PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Rumor Patriots rejected two major trade offers?

A report indicating the Patriots are potentially in the market for this player, or have expressed or plant to express interest.
I'll agree that Alex Smith is better than Brisset.

But considering that realistically we're not competing for the playoffs in year 1 of the rebuild, all the MORE reason to keep Maye on the bench and make sure not to expose him to unnecessary hits.

Let the kid learn first and afford him the time to grow into his potentially very high ceiling.
This is the #3 overall pick beating out a UDFA who is on the fringes of the league. Not the #5 overall pick beating out a former #1 overall pick.

They didn't draft this kid at 3 to sit. Hell, MAC ****ING JONES started Week 1. I don't expect Maye to start week 1. But if we're week 15 and he's no closer to seeing the field, I think it's fair to raise a red flag.

This is the #3 overall pick beating out a UDFA who is on the fringes of the league. Not the #5 overall pick beating out a former #1 overall pick.

They didn't draft this kid at 3 to sit. Hell, MAC ****ING JONES started Week 1. I don't expect Maye to start week 1. But if we're week 15 and he's no closer to seeing the field, I think it's fair to raise a red flag.
Mac Jones beat out a washed Cam Newton. And in retrospect even then it might have been a mistake to start Mac Jones in year 1.

He was kept on a tight leash but he started buying into his press clippings too much.

It's obvious to anyone with eyes that Maye has more talent than Brisset. But there's a benefit to waiting a year first. See Patrick Mahomes example.

Remember, if the Patriots did the trade with Minnesota (all things being equal), they could have picked up JJ McCarthy at 10 plus Brian Thomas/Troy Fautanu/Xavier Worthy at 17....and an extra first next year....and some other goodies the Vikings offered when the Patriots were on the clock. Holy Smokes, that would have been a good draft....

Now we have a titanic gamble on our hands. It could work out or be an epic failure for the ages. [Of course, if they made the trade and Maybe became the next Josh Allen we have another epic fail, but at least the Patriots would get two extra first round picks]

Picking the Big Name QB so early in the first round is something that a meddling owner would do. I am not saying that the Krafts forced this pick, but it seems a little suspicious.

Last edited:
Remember, all things being equal and the Patriots did the trade with Minnesota, they could have picked up JJ McCarthy at 10 plus Brian Thomas/Troy Fautanu/Xavier Worthy at 17....and an extra first next year....and some other goodies they offered when the Patriots were on the clock. Holy Smokes, that would have been a good draft....now we have a titanic gamble on our hands. It could work out or could be an hit an iceberg

Picking the Big Name QB so early in the first round is the something that a meddling owner would do. I am not saying that the Krafts forced this pick, but it seems a little suspicious.
Drake Maye's potential is significantly higher than JJ McCarthy's. That makes all the what ifs irrelevant.

Remember, if the Patriots did the trade with Minnesota (all things being equal), they could have picked up JJ McCarthy at 10 plus Brian Thomas/Troy Fautanu/Xavier Worthy at 17....and an extra first next year....and some other goodies the Vikings offered when the Patriots were on the clock. Holy Smokes, that would have been a good draft....

Now we have a titanic gamble on our hands. It could work out or be an epic failure for the ages. [Of course, if they made the trade and Maybe became the next Josh Allen we have another epic fail, but at least the Patriots would get two extra first round picks]

Picking the Big Name QB so early in the first round is something that a meddling owner would do. I am not saying that the Krafts forced this pick, but it seems a little suspicious.
Didn’t the Pats QB whisperers want Maye?

Not really. Mahomes sat, Aaron rodgers sat for 4 years and we are not even competing. Whats the point.

The goal is to make sure tags we put maye in best position to succeed and if it means 1 year on bench so be it. This season is a wasted season. I would be okay if we are the worst team and can get the number 1 pick that we trade next year for buxketloads of draft assets and build the team immediately for amye to take advantage of.

Bears have a loaded team now..

Even Patrick Mahomes sat for all but 1 game of his rookie season.

I would also like Maye to be given the opportunity to hold a clipboard, work on his game in the background, and just sit and learn before having to place him in any danger on the field.
True, but Andy Reid and his staff had the stature to tell everyone from owner on down to GFY when they asked him to play Mahomes.

I'm concerned that Jerrod Mayo and his staff don't.

I said this many times. There was 0% chance we were trading out or not picking a QB. No way Kraft would have allowed it.

Kraft no longer has Bill to take the heat for him and there is a lot of pressure on him after getting the Brady succession wrong, horrible record, firing Bill and hiring a very young management team. Not to mention the documentary that blew up in his face.

Nothing distracts a fanbase, gives them hope and buys goodwill than a shiny new QB - the higher picked the better. This buy Kraft 3 years and fans will be much less pissed at him by then.

I don't expect Maye to start week 1. But if we're week 15 and he's no closer to seeing the field, I think it's fair to raise a red flag.
Belichick said when asked during McAfee how to play this that you evaluate the player each week and when you feel he can handle the position you make the move.

In an ideal world, those of us outside of Patriot Place won't know how close he is or is not to seeing the field, until they are working on a game plan with him as starter.

I think it's likely he'll get some 'garbage time' snaps before the end of the season, maybe the last drive or two if we're being blown out.

I think he only gets more time if the coaching staff is quite convinced by the progress he shows during the season, but everything we read suggests that won't happen.

I think it's very likely that he's just too raw to be put out for entire games next season unless he makes remarkable progress, and that's the only other thing you can do other than 'garbage time' since you need to do a game plan knowing who your starter will be.

Heck, he probably won't be #2 on the depth chart, Zappe is far more likely IMO.

According to Breer, the Patriots rejected trade offers for #3 from the New York Giants and Minnesota Vikings.

Breer: "“Earlier this week, Minnesota offered the Nos. 11 and 23 picks, and its 2025 first-rounder, with pick swaps favoring the Vikings as part of the proposal; and that offer ticked up with New England on the clock,”

If this is true, and I don't doubt it, then the Patriots whiffed on a chance for a major upgrade. Queue the second guessing, but with the Vikings picks the Patriots could have taken OT Fashanu and WR Brian Thomas/Xavier Worthy...or various other combinations including a QB....plus an extra first round next year. Yikes; that would have been an instant upgrade.

Drake Maye better be the Second Coming or else this pick will haunt them for years.

I was part of the Trade down Club but the second Tier QB's were taken really early didn't expect Penix Jr - McCarthy and Nix go as High as they did. So taking Maye was the smart thing to do Wolf knew something.

Last edited:
This is a dumb take. He was picked third in the draft. No he shouldn’t have stayed.
I was thinking the same thing. There's not much better than being the 3rd overall pick.

Throw in the uncertainty around the NCAA and the kid may have gotten out of Dodge just in the nick of time.

Sometimes this place drives me nuts. Acting as if every pick the Patriots take is going to suck and every pick every other team takes is going to be a hall of famer is a terrible way to look at the draft. What's even worse is that these posts look ridiculous with 20/20 hindsight.

Just wait until the season gets going to critique the picks. No pick is the right one YET.
That's true of the individual players picked but trades are a different story. Judging a trade can be looked at more by the picks involved. What exactly is #3 worth vs #6 or #11?

If Maye turns out to be a good QB it'll be a good move to stay at #3. If not the second guessing will be amped way up, especially if one of the QBs taken after him shines.

The debate about who actually made the pick will also get rolling.

It should be fun around here for a while.

The psychologists, I mean, the fans in this thread have definitely earned their pay.

According to Breer, the Patriots rejected trade offers for #3 from the New York Giants and Minnesota Vikings.

Breer: "“Earlier this week, Minnesota offered the Nos. 11 and 23 picks, and its 2025 first-rounder, with pick swaps favoring the Vikings as part of the proposal; and that offer ticked up with New England on the clock,”

If this is true, and I don't doubt it, then the Patriots whiffed on a chance for a major upgrade. Queue the second guessing, but with the Vikings picks the Patriots could have taken OT Fashanu and WR Brian Thomas/Xavier Worthy...or various other combinations including a QB....plus an extra first round next year. Yikes; that would have been an instant upgrade.

Drake Maye better be the Second Coming or else this pick will haunt them for years.

I am not sure I buy the above. The Patriots made it clear they were willing to trade the pick. If we accept that as true, then the above article implies they were holding out for MORE than 3 first rounders, which is absurd.

It may very well be true but I can’t get on board unless I see some more confirmation.

I was thinking the same thing. There's not much better than being the 3rd overall pick.

Throw in the uncertainty around the NCAA and the kid may have gotten out of Dodge just in the nick of time.
Plus it’s football, one wrong step or slip and your career could be done.

Bottom line, they didn’t get the godfather offer they would’ve thought about. People forget, a lot of people had Maye as QB 2 in the draft. Some had him as QB 3, and that’s where he went, but a lot had him as QB 2. I hated the idea of trading down and losing out on a possible franchise QB.

My thought process is, and always has been, and also as we’ve witnessed, you need THAT guy at QB (Mahomes, Burrows, Allen, etc). You need a good/great QB to build towards a winning team, it’s the same in college, you have to have that guy, once that guy gets drafted, sometimes you see that college team struggle for years until they find another one.

Also, QB was our most pressing need. I’m thrilled we stayed put and grabbed Maye.

Minnesota had picks 11 & 23, not 10 & 17.

i don't know the below deck, vanderpump rules, bachelor in paradise drama that our media loves i just know i'm glad we picked maye whoever was involved.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/10: News and Notes
MORSE: Draft Analysis and Thoughts on Patriots Rookie Mini Camp
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
Back