PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2024 NFL Draft Thread (Continued..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would people be mad if the Patriots took Cooper Dejean in the 2nd round?

We have a need at FS and he could potentially be a Kyle Hamilton type addition.

Wholeheartedly agree that FS is a position of need, and has been overlooked by fans.

However, I just can't fathom the rationale of drafting a FS before selecting an OT and a WR.

Best Available Player is a great concept, but at the same time let's consider the relative value of an upgrade of those positions. OT and WR are closer to zero right now on a scale of 0-100, compared to FS.

I think it comes down to your needs, and where the rest of the board is at. Example, I would love an OT at 34, but if it gets cleaned out with 8-9 going off the board before 34, and WR’s like Adonai Mitch are still available, then I would take the WR, because you are getting a #1 WR at that pick, whereas you are now into the second tier at OT, and could trade back out if 34, pick up another 2nd round pick, and get the same value at 42 as you would have at 34 at OT. However if your top WR’s, and 8-9 OT’s are gone at 34, then I would seriously consider trading back with 34, then trading up from 68, to come away with 3 mid second round picks, because that’s a sweet spot in this draft where could either double up at either WR or OT, and take one of the other, or go OT, WR, and get a high quality defender who was pushed out of the first round by the run on OT’s, WR’s, and QB’s. It’s conceivable you could come away from that with Patrick Paul OT, Troy Franklin WR, and T’Vondre Sweat DT.

I think it comes down to your needs, and where the rest of the board is at. Example, I would love an OT at 34, but if it gets cleaned out with 8-9 going off the board before 34, and WR’s like Adonai Mitch are still available, then I would take the WR, because you are getting a #1 WR at that pick, whereas you are now into the second tier at OT, and could trade back out if 34, pick up another 2nd round pick, and get the same value at 42 as you would have at 34 at OT. However if your top WR’s, and 8-9 OT’s are gone at 34, then I would seriously consider trading back with 34, then trading up from 68, to come away with 3 mid second round picks, because that’s a sweet spot in this draft where could either double up at either WR or OT, and take one of the other, or go OT, WR, and get a high quality defender who was pushed out of the first round by the run on OT’s, WR’s, and QB’s. It’s conceivable you could come away from that with Patrick Paul OT, Troy Franklin WR, and T’Vondre Sweat DT.
Patrick Paul is dropping on many boards, but this guy is very athletic and is need of development. A team with time to sit him and develop him will take him in the second half of the 2nd round. Can't imagine a guy with raw tools gets by the 2nd round.

Will jonny Wilson FSU be there at 68?
The X of all Xs qb at 3 tackle at 34 Wilson at 68? Dude has ridiculous size

Regarding Mayo, Wolf, and anyone in the Patriots leadership even hinting at any possible draft plans (whether real or a "smoke screen"):
1711314226106.jpeg

Wholeheartedly agree that FS is a position of need, and has been overlooked by fans.

However, I just can't fathom the rationale of drafting a FS before selecting an OT and a WR.

Best Available Player is a great concept, but at the same time let's consider the relative value of an upgrade of those positions. OT and WR are closer to zero right now on a scale of 0-100, compared to FS.
Best available player is a concept that cannot be executed without reference to context. For most of Brady's twenty years, if the best available player (in the early rounds) was a quarterback when the Patriots came up to draft, it would have been idiotic to make that selection.

Best available player is a concept that cannot be executed without reference to context. For most of Brady's twenty years, if the best available player (in the early rounds) was a quarterback when the Patriots came up to draft, it would have been idiotic to make that selection.
I think when people say BPA, they mean like taking Carlos Dunlap instead of Jermaine Cunningham, or taking Keenan Allen instead Aaron Dropson, or not taking a safety with a borderline UDFA ranking in the second rd because they play ST and really like playing football

It’s all smoke and mirrors. The deal would have to absolutely be a no brainer to move off of 3. Good strategy to see if you can get that massive deal.

