PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

1st down w/45 seconds to go, why didn't we try to get closer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just stating how peoples attitudes change depending on the outcome of 1 thing - sometimes it comes off and you're heralded, sometimes it doesn't and you spend the week taking flack for it, that's life.

Yeah losing a game is bad, but it's only week 2 and it was an NFC opponent so in the grand scheme of things it isn't going to mean a lot and it wasn't as bad as the debacle against Cleveland the other year.

In the end, as bad as the Patriots were they were in a position to win the game and set it up for one of the only consistently good players to win the game for them.

Again, I respect your opinion. I really do. However, I must disagree with the point that the loss doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things. Every loss, just like every win, matters in the grand scheme of things. You're operating under the assumption that the Pats won't have many losses this season. You don't know that, though. We feel we have a really good team, but how do we really know anything until the games are played. AHern should be proof that one key loss can alter the whole picture. He won't be the last injury the Pats suffer this season. One could argue that another key loss could sink the whole season.

The Pats have the Ravens and Broncos in the coming weeks, which are two games they could lose. If that happens, the Pats are suddenly below or right at .500. That's not ever where you want to be. Does that mean they can't win the SB? Of course not. However, it does make the road a lot more difficult. You want to put your team in the best possible position come playoff time and there are only 16 games to do it, not 82 like in the NBA or 162 (or is it 164) in MLB. Every game matters.

That's what I'm saying....people questioned why the didn't run a play so I asked why you wouldn't want to set your kicker up in that situation.

I hear you, UK.

I do think you should consider trying to get him another 10 to 15 yards.
I don't know the numbers but statistically its an easier kick.

Mind you. It hooked off his leg so no matter how close he still pulled it. Pretty much makes the argument redundant.

onwards and upwards.

Last edited:
I do think you should consider trying to get him another 10 to 15 yards.
I don't know the numbers but statistically its an easier kick.

Mind you. It hooked off his leg so no matter how close he still pulled it. Pretty much makes the argument redundant.

onwards and upwards.

No it does not. There are several factors that affect a kick. If the kick wasn't 40+ yards his nerves would/should have been cooler. The distance of the kick was the second most important factor in the missed field goal after the importance of the kick...(I'm assuming the Holder held the ball well)

Because except Billy Cundiff and Stephen Gostkowsky everyone in this league can hit a cheapie like that.

No it does not. There are several factors that affect a kick. If the kick wasn't 40+ yards his nerves would/should have been cooler. The distance of the kick was the second most important factor in the missed field goal after the importance of the kick...(I'm assuming the Holder held the ball well)

Really? I'd say he should have been pretty confident given he had nailed three of longer distance previously in the game. He choked....he failed to execute in a moment of pressure.

That's utter crap.

Last edited:
Really? I'd say he should have been pretty confident given he had nailed three of longer distance previously in the game. He choked....he failed to execute in a moment of pressure.

That's utter crap.

Well I think distance makes kicks tougher. That's part of the reason he choked. You can't compare the three earlier kicks. Totally different situations and pressure.
Would you rather kick a 20yd win or lose FG than a 40+ FG? I'm sure Ghost would have been happier with a shorter FG

Agreed! Gost has a much a different mind set and each situation is different and YES Gost nailed 4 FGs, long distances as well but this is GAME ON'da LINE, get him closer. Brady taken Knees was too premature, BAD call by Belichick......Dropped ball more than Ghost Missin his kick.

My jaw hung slack in amazement as Brady dove to the turf with 45 seconds left! Where was the killer instinct? Where was the nobody messes with us at home mentality? 45 seconds? Brady has moved the team 50yds or more how many times in less than 45 seconds? All we needed was 23yds for a TD!!!! Sad moment in BB/Pats history. The knife had been handed to the Pats by the Cards themselves and all the Pats had to do was stick it in and twist.

Last week the O seemed out of synch at times. This week it was way off at least half the game total. Maybe JD isn't the savoir we believed...

Well I think distance makes kicks tougher. That's part of the reason he choked. You can't compare the three earlier kicks. Totally different situations and pressure.
Would you rather kick a 20yd win or lose FG than a 40+ FG? I'm sure Ghost would have been happier with a shorter FG

I'd sooner kick it with a kicker who has a good record with fourth quarter kicking, has made all four in that game, two of over 50 yards, than risk a sack or negative run play...given he fact our offensive line was terrible in both phases of the offence.

