PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

3 needs, all filled, and the whining continues

Yeah I think it's reasonable to be excited that we have 2 new WR that could be hidden gems.. Polk & Baker could be our next Edelman even if definitely not that WR1 Wolf said he was trying to bring in.

And yet it's also reasonable to question the picks.. given our current room of steady but unspectacular WR 3/4's, and now we have ended up with a room of.. you guessed it - even more WR 3/4's. Did we really "get better"... or stay about the same at WR. Extra depth to be sure but definitely another few years of no true no.1, as we aren't going to burn our R1 pick next year at receiver, given taking 2 so high this year.

Personally, I'd have packaged the 2 picks together taken to take a swing at Worthy, Legette, Thomas Jr.. players with huge athleticism and clear WR1 gamebreaking potential. I feel like we needed quality over quantity at WR. Have the deep threat for Maye when the pocket breaks down and compliments his strengths perfectly.

No one here is right or wrong yet.. whining and celebrating both allowed..
Time will tell!

Urinating Circle Of Life GIF by Four Rest Films

Don't mind me...says someone whining some where.

I’m perfectly content with drafting Polk and Baker. There are always receiver gems hidden beyond the second round. One if not both of these guys could become very productive receivers.

If both suck we can revisit the choices but I think the idea to snag two talented players was a really good choice. I’m more underwhelmed by the OL choices but at least they targeted OT and are attempting to find improvements there.

I’m okay with how the draft has gone, maybe even pleased with it.

Folks wanted our future QB, a WR and an OT. We did all three while making our 5th a 4th. For me, I couldn't have expected more, although my personal preference was a CB at 37 instead of a WR.
================================
The QB is who we wanted and who the staff wanted. They will be given plenty of time to develop him. He is our QB for 2024-2026. We will evaluate him and make a decision whether to pick up his 5th year option, as we did with Jones, and the either extend or him or try again in the 2027 draft. The Jones choice at 15 didn't work out. The major failure was the poor coaching. With better coaching, we likely would still have drafted a QB this year, and Jones would have the bridge instead of Brissette. We took our turn at the golden ring. Only one of the QB's worked out.

The WR was one of a dozen WR's rated as having 2nd round value. The staff knows him well and will make sure that he doesn't fail. His ceiling is obviously TBD. But he is very unlikely to be a Shuster, a Parker or a Thornton.

The OT is a disappointment in that many of us wanted us to get a Guyton or Mims. We were OK with using 68 to move up to get one of the two, or perhaps even Morgan. Apparently, Wolf tried, but it takes two, so we settled for getting a WR and a developmental OT. He could be a future starter at almost any one of the line positions, or he could be a top backup, or he could be dud who doesn't work out after 2-3 years of trying. However, I am fine with waiting after the top 8 were gone. We took an OT rated lower than others. However, we also have higher rated WR than if we had drafted an OT in the 2nd and a WR in the 3rd.

BOTTOM LINE
Wolf did what he needed to do. And he has a chance at two more solid picks early in the 4th (instead of one).
I like everything they did.

Much better than the obscure guard or safety in the past

Yes we have other holes as well but we should have tried harder to use our resources to get better value.
Explain why other teams in this league would cooperate in making us better without it costing us at least as much as the moves are worth.

The only people not satisfied with this draft are the ones who would never be satisfied with any draft at all, even if we managed to select all 224 picks and signed every UDFA in the known universe.

There's always someone who will insist they know more than the guys who do this for a living and criticize every draft with full benefit of hindsight. Frankly I find the attitude highly contemptible but who am I to judge?

Explain why other teams in this league would cooperate in making us better without it costing us at least as much as the moves are worth.

The only people not satisfied with this draft are the ones who would never be satisfied with any draft at all, even if we managed to select all 224 picks and signed every UDFA in the known universe.

There's always someone who will insist they know more than the guys who do this for a living and criticize every draft with full benefit of hindsight. Frankly I find the attitude highly contemptible but who am I to judge?
Also judging a draft before any of them play a game is just silly.

Folks wanted our future QB, a WR and an OT. We did all three while making our 5th a 4th. For me, I couldn't have expected more, although my personal preference was a CB at 37 instead of a WR.
The problem is, fans expected our future QB, a #1 WR and a ready-to-play OT out of this draft.

The funny thing is, if the order of the picks went Maye, Baker, Polk, Wallace people would be celebrating.

The WR was one of a dozen WR's rated as having 2nd round value. The staff knows him well and will make sure that he doesn't fail. His ceiling is obviously TBD. But he is very unlikely to be a Shuster, a Parker or a Thornton.

Do you mind expanding on that a little bit? I know nothing of the guy and have heard such comparisons, but it hasn't really given me an idea to who he is as a player.

WHERE THE **** IS OUR ****ING LEFT ****ING TACKLE?!?!?

And Adorable Adrian Adonai Mitchell is >>>>> Jalynn Polk.

D for the Polk pick

D ****ing Minus for the Wallace pick.
Not sure if you know now but AD Mitchell had a host of red flags. The biggest one being he's a diabetic and doesn't quite have control of it. Experiencing lots of mood swings, low energy and lack of attention. Lack of effort was another and having issues with teammates. That's why he fell in the draft and it took a drug addict owner to probably push for Colts to take him.

Not sure if you know now but AD Mitchell had a host of red flags. The biggest one being he's a diabetic and doesn't quite have control of it. Experiencing lots of mood swings, low energy and lack of attention. Lack of effort was another and having issues with teammates. That's why he fell in the draft and it took a drug addict owner to probably push for Colts to take him.
You know, they can just hire a guy...to make sure he takes his shots. It's no different than any other handler hired in the NFL.

They could have traded down to 37 like they did and taken him.

They could have traded down again and got more picks back and still taken him or settled on Kingsley Sumiataia....

Instead they took a WR comparable to Bourne, Osborn or a younger Juju.
OK.

You would have taken Sumiataia who everyone except those who post here consider a major project, or Paul who many considered a 3rd rounder. Wanting an OT doesn't make him worth drafting at 37. Let's be clear. I was willing to use both our 2nd and 3rd to trade up for onr of the 1st round tackles, and I didn't want a WR at 37. In the end, I am fine with Polk and Wallace.

You know, they can just hire a guy...to make sure he takes his shots. It's no different than any other handler hired in the NFL.
yes, if we were talking about one of the top 3 WR's this would make sense. The reality is that there were many, many WR's that teams were happy with, so they didn't need to hire a handler.

yes, if we were talking about one of the top 3 WR's this would make sense. The reality is that there were many, many WR's that teams were happy with, so they didn't need to hire a handler.
Why top 3? Why not top 5? Or top 20? What's the cutoff? How did you come to that? Pick 37 is a pretty big investment.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/10: News and Notes
MORSE: Draft Analysis and Thoughts on Patriots Rookie Mini Camp
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
Back