PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT 2024 7th Round Pick - TE Jaheim Bell

Nearly 40% of the time he has a reception he forces someone to miss a tackle.

And he averages over 9 yards after the catch for each reception.

Both those numbers are far-and-away the best in the P5.
George Costanza Flirting GIF by MOODMAN

Not sure who the criminal is.

I think on his high end, he could be a Jonnu Smith type of player. That will get shot down by people on here because he was a bust of a FA signing for what we paid him, but he's a good player. That'd be a great outcome for a 7th rounder.
A Hernandez.

40-Yard Dash​

Seconds

10-Yard Split​

Seconds

Vertical Jump​

35’’

Broad Jump​

10’ 4’’

6'2" 241 is certainly on the smaller size, but I wouldn't consider him tiny.
For a guy running routes against NFL LBs, it is. His smaller stature means he needs to get away from his coverage. He won't outrun CBs and many LBs will be faster than he is. While larger than most CBs, they will be big enough to compete with him for the ball. Combine that with poor size at the position and below average burst out of breaks, small catch radius, and his steady increase in drop %, and you get a guy who is left to the seventh round.

For a guy running routes against NFL LBs, it is. His smaller stature means he needs to get away from his coverage. He won't outrun CBs and many LBs will be faster than he is. While larger than most CBs, they will be big enough to compete with him for the ball. Combine that with poor size at the position and below average burst out of breaks, small catch radius, and his steady increase in drop %, and you get a guy who is left to the seventh round.
I would like to see him play before I judge he won't be a goto guy in this Offense but he could be a good complementary player I like him. :cool:

I would like to see him play before I judge he won't be a goto guy in this Offense but he could be a good complementary player I like him. :cool:
I agree! Someone asked why he hit the 7th round, and I gave one page's scouting report and extrapolated to NFL performance. It may be that he can improve some things with coaching (route running and catch radius, e.g.), and there may be other attributes which will improve his chances of success. We won't know until he gets to camp and starts playing.

So, is he more a 3rd down RB?
That definitely could be one of his duties, eventually. Blocking is enormous for the TE position bc it determines usage. If he can handle himself in space when it comes to that. I think the idea is to have him as flex/move te. Again with 3rd down being highlighted as a real possibility bc of his past and ability to make people miss. I think thats the hope.

For a guy running routes against NFL LBs, it is.
Linebackers in the modern NFL are trending smaller these days.

Gone are the lumbering days of the dinosaurs when 250-260 lb linebackers roamed the earth. It's not BB's early days in the NFL anymore! :haha:

In a pass friendly league, I'd rather have a versatile tight end who can make plays in space. Not saying he can't work on improving his blocking game, but that wasn't the reason why we drafted Bell.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/10: News and Notes
MORSE: Draft Analysis and Thoughts on Patriots Rookie Mini Camp
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
Back