PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schilling pitches a 1 hitter..

DarrylS

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
watched this off an on yesterday, daughter and grandkids over, turned it on late and saw the A's fans clapping for Schilling, holy crap it was a no hitter in the ninth.. the pitching has been terrific, wait still they all start hitting.. Drew, Lugo, Manny and the rest.. this is a very good team. With Lester, Bucholz, Jacob Elsbury in the wings this team will be competitive for a while.

watched this off an on yesterday, daughter and grandkids over, turned it on late and saw the A's fans clapping for Schilling, holy crap it was a no hitter in the ninth.. the pitching has been terrific, wait still they all start hitting.. Drew, Lugo, Manny and the rest.. this is a very good team. With Lester, Bucholz, Jacob Elsbury in the wings this team will be competitive for a while.

The big man's blog should be an interesting read on this one. Even the CHB will find difficulty in nit-picking a one hitter, although he'll doubtless try.

The big man's blog should be an interesting read on this one. Even the CHB will find difficulty in nit-picking a one hitter, although he'll doubtless try.

He'll get on Schill for shaking off Varitek on the pitch that gave up a hit.

ESPN switched in to the 8th (I think it was) inning to witness it. 8 2/3 innings-that had to stink,being SO CLOSE,but what a phenom performance by Schill. Congrats to him-absolutely fantastic outing. Say what they want about The Mouth That Roared,but the man's got game. They needed that one.
Agreed on your assessment GJ- a really good, well-balanced team with a nice mix of vets and youth to keep them in contention down the road and into the future.

He'll get on Schill for shaking off Varitek on the pitch that gave up a hit.

Without a doubt. Luckily Schill maybe beat him to it by saying something about the what-ifs re that pitch. Great win for the Sox!

Shill even said he'll always wonder "what if". The funny part is that tek always checks out guys in the box and stewart was all jacked up so he thought he would be swinging first pitch and wanted a slider, shill shook him off and lost it....always listen to tek

Shill even said he'll always wonder "what if". The funny part is that tek always checks out guys in the box and stewart was all jacked up so he thought he would be swinging first pitch and wanted a slider, shill shook him off and lost it....always listen to tek

Schill's a wily vet, himself, I wouldn't doubt either of them.

Even if Schill throws what Tek wanted him to, who says Stewart doesn't take it for a base hit?

Anybody can hit any pitch at any given time, it's what makes the no-hitter so ridicolously remarkable, but at the same time, mildly trivial. I personally think no-hitters are overrated. Did Schilling pitch any less of a nasty game b/c Stewart got a base hit? Of course not. Schilling doesn't need a no-hitter to make his place in history, it's already there, he pitched a heck of a game.

Last edited:
Great Job by Schilling in a clasic pitching dual.

Schill's a wily vet, himself, I wouldn't doubt either of them.

Even if Schill throws what Tek wanted him to, who says Stewart doesn't take it for a base hit?

Anybody can hit any pitch at any given time, it's what makes the no-hitter so ridicolously remarkable, but at the same time, mildly trivial. I personally think no-hitters are overrated. Did Schilling pitch any less of a nasty game b/c Stewart got a base hit? Of course not. Schilling doesn't need a no-hitter to make his place in history, it's already there, he pitched a heck of a game.

You missed the point....tek is watching the batters every move and picked a pitch that stewart would have trouble hitting if he swung (which he expected after reading his actions) shill figured (on his interview) he would be taking first pitch so he shook tek and went fastball. I trust shill to pick pitches (i trust tek more) however he was 1 out from a no-hitter so he probably wasn't as relaxed as he normally would be

You missed the point....tek is watching the batters every move and picked a pitch that stewart would have trouble hitting if he swung (which he expected after reading his actions) shill figured (on his interview) he would be taking first pitch so he shook tek and went fastball. I trust shill to pick pitches (i trust tek more) however he was 1 out from a no-hitter so he probably wasn't as relaxed as he normally would be

I hear you. I just think Schilling shouldn't bother asking himself "what if?" re: shaking off Tek.

I hear you. I just think Schilling shouldn't bother asking himself "what if?" re: shaking off Tek.

I understand that...but that being that last guy of a no-hitter I can understand it being in the back of your mind

i felt so sorry for him losing it with 2 outs in the 9th, but at least he didn't get all mad, and he kept his head long enough to get the next batter out, and get the win. He could have easily made one mistake after that because he had just lost the no hitter, and with them leading by only 1 run that mistake could have cost the game.

This is taken from survivinggrady.com (awesome site btw) in the comment box and it's made in jest not seriously
"Personally I blame Lugo. If he hadn't made that error Schilling would never have had to face Stewart."

Last edited:

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
Back