PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2024 NFL Draft Thread (Continued..)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caserio just traded their 1st round pick to the Vikings for essentially a 2nd and 3rd rounder (really, a 2025 2nd).

A couple months ago, Scouts said that this draft was only 15 deep in terms of 1st round values.

It seems Caserio definitely agrees with that. The draft is not deep in premium talent.

Effectively, trading down from 3 to grab an extra first rounder should be seen as trading down for a second round value.

@Ivan

What the value of #3? Is it 11 and 23 and a 2025 1st? I don't agree with Upstater1 above. You could really load up with 11, 23, and 34 with two 1's next year. You could fix three positions, as we discussed in the other thread. Best OT at 11, best QB at 23 and best WR at 34. They'd be rolling.

@Ivan
This what that could look like. I am intrigued.
1710515494267.png

@Ivan
View attachment 57079
Not loving that.
Dev Walker can't catch a cold, he should not even be drafted.
McCarthy is the right spot in terms of where he SHOULD be picked but he is NO WAY EVER lasting until 23 but he is boom/bust prospect that leans toward bust anyways.

You can't give up the #3 pick that is a potential franchise QB and go all the way down to 11. You give up a first round QB prospect to draft a lesser prospect in round 1.

So, all you really gain is basically 2 second round talents? For one of the 3 franchise QB prospects? Not remotely enough. Especially if you have to draft one of the lesser QB prospects with 23 or 34 anyway.

The problem is the 2025 draft is shaping up to be a real stinker so the value of a 2025 first is just not that high from coming from any team that might make the playoffs.

@Ivan
View attachment 57079
Is that Three WR's I see???:oops:

Happy Celebration GIF by Manchester United

Not loving that.
Dev Walker can't catch a cold, he should not even be drafted.
McCarthy is the right spot in terms of where he SHOULD be picked but he is NO WAY EVER lasting until 23 but he is boom/bust prospect that leans toward bust anyways.

You can't give up the #3 pick that is a potential franchise QB and go all the way down to 11. You give up a first round QB prospect to draft a lesser prospect in round 1.

So, all you really gain is basically 2 second round talents? For one of the 3 franchise QB prospects? Not remotely enough. Especially if you have to draft one of the lesser QB prospects with 23 or 34 anyway.

The problem is the 2025 draft is shaping up to be a real stinker so the value of a 2025 first is just not that high from coming from any team that might make the playoffs.
I am not sold on Walker, so I have no problem with your take on it.

There's no guarantee that the guy at 3 is going to be The Guy.

Mahomes 10th
Watson 12th
Allen 7th
Love 26th
Hurts 53rd
Lamar 32nd

We all know about Purdy being Mr Irrelevant. There's plenty of guys in the 1st round who haven't done anything. Jones, Haskins, Pickett, Darnold, Rosen, wilson, Lance, Mac.... the list is longer for misses than hits.

There's a lot of holes on offense. All's I am saying is there's a very good case to be made to deal with the Vikings if they are not sold on one of the top 3 guys. If they are thinking that whoever is at #3 is a 15 year starter and a all-pro level guy, then they should 100% not trade the pick. If that guy at #3 is the second coming of Josh Rosen, then by all means, deal away.

@Ivan

What the value of #3? Is it 11 and 23 and a 2025 1st? I don't agree with Upstater1 above. You could really load up with 11, 23, and 34 with two 1's next year. You could fix three positions, as we discussed in the other thread. Best OT at 11, best QB at 23 and best WR at 34. They'd be rolling.

There's a reason Caserio traded out of that spot.

There's a reason Caserio traded out of that spot.
And they are a playoff team... the Pats aren't. They have more holes to fill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back