PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2024 NFL Draft Thread (Continued..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice podcast ... seems pretty down on daniels .. doesn't predict a high ceiling considering 5 year start with still unplugged holes / deficiencies.

From 26 minutes

I did not realize that JJ McCarthy was 10 pounds lighter than Daniels!

Two things:

1) Here’s Daniels throwing to the MIDDLE OF THE FIELD while standing tall in the pocket delivering a strike to his receiver and taking a big hit. You love to see it..

2) For all those complaining about Daniels’ size at 6’4 210; McCarthy is an entire 10-20 pounds lighter than him. Yet, not a soul mentioned that, besides @upstater1….So, I have to ask, what’s the real issue?….To be clear, I don’t have an issue with either player’s size/frame; just playing devil’s advocate because people pick and choose who weight/size is an issue for. They’ll both be fine.

Last edited:
Two things:

1) Here’s Daniels throwing to the MIDDLE OF THE FIELD while standing tall in the pocket delivering a strike to his receiver and taking a big hit. You love to see it..

2) For all those complaining about Daniels’ size at 6’4 210; McCarthy is an entire 10-20 pounds lighter than him. Yet, not a soul mentioned that, besides @upstater1….So, I have to ask, what’s the real issue?….

I love Daniels and hate McCarthy, so I am in the clear as well.

Now let’s take a quick peek into the hearts and minds of the rest of you deplorables….

1707934306188.gif

(except @Ian, he’s too nice to be racist)

Last edited:
Two things:

2) For all those complaining about Daniels’ size at 6’4 210; McCarthy is an entire 10-20 pounds lighter than him. Yet, not a soul mentioned that, besides @upstater1….So, I have to ask, what’s the real issue?….

Yep, clean pocket, first read, and he put it where it needed to be....would like to see more of it, maybe I will when I start watching film again.

FYI...all sizes should be taken with a significate grain of salt until they are official, the schools (and pro teams) always mislist them for some reason.....JD gained an inch and 25 pounds between Arizona and LSU. Daniels is also two years older, which means he has had more time to grow. Nevermind their playing styles, JD will being giving himself up to be hit more, hence the concern about his size.

Good post, right until you decide that you want to go throw the race card out....yeah, no other reason someone may not like this particular prospect.

Two things:

are we really doing this?

I don't really like either one. McCarthy does not impress me the least bit, and certainly not in the first round. 3rd round and maybe with our 2nd but i just think he is ok. I don't like Daniels because i think he has not had sustained greatness. He has had one great year imo but the others were meh. again, this is my opinion and i say if we cant get Williams or Maye, then we either take a flyer in the later rounds and then look for a QB in next years draft...or a vet like Mayfield now. in then end, im rooting for whomever they select to start at QB even if it's Mac jones.

are we really doing this?

I don't really like either one. McCarthy does not impress me the least bit, and certainly not in the first round. 3rd round and maybe with our 2nd but i just think he is ok. I don't like Daniels because i think he has not had sustained greatness. He has had one great year imo but the others were meh. again, this is my opinion and i say if we cant get Williams or Maye, then we either take a flyer in the later rounds and then look for a QB in next years draft...or a vet like Mayfield now. in then end, im rooting for whomever they select to start at QB even if it's Mac jones.
If that’s the case, then you didn’t need to respond. It was for those who like McCarthy and/or dislike Daniels for whatever reasons…

Yep, clean pocket, first read, and he put it where it needed to be....would like to see more of it, maybe I will when I start watching film again.

FYI...all sizes should be taken with a significate grain of salt until they are official, the schools (and pro teams) always mislist them for some reason.....JD gained an inch and 25 pounds between Arizona and LSU. Daniels is also two years older, which means he has had more time to grow. Nevermind their playing styles, JD will being giving himself up to be hit more, hence the concern about his size.

Good post, right until you decide that you want to go throw the race card out....yeah, no other reason someone may not like this particular prospect.
Who mentioned/insinuated race?..If that were the case, I would’ve just said that..

Either Maye or Daniels..

I did not realize that JJ McCarthy was 10 pounds lighter than Daniels!
JJ turned 21 a month ago. This is the biggest "nothing" I've heard in years. Kid is 6'3 he won't have any problem adding 15lbs of good weight. I have no idea why people are bringing this up for McCarthy. He doesn't have a history of running face first into defenders, is young and has a frame to handle 220 np.

Maybe I'm missing something but what exactly is the point of this. I'm genuinely asking bc I've been doing this for 10+ years and am not concerned in the least by this specific fact.

Who mentioned/insinuated race?..If that were the case, I would’ve just said that..

If that isn't what you were insinuating, I apologize, I wrapped you in with the poster that followed you.

JJ turned 21 a month ago. This is the biggest "nothing" I've heard in years. Kid is 6'3 he won't have any problem adding 15lbs of good weight. I have no idea why people are bringing this up for McCarthy. He doesn't have a history of running face first into defenders, is young and has a frame to handle 220 np.

Maybe I'm missing something but what exactly is the point of this. I'm genuinely asking bc I've been doing this for 10+ years and am not concerned in the least by this specific fact.
I didn't say I was concerned. I'm noting it because everyone is highly concerned about Daniels, but the same people concerned about Daniels' thinness are then recommending McCarthy.

There's one generational talent in that draft. Pick him.

He'll be on my PTP list for sure. I've talked about Wilson for years. Absolute junkyard dog. One of my favorite prospects to watch. Absolute animal. Routinely has popped his shoulders back in place on the sidelines. Played through a ton of pain and injuries it's not funny. This dude is a football player and has improved everywhere. Mayo and Boom will absolutely love him.

First things first. Very medical heavy meaning a lit will depend on his medicals and how comfortable you are taking him. 2 ACL, dislocated shoulders. He'll be 24 on Draft Day. Super aggressive that'll have to be contained to a point

Extremely versatile you can play him inside/outside, use him to rush off the edge, stunts, plus in coverage, instincts and leadership. Former wrestler.

Very loose hips, fluid mover - in coverage, scraping, stop & start. Very savvy in coverage. Eyes are on QB but he'll try to bait. Understands where the soft points - where someone would want to go. Disrupts lanes and routes. Very good in zone and reminds me of what Bill used to ask his LBs to do in coverage. Disrupt and be annoying more than actual 1v1.

Sideline to sideline range. Plus game speed I believe he was clocked at 23mph

Quick trigger in the run game. Fires to ball with no fear. Loves to beat OL and play behind the line. Can scrape, fire and wrap up. Loves to disrupt and get physical.

Reliable tackler only him and Colson have a missed tackle rate below 5%

Plus play recognition

Always brings the fight to his target plus toughness and willingness when it comes to bring the thump

You're getting it all with Wilson even if he's not LB1 or the best LB on his team in the pros. He's a "ride or die" guy. Has to do a better job with his hands upfront and play a tiny bit slower at times but hes a good one.

Am I missing something? I’m surprised you are still using a “ Patriot Type Player” model with Belichick gone and their drafting model in flux. I realize most of the scouting is done, but I would think the points of emphasis for the prospects would change significantly. Probably not on defense, but definitely on offense.

I figured you would spend the next year or two changing the model for their drafts.

For anyone interested there is a Best Case Scenario for Top 10 Teams in the Draft episode on the PFF Draft podcast that just came out. It’s a really good discussion on those picks, definitely worth listening to.

I like that the kid's got rings on his resume.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents