Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Grade the Drake Maye pick (no RLKAG option, sorry)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Grade C

Just watched his post -draft interview. He reminds me of Philip Rivers in his manner and somewhat in his skill set. He seems like he could be a resilient sort of guy, a quality he's likely to need for a year or two. I'm optimistic, but I think the Mac Jone's experience has got me, probably others, a little gun shy...in a way that's probablyt a little unfair to Maye. A part of me wishes we had landed the flashier promise of Daniels, but if we had drafted him, I'd be worried about injury and frankly to a degree about his character. All in all, I think the Pats did well, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it all works out. To be honest, I'm a little more worried about Mayo being an empty suit than I am about Maye being an empty uniform, so to speak.

Just watched his post -draft interview. He reminds me of Philip Rivers in his manner and somewhat in his skill set. He seems like he could be a resilient sort of guy, a quality he's likely to need for a year or two. I'm optimistic, but I think the Mac Jone's experience has got me, probably others, a little gun shy...in a way that's probablyt a little unfair to Maye. A part of me wishes we had landed the flashier promise of Daniels, but if we had drafted him, I'd be worried about injury and frankly to a degree about his character. All in all, I think the Pats did well, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it all works out. To be honest, I'm a little more worried about Mayo being an empty suit than I am about Maye being an empty uniform, so to speak.
Maye has the ingredients for sustained greatness, arguably the highest ceiling of any of the QBs. If the talk about his superior work ethic is true and he's able to fix his deficiencies, he will be special. But who knows? I have to admit I'm now excited to see how this pans out.

Maye has the tools. If he gets the coaching and supporting cast I think he'll be very good. A pick. Can't wait to look back in time on all these opinions.

I gave a ‘C’ grade. Maye is a mid round first round talent. So we overdrafted. The hype train can be ignored. Michael Penix and Bo Nix will do better than a lot of you think. Better than Caleb Williams and Jaden Daniels.

No, trading down and getting an OT should have been the priority.

There’s a reason Coach Jeem now with the Chargers has been a success everywhere he’s gone.

It. All. Starts. OL.

Plus, Maye gets emotional when he’s surrounded by a subpar cast like he was last season at UNC. He tries to do too much.

Great arm and prototypical size. But please let him sit this season.
We have seen tight ends get converted to stud Ol in 2 years. Why can't we expect that development from our young oline.

This is a bridge year and focus on building the core of team. Next year and 2026 we can start to compete.

From what I read about him - elite physical talent, big and strong arm but needs work on decision making, reading defenses, leaves the pocket too early - it sounds like he's got the tools to be really good but needs some good coaching.

For me, reading defenses, making good decisions and staying calm in the pocket are the most critical part of playing QB. All 3 things Mac was awful at. This kid can have the Josh Allen physical attributes, but if he reads defenses like Mac and panics like Mac, then this could be a disaster pick. At the very least he's got a stronger arm, bigger and more athletic than Mac.

I hope they don't rush this kid until he is ready. The coaches can't succumb to pressure from fans, media, and ownership.

Last edited:
B. Obvious thing to do if no trade back available. Unfortunately drafting Mac was also the obvious thing to do. I hope we don’t regret passing on Alt.
Well its hard to know that Mac was going to be a soft head case. Sometimes that goes under the radar.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back