Execution played in to their decision at the end, and they didn't have the confidence in the offence that they did in the kicker in that situation.

Good play call FYi.

If the O did something the first 3 Qs then i think they would have had that killer instinct. But they sucked and in return played conservitive.

It didn't make sense on so many levels. Of course it's already been discussed about playing to win vs playing not to lose, putting the ball in the hands of the greatest QB of all time for 3+ downs vs a KICKER for one play where anything can go wrong, letting a defense off the hook when they were clearly spent and not stopping us. It was horrible management, that's for coaches like Herm Edwards not for BB. Hopefully he learns from this and if we're in the situation again, he doesn't settle for a 42 yard FG.

The one other thing I was totally confused is why put the ball in the middle? From 40+ yards out, it's always seemed to me that having an angle makes for an easier kick. And I always thought Ghost was better being able to angle the kick. That part I never understood either.

It didn't make sense on so many levels. Of course it's already been discussed about playing to win vs playing not to lose, putting the ball in the hands of the greatest QB of all time for 3+ downs vs a KICKER for one play where anything can go wrong, letting a defense off the hook when they were clearly spent and not stopping us. It was horrible management, that's for coaches like Herm Edwards not for BB. Hopefully he learns from this and if we're in the situation again, he doesn't settle for a 42 yard FG.

The one other thing I was totally confused is why put the ball in the middle? From 40+ yards out, it's always seemed to me that having an angle makes for an easier kick. And I always thought Ghost was better being able to angle the kick. That part I never understood either.

The longer the kick, the narrower the angle, the harder the kick.

Also, as I said, offensive execution through the game plays a factor in the decision...they had more faith in their kicker than an offence whose only real success was against a prevent defence in what was garbage time to them.

If the FG is made then nobody would be questioning the call, just like 4th & 2. But alas, it missed so now we get a week of moaning.

If you want to blame anyone - how about Gronk for 15 yards worth of penalties on the last drive (including negating the game winning TD) and dropping a 2 point conversion (albeit with Kerry Rhodes interfering all the way),

Not gonna happen...yet. He's the Gronk, their larger than life character. They won't turn on him for some time yet. Ghost was a binky for a time, mostly because he kicked off 5 yards deeper than Adam who was merely the clutchest money kicker in the league. But now that kickoffs have been moved back they're noticing he's not automatic and Belihick has even struggled with trusting him in the past so... He's up. Brady and Welker are in the on deck circle because Lloyd and Edelman are obviously clutch...and Josh is a superstar.

The longer the kick, the narrower the angle, the harder the kick.

Also, as I said, offensive execution through the game plays a factor in the decision...they had more faith in their kicker than an offence whose only real success was against a prevent defence in what was garbage time to them.

Kicking a ball straight is harder to do too as you get further.

The offensive execution at the time was fine, they were moving at will on AZ's defense dating back to the previous drive. With the game on the line I'll put the ball in the hands of the GOAT QB over a kicker, even if it's AV.

No doubt. But he would have been wide left if was standing on the cross bar.

No doubt. But he would have been wide left if was standing on the cross bar.

You never know. Like it's been pointed out, the mental stress on a kicker when you have to kick a 40+ yarder vs a <30 yarder makes a huge difference.

I mean it would have essentially been an extra point. Huge difference

I agree...go for the throat man. I was pissed to see Brady grab the ball and lunge towards the center of the field.

He could of very easily fumbled on that play (if the concern on the coaching staff was ball security).

You have the momentum, you have the adrenaline, you have plenty of time. Go for the endzone.

Of course hindsight is 20-20 but that is a **** call. Every single time that scenario presents itself, IMHO, you punch that thing in.

a 42 yarder is no gimmie.

Set the gd tempo!!

Last edited:

The offensive execution at the time was fine, they were moving at will on AZ's defense dating back to the previous drive. With the game on the line I'll put the ball in the hands of the GOAT QB over a kicker, even if it's AV.

Kicking a ball from the left or right hash is equally as hard I would argue. It's much easier to think 'I just need to kick it straight' from that distance than it is to thnk 'okay I have to kick it at this angle etc' as you're pacing yourself out.

It's less to think about and less of a mental block. It's no easier kicking from the hashes and, if it wasn't a valid tactic, so many other teams wouldn't do it. I've seen teams center the ball from around 40 yards before. Is hardly unheard of.

Id also say kicking from the middle gives you equal margin for error each side, which is mentally a much better kick too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday