones for both teams.

I think we're going to see some Steve Gregory safety blitzes, and some hesitation blitzes by Collins to mess with Manning.

Collins is a real wild card in this one for Manning. He can drop into coverage and he can bring the heat, especially up the middle or from the same side as Chandler Jones. The Chargers did not have that much quickness on the line last week. I think Manning is going to see several things he did not plan on while the man coverage requires that he read his progressions.

It's also a help that Manning does not have the downfield rifle he had when he was younger. He can still throw it long, but the arc is longer and his balls flutter a lot. I worry less about guys outrunning the coverage this week than I did last week against Luck.

It's been years since I felt so good about the Patriots secondary against an elite passing offense.

The main threat is Demarius Thomas, who did not play in NEP-DB I. My guess is that Talib is tasked with shutting Thomas down, a good match-up for Talib and the Patriots. Dennard will get Decker and Arrington will get Welker. All of those match-ups are good ones for both teams.

I think we're going to see some Steve Gregory safety blitzes, and some hesitation blitzes by Collins to mess with Manning.

Collins is a real wild card in this one for Manning. He can drop into coverage and he can bring the heat, especially up the middle or from the same side as Chandler Jones. The Chargers did not have that much quickness on the line last week. I think Manning is going to see several things he did not plan on while the man coverage requires that he read his progressions.

It's also a help that Manning does not have the downfield rifle he had when he was younger. He can still throw it long, but the arc is longer and his balls flutter a lot. I worry less about guys outrunning the coverage this week than I did last week against Luck.

It's been years since I felt so good about the Patriots secondary against an elite passing offense.

Uh, yeah he did. He caught Denver's last TD of the game. :confused:

EDIT: You're talking about Julius Thomas. And putting Talib on him would be a bad idea. Collins will be tasked with covering him.

The main threat is Demarius Thomas, who did not play in NEP-DB I.
Demaryius Thomas played in the first game this year between the New England Patriots and the Denver Broncos. Julius Thomas was missing from the Denver Broncos lineup in the first game.

I thought this was funny from the Denver forum. This poster was referring to the week 12 game.

If not for Welker, we might have won that game.
I do not trust Welker, Brady, or BB. I wouldn't doubt it if they are working together. I would sit Welker in Sundays game.

317.gif

Arrington draws the coverage while LB's and safeties chip him at the LOS to throw off his timing whenever possible. Expect more press man this week than we've seen all season. Throwing off Manning's timing in this game is an absolute must.

The longer they make him hold the ball the better. I have never seen a QB as good when getting rid of the ball immediately, and the longer he waits to pull the trigger the more he struggles. They don't need to get to him immediately they need to disrupt his receivers and make him go away from his first choice.

Kyle Arrington needs to "rough up" Wes Welker, just like Darius Butler did when the Broncos played the Colts.

I actually think Logan Ryan will be in the slot with Arrington as the dime DB.

Uh, yeah he did. He caught Denver's last TD of the game. :confused:

EDIT: You're talking about Julius Thomas. And putting Talib on him would be a bad idea. Collins will be tasked with covering him.

I also think that you will see more of Tavon Wilson than you have in recent weeks in the hybrid safety position.

Lol, I was going to say the same thing!

Why are people forgetting Logan Ryan? I'd put him on Welker. He's been really good recently.

Why are people forgetting Logan Ryan? I'd put him on Welker. He's been really good recently.

I think Logan Ryan has the best ball skills of any DB on the team which hopefully can lead to some turnovers. He is more aggressive than Arrington which I think will give Welker trouble.

I think the Patriots are going to challenge the Broncos with old school hard hitting football on the short guys and dare Manning to hit the long guys which should buy enough time to see how Manning will hold up to getting crunched by Ninkovich and Jones. They are going to whack Manning early to make that noodle arm turn to rubber.

I think Logan Ryan has the best ball skills of any DB on the team which hopefully can lead to some turnovers. He is more aggressive than Arrington which I think will give Welker trouble.

Damn, I sure hope not!

Arrington has handled Welker for years in practice, and is much more suited to play a shorter field where he excels. Once the routes get longer is where you see Arrington start to struggle.

We're talking about the guy who held Victor Cruz to a total of 4 catches for 24 yards in the Super Bowl, and who knows every move that Welker has as he held him to 4 catches in the first meeting for a total of 31 yds. They passed Welker off to some zone looks a number of times as well, but Arrington was the main DB to line up with him. On top of that, Arrington normally sees both Edelman and Amendola in practice every week, so he's obviously well suited to handle this assignment.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2014/01/notebook_kyle_arrington_gears_up_for_rematch_with

I think the Patriots are going to challenge the Broncos with old school hard hitting football on the short guys and dare Manning to hit the long guys which should buy enough time to see how Manning will hold up to getting crunched by Ninkovich and Jones. They are going to whack Manning early to make that noodle arm turn to rubber.

Let's hope you're right, and they do get to him AND the longer coverage holds up better than last week--as it was really our only weakness in the secondary. Even then it was still very good, as there weren't nearly as many blown coverages.

McCourty attempting to line up over Hilton for an incorrect presnap read helped to throw Luck off his mark a bit, but we also saw McCourty struggle to get back in time on a handful of plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back