PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread 2023 Patriots Official Postgame Thread: Week - 14 NE @ PIT

Immediate Postgame Reactions
Disagree with #2. Mac was given every opportunity here. Too many, to be fair.. It’s over because he’s really, really bad and has low-character.
Zappe has been treated much worse and did fine. Two of his starting wins even came under OC Patricia, who I don’t think was the problem.

Agree completely with point #3.
Mac's got talent and he's smart, but at this point he's not psychologically able to handle the kind of adversity an NFL QB has to face, and his play regressed during the time of his career when it should be ascending. He didn't make the most of his skills, didn't improve, and didn't adapt to changing issues with the team. He wasn't the right fit for this team at this point in its development, and you can only blame the team for so much of that. Zappe seems to have the short memory and positive attitude that's much better for us.

Mac's got talent and he's smart, but at this point he's not psychologically able to handle the kind of adversity an NFL QB has to face, and his play regressed during the time of his career when it should be ascending. He didn't make the most of his skills, didn't improve, and didn't adapt to changing issues with the team. He wasn't the right fit for this team at this point in its development, and you can only blame the team for so much of that. Zappe seems to have the short memory and positive attitude that's much better for us.
Funny how the consensus was Jones was the perfect fit in NE. Turned out he wasn’t a good fit at all. That’s too bad.

The second half started with an interception that was a clear pass interference. There were two penalties that put the offense way behind the sticks. The Steelers made adjustments. Beyond that they won… they can play better, this is his second start this season and the first was in a rainy downpour. Oh yeah, and he had two wide receivers at his disposal because Raegor sucks.
It was.As we saw The Steelers defense woke upz and and realized they were playing the patriots. Zappe is playing with a lot of confidence. For many reasons Mac wasn't. So as a fan whatever QB play is conducive to moving the chains and scoring I'm all for. If Zapp can play well, continue to win then I think by January at seasons end. The organization is going to really have to make some decisions on how they approach the draft.

Funny how the consensus was Jones was the perfect fit in NE. Turned out he wasn’t a good fit at all. That’s too bad.
I know.. Mac and the organization will likely part ways. He deserves another shot somewhere else. I don't know why I keep feeling like he's going to be traded to the 49ers.

It was a cult. Obviously some people were just rooting for the best, but with others it went full cult. Future HoF coach, 52 other guys on the roster— whatever, throw it all under the bus, every single day, every single week, to protect the image of a guy that never did anything here. “It’s the lines fault. It’s the receivers. It’s Patricia. Belichick let him down.” Oh, and the wildest one of them all: “Not even Tom could win a game with this team.”

Good ****ing grief.

Not sure if it was a cult of Mac Jones or a cult of their own ego after the initial bad-take (Mac Jones being good), but it went far beyond ridiculous this season. The guy should consider purchasing a compound.

Last edited:
Exactly. It’s like me saying if my johnson was as small as Venecol’s, I wouldn’t have pulled so many *****es during my single days. I can never prove that.
Why not @ me? Speaking of **** *****es.

Patsgofor4 during his single days:

giphy(4).gif

Patsgofor4 during his married days:

20200730_232605.jpg

No but seriously, I once went to see a pulmonologist and she asked me to drop my pants.

It was a cult. Obviously some people were just rooting for the best, but with others it went full cult. Future HoF coach, 52 other guys on the roster— whatever, throw it all under the bus, every single day, every single week, to protect the image of a guy that never did anything here. “It’s the lines fault. It’s the receivers. It’s Patricia. Belichick let him down.” Oh, and the wildest one of them all: “Not even Tom could win a game with this team.”

Good ****ing grief.

Not sure if it was a cult of Mac Jones or a cult of their own ego after the initial bad-take (Mac Jones being good), but it went far beyond ridiculous this season. The guy should consider purchasing a compound.
I just don’t like his face. He’s a douchebag imo.

Good ****ing grief.

I think the losses coupled with coaching changes is what contributed to the idea the team was treating him unfairly.

But what people tend to underestimate is how new QBs are scouted. You're not going to have as much success the 2nd time around. Coaches figure you out.

