PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2020-2021 NFL Roster Cuts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been asking that question for years. However, the board has been floating around they'll have $110M in cap space next year.
$110m might be high but if we believe a $200m cap figure is in play for 2021, $90m-$100m is pretty realistic.

It does, and they can't deal with it. When we start off 0-4 next year I really wonder how these super optimists on the forum are going to react.
You can only hope.

Not looking to be superbowl contenders. I'll gladly take a 9-7, 10-6 year with several exciting young talented players on offense. I think this current patriots team will not be enjoyable to watch at all. I loved the 96 patriots. Bledsoe, Glenn, Martin, Coates...we weren't as good as Denver but man we had some exciting talented players on offense.
Winning is more fun than exciting.

Edit: my wording may be confusing.

a winning team is more fun than an exciting one

Last edited:
As a full blown BB apologist (the humiliation of thinking he is good has been a tough cross to bear) I think one of his biggest strengths has been his cap management and it's one of the main reasons the team has been successful for so long. Some of his recent "Bust" picks have been so bad they signed top of market 2nd contracts (Mason, Flowers, Jimmy G) and unlike the 2000 dynasty this current run has seen numerous top players leave for big contracts elsewhere so the Pats have continually needed to re-build their talent base which is not easy. Would have been nice last year to have Chandler Jones and Trey Flowers on defense, Solder at LT but that's not the way it works in a capped league. They certainly need some of the picks in the last 3 years to play well this year but that is still certainly possible. Not every player produces for the team immediately (ie: Edelman, Troy Brown, Flowers, Bruschi......)

As a full blown BB apologist (the humiliation of thinking he is good has been a tough cross to bear) I think one of his biggest strengths has been his cap management and it's one of the main reasons the team has been successful for so long. Some of his recent "Bust" picks have been so bad they signed top of market 2nd contracts (Mason, Flowers, Jimmy G) and unlike the 2000 dynasty this current run has seen numerous top players leave for big contracts elsewhere so the Pats have continually needed to re-build their talent base which is not easy. Would have been nice last year to have Chandler Jones and Trey Flowers on defense, Solder at LT but that's not the way it works in a capped league. They certainly need some of the picks in the last 3 years to play well this year but that is still certainly possible. Not every player produces for the team immediately (ie: Edelman, Troy Brown, Flowers, Bruschi......)
No need to be a BB apologist because there is nothing to apologize for.

A few bad draft picks, personnel decisions or game plans doesn't tarnish the statue.

When they start racking up consecutive 8-8 or 4-12 seasons only then will it be for Bill to step aside.

We have drafted poorly now for 6 years. We have no studs left on their rookie contracts which is why we are in cap trouble. Our big money is tied up into past their prime players. This year record wise will be a rude awakening for many patriots fans. I lived through the early 90s, there were some rough years. I think we can turn this around quickly, but Josh Mcdaniels should be stripped of having any say over who we draft on offense, because he stinks at evaluating offensive talent.
I think you might want to drop the point about Skippy...I don't believe he has as much influence in the selection process as you think he does...Otherwise I'd think he would've been part of the hook-up with Little Billy, Little Nicky & the Krafts...

A few bad draft picks, personnel decisions or game plans doesn't tarnish the statue.

It's always the same old story. Some expect perfection when in reality -- as with good investors or poker players -- his edge is maybe 10-15% over other good coaches. But the compounding of that edge over tens of thousands of little decisions each season is what made this almost 20 year run possible despite late draft positions and a salary cap designed to artificially shorten windows.

Lets talk to the Brees Saints or Rodgers Packers about how challenging it is to keep a team consistently in the hunt for over a decade even if they have a HoF-level QB.

Funny, you call Jimmy G, Mason, Flowers a “recent” pick, they were drafted 5-6 years ago. Not recent at all. The return on Jimmy G was horrendous too.

take a look at belichick drafts 2016-2019...one big disaster. Those drafts could have produced talented players on rookie contracts right now, but unfortunately all of our young players besides Thuney are mediocre. Thuney is ready to be shipped out too.

Why is it that Brady and Gronkowski no longer wanted to play for belichick?

sure sure...we’ll see whose right this season.
Ok big boy but you've been wrong for the last 20 years. Your track record is terrible

NG states the team has drafted poorly for past 6 years. I specifically mention picks from 5 and 6 years ago and he now states that is not recent. It is way too early to call the 2018 and 2019 drafts a success or failure. The Pats have not been horrible with drafting the past 6 years. Not true despite how many times it gets repeated. They have had some duds but that was the case over any 6 year stretch during this run.

They absolutely need to hit on some of the picks from 2019 and 2020 but we have no idea if they do or not.

NG states the team has drafted poorly for past 6 years. I specifically mention picks from 5 and 6 years ago and he now states that is not recent. It is way too early to call the 2018 and 2019 drafts a success or failure. The Pats have not been horrible with drafting the past 6 years. Not true despite how many times it gets repeated. They have had some duds but that was the case over any 6 year stretch during this run.

They absolutely need to hit on some of the picks from 2019 and 2020 but we have no idea if they do or not.

Yes, the drafts of the recent several years have been bad. That's true no matter how many times homers try to claim otherwise.

The Patriots just completed the most dominant decade in modern NFL history and the greatest 20 year run ever. The "homers" have been much more correct than the doomsday crowd. Recent drafts have not been perfect but if Harry takes a step forward and Stidham becomes a good QB all of a sudden the 2019 draft was a good one. I am not someone who believes a players career is determined in first 2 years. Others may differ. No one expects the Pats to have another decade like the ones they just had so if that level of success is the acceptable standard then I guess the "Pats suck" crowd will have their day in the sun.

We have drafted poorly now for 6 years. We have no studs left on their rookie contracts which is why we are in cap trouble. Our big money is tied up into past their prime players. This year record wise will be a rude awakening for many patriots fans. I lived through the early 90s, there were some rough years. I think we can turn this around quickly, but Josh Mcdaniels should be stripped of having any say over who we draft on offense, because he stinks at evaluating offensive talent.

Rude awakening??

Hahaha.

We don't even know what the roster will be on opening day. Haven't had a single practice yet. Not one snap has been played yet.

You're unbelievable. No Good Pats Fan.

What does one (a successful HC) have to do with the other (a terrible draft-day GM)?
You know my position on BB and his drafting, I know yours and I don't feel like arguing.

There are more than a few Pats "fans" who post on this site who deep down hope that the early post-Brady period fails, so they can say "told you so!", isn't of hoping to be proven wrong by the success of the early Stidham/Harry/Dugger years. I'll never understand that.

Been like this for over a decade. You disagree with what the patriots front office is doing or criticize Belichick, you get shunned by the apologists here. Same thing over and over again "You probably weren't a fan before 2000" yada yada while most of us have been patriots fans dating back to the 80s.

Then ACT like it instead of being a Negative Nancy.. Show that you've actually LEARNED something over the last 20 years of the Greatest HC since Lombardi..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
Back