I think when people say BPA, they mean like taking Carlos Dunlap instead of Jermaine Cunningham, or taking Keenan Allen instead Aaron Dropson, or not taking a safety with a borderline UDFA ranking in the second rd because they play ST and really like playing football

Maybe but I think a better example is last year in the 2nd round the Patriots took Keion White when they really needed an OT, because White was the BPA on their board. By round 3, there were no top rated OTs left.

Your take could be considered "the BB haters" perspective.

No. Taking BPA means taking your highest rated player, not highest rated by need. There are other factors that go into creating that board, such as Belichick used to have his scouts show which player(s) they could take the job away from, but overall taking the best player is just that.

What do you think will happen if the Patriots don’t get a good QB BAC? I want Mayo and Wolf to succeed, but I don’t know of any coaches who do succeed without one. Belichick is the GOAT Head Coach, and he lost badly without one, and it cost him his job despite winning 6 Lombardi’s. If that doesn’t guarantee job security then nothing does.

Yeah 3 #1’s, and 2 #2’s kind of insane deal. You’d have to take it if offered.

There is no deal that I would take if I believe the top QB’s are franchise quarterbacks. You have to remember that you are just going to have to turn around and give that much back up to go get your QB in a future draft if you still don’t have one. Especially if your team is good enough to be drafting in the middle of the pack, but not good enough to win anything.

If your evaluation of the quarterbacks is that only two are franchise caliber quarterbacks, and both are fine when you pick them you start looking at the best deals to trade down, and then try to make that deal. The last option in this situation is BPA, because other than getting a franchise caliber QB multiple first round picks are too good to pass up for almost all other position players. There are exceptions, such as a guy like Aaron Donald, but if my choice if between 3 first round picks, or Marvin Harrison Jr., then I’m taking the picks, especially since you are going to need them to move up for the quarterback in a future draft.

In War Room Holley said that part of Belichick’s process was having his scouts tell him who that pick could replace on his roster, so he did put context into the equation. But overall BOA generally means BPA. In last years draft the Patriots needed an OT more than a corner, but the OT class was really weak, and Gonzalez was clearly the best player left on the board, and they went with Gonzalez, which imo was definitely the right move.

If you go back through drafts you will see countless examples of teams taking needs over BPA, and that’s how they missed on Ed Reed, Aaron Donald, JJ Watt, and RLKAG. The list is really long, but it clearly demonstrates that if you want to build a great team then draft BPA, and fill your immediate needs with the best player you can find to fill it elsewhere. But there is still context to it, because if you are the Bills, Eagles, or another team knocking on the door for a Lombardi, then taking the OT instead of a safety who could be great might be the better move. But if you are trying to build from the ground up then other than getting your franchise a you should go BPA.

Ok so if Mayo is saying there’s 5 QBs they like and they respect toughness and decision making the most.

Who are known as the toughest players who are great decision makers who are also team leaders.
That is the the guy they are targeting.

There is no deal that I would take if I believe the top QB’s are franchise quarterbacks. You have to remember that you are just going to have to turn around and give that much back up to go get your QB in a future draft if you still don’t have one. Especially if your team is good enough to be drafting in the middle of the pack, but not good enough to win anything.

If your evaluation of the quarterbacks is that only two are franchise caliber quarterbacks, and both are fine when you pick them you start looking at the best deals to trade down, and then try to make that deal. The last option in this situation is BPA, because other than getting a franchise caliber QB multiple first round picks are too good to pass up for almost all other position players. There are exceptions, such as a guy like Aaron Donald, but if my choice if between 3 first round picks, or Marvin Harrison Jr., then I’m taking the picks, especially since you are going to need them to move up for the quarterback in a future draft.
You keep saying that you will need to turn around and trade away the same haul for a QB in the future, as you are receiving in trade now.

That is not necessarily the case.

Minnesota is the team being talked about as being ready to pay a ransom and trade up.

They could stay where they are and take a later QB and get lucky, and not gut their future like Carolina did. Michael Penix could certainly make it to 11.

Now I am not suggesting using luck as a strategy, but you can get a serviceable QB a bit later, if you already have a solid core in place.

SF opted for the ransom route and it blew up on them, but they got lucky with a later QB who was serviceable.

And as Brady showed us, there is always a chance to get REALLY lucky if you do your homework.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Back