With Mac, it was easy to scout him and make him look awful. You just took away the middle of the field, which is where he had all his success. Not long. Not on the perimeter. Once coaches understood that, it was all over for Mac.

I think the losses coupled with coaching changes is what contributed to the idea the team was treating him unfairly.

But what people tend to underestimate is how new QBs are scouted. You're not going to have as much success the 2nd time around. Coaches figure you out.

With Mac, it was easy to scout him and make him look awful. You just took away the middle of the field, which is where he had all his success. Not long. Not on the perimeter. Once coaches understood that, it was all over for Mac.
It's certainly refreshing, for now, to see Zappe having success, which generally he has done when called upon.

Many of us saw the success Mac had his rookie year, saw the coaching weirdness last year and gave him a pass, then hoped against hope this season. Enough variables have been addressed without any success (e.g., coaching staff). Yes, the line would make any QB nervous, but as Zappe showed, they're good enough. It's time.

Zappe coming in and looking non-horrible was a big shot in the arm and we all needed it.

Let's hope he can keep it up going forward.

It was.As we saw The Steelers defense woke upz and and realized they were playing the patriots. Zappe is playing with a lot of confidence. For many reasons Mac wasn't. So as a fan whatever QB play is conducive to moving the chains and scoring I'm all for. If Zapp can play well, continue to win then I think by January at seasons end. The organization is going to really have to make some decisions on how they approach the draft.
They should take a QB anyway, even if Zappe plays great. You can't assume he will continue to improve and you don't leave it to chance.

BB drafted Mac, he also drafted Zappe a year later... keep drafting until you get it right.

He's a mystery cause he has a good enough skill set and he can process fast. He led the offense on a lot of long drives. But his play in big moments just got worse each year.

The real problem is he is not a good fit for the NFL.

The game is too fast for him. He can’t process fast enough to read the defense, call blocking, run his progressions, and deliver the ball on time. He doesn’t play his best when the lights are brightest, he freezes in the spotlight like a deer in the headlights.

That’s not the result of poor coaching or poor development. It is what he is.

It’s too bad, really. At ‘Bama it didn’t matter. College game isn’t as fast, and he was sheltered from the storm by an elite college roster that matched or surpassed any opponent he faced. NFL is faster and more competitive. He’s just not up to it. It’s true, you can’t coach size. And it’s also true you can’t coach speed, whether it’s speed afoot or speed of thought. Unfortunately the latter is McCorkle’s Achilles Heel.

He's a mystery cause he has a good enough skill set and he can process fast. He led the offense on a lot of long drives. But his play in big moments just got worse each year.
I don’t think he can process fast. I never saw it if he can, and I saw a lot of times where he didn’t.

No mystery to me. I saw he lacked the clutch factor from the start. Some think clutchness is overrated. It's not.

Good ****ing grief.

I think too many fans are taking this "one or the other" type approach. Mac Jones clearly failed by his own accords and I think its clear that he cannot handle adversity whether it be during the game or just the situation around him.

at the same time, it is also fair to question giving him a DC/OC, average receivers (they are what they are). and a line that isn't very good. those are all POOR decisions on Bill's part and not how you should support having a QB on a rookie deal.

Now, zappe has made the best of that poor/average situation in 2 season now. standing in the pocket, taking the hits and the coaching. While mac has not handled it well.

But one doesn't preclude the other from being true. I don't think all the stories that came out of last season about Patricia/Judge having no clue from many sources/players within the organization was false.

I also think its a cautionary tale because if we get a high pick and draft a QB this year NO ONE should want them to handle them the same way.

Is this the reason for the ticky-tack PI calls on JC Jackson on Thursday?

It could be, but what they did in the Pats game wasn't right either. The first Jackson DPI was textbook coverage, with a perfectly timed hip pull. Technically, it is pass interference. But it hasn't been called in the NFL for several years now. I don't like it, but clearly the Patriots have been coached up on it.

BTW - if these refs were directed to call DPI on plays where the defender made contact before the ball arrived, that happened on at least two of Zappe's passes that fell incomplete as a result of the non-call. So these refs may have gotten the memo, but their interpretation was wrong.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back